Video of boiling point of fuel

-

duster360

Reaction score
I watched this video test the boiling point of fuel. I noticed around the 6 minute mark that the fuel is at 80 degrees and is vaporizing up the side of the jar and running back down. I guess this is why carburetors drip fuel down into the intake after shutdown. Skip to the 5-6 minute mark.

Last edited:
all I could think of is the thermostat in the hot plate sparking everytime it opens and closes.

I have'ta tell you that ANYTHING starting out "HHO something or other" is IMMEDIATELY suspect in my book.....................

I would be nice to know how much ethanol is in the fuel he's testing. All he keeps saying is "Gas". There are many different types of gas.

all I could think of is the thermostat in the hot plate sparking everytime it opens and closes.

Same here, but I guess it's one or two steps less dangerous than that kid that tried taking gas out of his car with a vacuum cleaner.:D

If you are going to boil alcohol you need to be safe. :lol:
still.jpg

You made me laugh out loud! My brother did that and blew up his garage!!

Maybe it was your Brother I heard about.:D
A long time ago a friend asked me to teach him how to siphon gas, because he had seen me do it a bunch and it looked easy to him.
I told him timing and the amount of resistance in the hose was key, but he tried it and gas was even coming out his nose.:D
I laughed so hard I almost fell down.

Vapor is present in the air below the boiling point of a liquid.

Gasoline is different than water or grain alcohol in that it is a mix of many different molecules. So it has a wide range of temperatures in which components will completely vaporize. A distillation curve is used to show how much vaporizes over this range of temperatures. There are at least two industry standards for testing this. Most race fuels and av gas manufactures will supply at least 5 points on the curve. For pump fuels, the curves are harder to come by. In part this may be because there are so many different blends to address climates, regulations, and economics. However I think its because they really dont want to share.

Here's an illustration of the volatility of some gasolines.
It shows a non-reformulated gasoline from 2007, and one from that time with 8% ethanol. (That's not the same fuel).
Fuel-distillation-2007.png

These curves show that at 150* F, around 7% of the Chevron Premium had evaporated; while the same 150* F caused 30% of the 8% ethanol fuel to evaporate!

For testing purposes there has to be standards. One of these that was widely used when studying reformulated fuel is called Tier 2 EEE. The Tier 2 EEE curve plotted here is from a tested sample used in the ACE Optimal Blend Study 2007. In other studies they use their own baseline. Shown below are distillation curves from some of the fuels from the "CRC-E67" study by Durbin, et al.
Fuel A was the baseline,
Fuel B wsa similar but with 5% eth
Fuel K was a baseline using MTBE laced fuel, 0% ethanol.
Fuel L was similar with MTBE but 10 % eth.
Fuel-distillation-2007-RFGtestsv2.png

Not surprising, the fuels that evaporate more at lower temperatures tend to have a higher Reid Vapor Pressure.
RVP for:
Chevron 6.7
Fuel A 7.74
Fuel L 7.6
Tier 2 EEE 9.07

Last edited:
A long time ago a friend asked me to teach him how to siphon gas, because he had seen me do it a bunch and it looked easy to him.
I told him timing and the amount of resistance in the hose was key, but he tried it and gas was even coming out his nose.:D

Don't forget to cup the balls :rofl:

"When I was a kid" this must have been about '62, I needed some gas for the family lawn mower, and tried to siphon some out of Dad's '60 Poncho, and somehow got a BIG mouthful which I gagged on a swallowed!!!. I was ill for the rest of the day and evening. REALLY felt shitty.

That's vaporizing but not locking.
I've removed the aircleaner's lid after a hot drive, and that's enough to let a noticible portion of the fuel escape to atmosphere instead of being directed into the intake. Then engine revs as it goes lean, then recoveres and repeats. This is with a open style aircleaner, so the lid is mostly providing airflow direction. Without the light end of the gasoline the burn in the chamber is all messed up. It's like trying to start a fire without tinder.

Vapor lock (at least how I use the term) is when vapor bubble forms in the fuel line. The bubble blocks liquid fuel from getting pumped.

Last edited:
-
Back