Vin switch from rusty to trusty?

-

alpha13

Reaction score
I'll try to make this short. Friend bought a dart and decided that it was too rusty for him to save. Frame rails are gone mostly fenders are chewed up trunk is paper thin, floors paper thin. He scored it cheap but it ran and drove. Anyway he pitched me the idea of buying a good body and just switching the vin tags and drivetrain so it was legal to drive. I told him it probably wasn't legal. But I've heard of people selling titles and the dash vin and fender tag together at swap meets. So what part of this makes it illegal. Is there a loophole I need to be aware of? What can he do to make it legal?

Ah, one of those deals huh?....I know nothing about it. I just remember seeing people at meets selling vins and titles together. Thought there was some loophole.

When the car came out of the factory they punched out the VIN tag and attached it to a car that had the equipment as described by the VIN tag. If there were 5 cars in a row (at the factory), all the same color and all with the same options WOULD IT MATTER WHICH CAR GOT WHICH (of the 5) VIN TAGS?? If the mechanic put one of the VIN tags on one of the 5 identical cars and switched it to one of the other 4 identical cars the next day would it change anything??
I don't it matters in the least UNLESS you try to deceive someone when you sell it!! It's the deception that illegal.
You can buy a car rim and build a car around it.

Treblig

They stamped the radiator support and who knows what else with the VIN sequence.

That said, I have all the stuff for a 67 FB fish, including the tag and the bill of sale I got with it.

If you can save the radiator support and the left side trunk gutter do it. That is where the sequence numbers are stamped.

Your buddy might be making license plates for the state or feds for a few years if he does it.
It is illegal, about the same as a stolen car.

Depends on your state laws. My F-150 is legally re-bodied. I held the title to both vehicles. I used the 1979 4x4 frame from one and a 1976 2wd body from another. The state inspected it (with me in another room) and gave me a vin and new title. I still have the 2wd frame and title as the 4x4 vin carried over but since it was a 1976 body it now has a title with a the year as 1976 and the vin states 1979.

So yes it can be legally done but you need to see what your laws on re-bodying are.

As stated there are vin stamps in other location other than the dash.

It is a FEDERAL crime as has been mentioned. ONE reason its against the law, is it discourages someone from stealing your car, and attatching a "swap meet VIN" to it and getting away scott free. Think about it.

Ya and go ahead and beat your kids, sell drugs to children and shoot your neighbor. Other people do so its ok.

If you legally own both vehicles it's up to your local laws. Call your DMV/State Police.

Now if one of the cars has no reason to carry the other VIN than to gain value then I feel that is fraudulent. For example putting a GTX Hemi vin on a slant 6 Satellite.

It is a Federal law, not state law. So what happens if the vin is swapped and then the car is sold across state lines?

But isn't weed illegal federally too? But Colorado sells it....
Not to start ****, I'm just stating that. So for the most part yes it's illegal, but there are some circumstances in which it is legal? Such as two wrecked cars to make one good car but must have both titles in your name. Also, would one have to keep the other wreck to show proof?

This has been commonly done by guys longer than any of us reading this have been alive.
Even before the theft laws were versed with mention of vin tags.
It is easy to do by honest auto enthusiasts as well as the theif so for those who are concerned about being sold a reVIN. Know what to look for to protect yourself.
Threads like this should inform.
If you can't tell then you can always chose to not buy.
No one to blame but yourself. Buyer beware. The snake oil salesman has always been there long before the automobile.
If a person needs the government to protect him from buying a stolen car god help you.
It has been out of their control from the beginning.

Depends on your state laws. My F-150 is legally re-bodied. I held the title to both vehicles. I used the 1979 4x4 frame from one and a 1976 2wd body from another. The state inspected it (with me in another room) and gave me a vin and new title. I still have the 2wd frame and title as the 4x4 vin carried over but since it was a 1976 body it now has a title with a the year as 1976 and the vin states 1979.

So yes it can be legally done but you need to see what your laws on re-bodying are.

As stated there are vin stamps in other location other than the dash.

difference is it has a state issued vin now and not a chrysler vin.

So, if you buy a body to switch the parts to, why would you need to switch the VIN tags also?? Doesn't make sense!! Just buy a body that comes with a title and VIN!!!

I just had that opprotunity to do the same thing your buddy suggested! I parted out a 66 Formula S Barracuda that the body was completely gone, but had the title, VIN tag and build sheet intact and in an envelope! It also came with another 66 Cuda with a nice body, but no title! Could've just switched the VIN tag on the door jamb and gotten a title transfer for $15! Did I do that??? NO!! Why?? Cause it ain't right, it's not the same car, and it's illegal! Instead it took me 3 weeks, 5 trips to the DMV, having the cops come to my house to check out the car, had to get an appraisal, and cost me $95!! But, you know what?? It's legit, it has the correct title, VIN, correct rivits to hold the VIN plate on (try finding those when you do your swap), and it's mine, free and clear!! Do what you want, but that is the reason lots of people get burned in this hobby, because of this very thing!!

This has been commonly done by guys longer than any of us reading this have been alive.
Even before the theft laws were versed with mention of vin tags.
It is easy to do by honest auto enthusiasts as well as the theif so for those who are concerned about being sold a reVIN. Know what to look for to protect yourself.
Threads like this should inform.
If you can't tell then you can always chose to not buy.
No one to blame but yourself. Buyer beware. The snake oil salesman has always been there long before the automobile.
If a person needs the government to protect him from buying a stolen car god help you.
It has been out of their control from the beginning.

A guy takes two cars and makes one good one is healthy for out 45+ year old stuff. Plus there may be leftover parts. Who really gives a F which one has the VIN?

If a guy was restoring a SS fish back to "the day" but drivable, wouldn't he be better off putting the rare race stuff on a good dohner and being able to drive it? Is the car better or worse that way?

It is illegal on the federal level and unlike Colorado, you will not pass go and collect $200 on your way to jail.

This isn't a rebodied pickup truck (Think: No Frame). It's not re-tagging a tagless car. It's fraud, plain and simple.

Tell your buddy to ****** off, delete your post here, and pull your head out of your *** before you post online.

-
Back