Vise

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I like checking out garage/estate sales once in a while. Went to one today and found this vise. I needed one, but was too cheap to get a good named one, or what I thought was a good name. I looked at HF and for close to the same price as the brand name ones, I said hell no way! HF is ok for consumables like rags and some sand paper, filters for spray guns...what not. It's a 4 1/2 in Craftsman, and I got it for $25. Almost half of what a brand new one costs. I'm happy with it. Also found a fire extinguisher that was still full, never used for $2. Ok, thanks.

Attachments

• WP_20131005_001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 352
Cool find, I bought a vice from princess auto (similar to HF) and the dam screw stripped on it. My old craftsman vice is still holding up after 20 years.

Nice deal & a fair price. I'm a firm believer that most used items, if still in good shape are only worth half of what they cost new. I too need a bench vise & would've jumped on that deal too!

Great find! I always try to tell folks to buy the BEST vise you can afford, OR get an OLD one.

Looks very similar to this one I got from my neighbor... it had been rusting in his side yard since he replaced his old garage. It has a bit more "patina" as you can see.

Attachments

• vise.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 269
Nice score! I've got a smaller version of MVH's that I bought for $15 at a sale!

Found a cool one,in the grandfather's machinist's box last year. Small and efficient, has a threaded mounting point,to adjust. Damn this is nice. American made(probably 40?'s) . Walked by it,for 30 years of wrenching, now a see it. Nice piece of equipment. Not heavy battle zone,light and versatile.

Nice find Abodybomber! I finally fastened the bench down, and the vise is anchored. I forgot to get flat washers for the nuts on the bottom.....DOH!!! I also picked up a scrap piece of 2x10 for the backboard. Worked out nice. Now I need to get a piece of steel for it. Nothing too heavy, 16 gauge would be ok. It's not like I'll be pounding the crap out of anything.....LOL

Nice find. It looks like it was made by Columbian which is a good vice company. tmm

I have a Rock Island. 574 near new condition (estate sale ).and a Model 72440 small vise to get things done with.

Attachments

• 20131102_123512.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 146
-
Back