W-2 heads W/ hyd cam?

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
I have a nice set of hogged out W-2 heads,(edelbock victor intake, T&D rockers) i pulled off a race motor. 208 intake valves. Has the dual pattern for W-2 headers and factory headers, so I assume these are the econo heads. Ported very well, i have not had them cc'd. The motor had 13.5 to 1 compression and a 690 roller cam. Here is the question. I am currently putting together a 20 over 340 with an early mopar performance 3:51 stroke crank. Je (srp) pistons 10.5-1.(369 cubic inch) Will these heads work with a mild cam and will it need to be solid lift or can i get away with a hydraulic grind, or am i defeating the purpose of using the W-2's and should I just buy a set of edelbrock heads for this app.
I have the heads, seems like the cheapest way to go to get power.

If anyone has had an experience with a similar build what was the specs on your cam or any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. This is important, street driven 70% and raced 30% currently 4:30 gear w/ 4 spd. (500 miles a year).

I have a nice set of hogged out W-2 heads,(edelbock victor intake, T&D rockers) i pulled off a race motor. 208 intake valves. Has the dual pattern for W-2 headers and factory headers, so I assume these are the econo heads. Ported very well, i have not had them cc'd. The motor had 13.5 to 1 compression and a 690 roller cam. Here is the question. I am currently putting together a 20 over 340 with an early mopar performance 3:51 stroke crank. Je (srp) pistons 10.5-1.(369 cubic inch) Will these heads work with a mild cam and will it need to be solid lift or can i get away with a hydraulic grind, or am i defeating the purpose of using the W-2's and should I just buy a set of edelbrock heads for this app.
I have the heads, seems like the cheapest way to go to get power.

If anyone has had an experience with a similar build what was the specs on your cam or any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. This is important, street driven 70% and raced 30% currently 4:30 gear w/ 4 spd. (500 miles a year).

Chances are the W2's have been ported for high rpm. Not knowing the airspeed in the ports or the min. cross section, I'd have to say they are probably too big for that app.
But...you could try them since you have them. I would use the comp extreme hi-lift 285 cam but have it cut on a 108lca and install it 4° advanced.

Chances are the W2's have been ported for high rpm. Not knowing the airspeed in the ports or the min. cross section, I'd have to say they are probably too big for that app.
But...you could try them since you have them. I would use the comp extreme hi-lift 285 cam but have it cut on a 108lca and install it 4° advanced.

Ditto, couldn't have said it better myself.

If they seem to not work, I have a set of 70 T/A heads ported by Bob Mullens I would work out a trade for. I would think they would work better and have value to them. They are currently on my motor. I am running a tunnelram and could use the upper rpm HP.

I actually have the 275 extreme energy hi-lift cam (108 c/l and 4 degrees advance) in the motor I ran with some j-heads and a strip dominator intake, 331 stroke crank, and seemed real flat. best 13.05 with 4.56 gears and a 4200 stall 29" tires. I know it was probaly due to the heads, not having much done to them other than 2.02's and very mild clean-up in bowls. i have an opportunity to sell this w-2 set up to finance new heads, Is this the way to go? and what head would you reccomend OU812? The rumble I don't care about, I want to be able to run Sunoco 94 and make as much H.P as possible.

Thanks again, Guys.

Appreciate the good advice.

I actually have the 275 extreme energy hi-lift cam (108 c/l and 4 degrees advance) in the motor I ran with some j-heads and a strip dominator intake, 331 stroke crank, and seemed real flat. best 13.05 with 4.56 gears and a 4200 stall 29" tires. I know it was probaly due to the heads, not having much done to them other than 2.02's and very mild clean-up in bowls. i have an opportunity to sell this w-2 set up to finance new heads, Is this the way to go? and what head would you reccomend OU812? The rumble I don't care about, I want to be able to run Sunoco 94 and make as much H.P as possible.

Thanks again, Guys.

Appreciate the good advice.

With that much gear you need a mech. cam IMO. You are probably going through the traps now about 6300-6500rpm?
I can tell you hogged out ANYTHING does not mean good flowing HP making heads...it means HOGGED OUT and only that!

W2's can usually be made to work, even if someone has done a poor job, so I'd have to actually inspect them and flow them to see where they are but another set of W2's untouched and correctly ported is a great way to go.

Don't base your outlook on the W2's and the hyd. cam on the poor performance of your old engine...but I can say you need a mech. cam to take advantage of that rpm!!

I would think buying a mechanical cam and lifters and keeping the W2's would be cheaper. I know there's better cams out there but the MP .590 solid cam performs well and it's not expensive. Alternatively the .557 cam isn't bad either and would offer a little more valve to piston clearance if that's a problem.

I would think buying a mechanical cam and lifters and keeping the W2's would be cheaper. I know there's better cams out there but the MP .590 solid cam performs well and it's not expensive. Alternatively the .557 cam isn't bad either and would offer a little more valve to piston clearance if that's a problem.

guitar jones these cams will work fine with 10.5:1 C.R. and run ok on pump gas???? The compression I have come up with is from using a 65 cc head, -5 CC on piston dome and .008 negative piston clearance. I believe these heads could be a 62 Cc which i know will change the C.R, and I know I have to get these heads CC'd, that is my next step. i appreciate the info so far.

Thanks again.

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

-
Back