W2 408 build

-
I ended up going off the deep end because of this thread.
W2s ported by Shady Dell
Custom solid roller. 648
Harland Sharp 1.6s
Crower Xtreme duty Hippo oiled offset lifters

There goes the budget.....

I ended up going off the deep end because of this thread.
W2s ported by Shady Dell
Custom solid roller. 648
Harland Sharp 1.6s
Crower Xtreme duty Hippo oiled offset lifters

There goes the budget.....
Any updates, how did it turn out?

Just assembling motor now...
I have a lot of irons in the fire...
Too many passions and toys.

will do. I hope to have it finashed in the next few weeks. If I can find a reasonably priced Dyno around here I will break it in/leak check it on the dyno .

I would also like to run that Dual plane W2 M1 back to back against the Victor .

will do. I hope to have it finashed in the next few weeks. If I can find a reasonably priced Dyno around here I will break it in/leak check it on the dyno .

I would also like to run that Dual plane W2 M1 back to back against the Victor .
That should be an interesting comparison!

I would like to run that Dual plane W2 M1 back to back against the Victor .

I'd really like to see that comparison.....especially before I spend a bunch of money welding and grinding a perfectly good LD340 to fit my W2's. I did track down a M1 W2 dual plane but since my W's have rectangular ports I would have to weld and grind it too so I guess I will sacrifice the LD340.

Any updates, how did it turn out?

I am curious what color your '69 is as it looks similar to mine which is R4.
348.jpg

I am curious what color your '69 is as it looks similar to mine which is R4.View attachment 1715230628
Funny you should ask, my car is currently Hemi orange, but is originally R4 Red and will be again in a few years. Your car looks awesome! By the way if you decide to sell your W2 dual plane please let me know.

I'm terribly sorry about my response time on this, it actually slipped my mind until I re-read entire thread today. The pan only hangs below k frame 1-1.5" max. I will get photos tonight for you. Much more clearance than I expected, I thought it would hang down like a big block pan.

I realize this post is almost a year old but for those that may read this to get some information on oil pans you might want to consider getting a pan from Kevco. they make beautiful pans that aren't too expensive mine holds an extra quart and does not come below the K frame.
20151215_103716.jpeg

Funny you should ask, my car is currently Hemi orange, but is originally R4 Red and will be again in a few years. Your car looks awesome! By the way if you decide to sell your W2 dual plane please let me know.

I will...so how is your car running? The two colors are very close.

really though... what is the line between normal rpms and high rpms ? 7k ? 7500?
I dont think of my motor as radical but I feel my valvetrain and oiling system is good to 7500... maybe 8k for brief moments...

As to color it appears there will be 3 R4 W2 strokers running around the countryside spreading mayhem.... and at least 2 are 4sp...lol

I chose the Kevco pan as well.

really though... what is the line between normal rpms and high rpms ? 7k ? 7500?
I dont think of my motor as radical but I feel my valvetrain and oiling system is good to 7500... maybe 8k for brief moments...

As to color it appears there will be 3 R4 W2 strokers running around the countryside spreading mayhem.... and at least 2 are 4sp...lol

I chose the Kevco pan as well.

My '69 is R4 and not a little engine my '70 is W2 4 spd. but it is Hemi orange. I had Liberty build me a Hemi trans with an alum. A body tail stock.

ooops... wrong thread for the RPMs comment...lol

How much did that Liberty trany set you back ?

I will...so how is your car running? The two colors are very close.
The car runs great! It has a tremendous amount of power yet has nice street manners. I swapped the 3.55 gears for the 2.94's recently. This makes for an awesome highway car but not so much fun around town, although I can fully engage clutch without using throttle. I will swap to the 3.23 gears which I feel will be the ticket. This winter I am toying with the idea of converting to a Holley Sniper EFI system. So far I am very pleased. I will take it to the track in 2019.

wow....2.9s ! Whats that like from 60-90 ? passes in a heartbeat I am sure.
I am going to use a 65 trany with a 3.09 first just so I can smooth out first gear at crawl speeds.
Do you have any issue with feeling the cam lope at very low speeds?

wow....2.9s ! Whats that like from 60-90 ? passes in a heartbeat I am sure.
I am going to use a 65 trany with a 3.09 first just so I can smooth out first gear at crawl speeds.
Do you have any issue with feeling the cam lope at very low speeds?
I am also using the 65 3.09 box, and with the 2.94 gears combined with the lightweight flywheel I do get a little surge in 1st idling along. This may be able to be tuned out to some degree, like I said I think 3.23 will be ideal. I can say that mid way through first, and all through second gear it will incinerate the street tires with ease even with the 2.94 gears. Highway speed passing puts a large smile on ones face!!

Just read through this thread and great build! Love how stock looking everything is too. My engine builder was also a stock eliminator racer and held the title for several years so I can agree that those guys know how to get engines to make power. The W2 setup he put together for me has ran mid 10’s and 128 mph with a bad DA. And I still go fill it with 91. With the overdrive transmission, it’s a great setup for both worlds. But sometimes I’d love to be grabbing those gears instead!

I am also using the 65 3.09 box, and with the 2.94 gears combined with the lightweight flywheel I do get a little surge in 1st idling along. This may be able to be tuned out to some degree, like I said I think 3.23 will be ideal. I can say that mid way through first, and all through second gear it will incinerate the street tires with ease even with the 2.94 gears. Highway speed passing puts a large smile on ones face!!

Nice build
I just did a street car W2 build, I went solid roller

20 lb Mcleod SFI flywheel here as well.

And solid roller like Daves.

This gives me some insight into what the manners of my motor will be.

The car runs great! It has a tremendous amount of power yet has nice street manners. I swapped the 3.55 gears for the 2.94's recently. This makes for an awesome highway car but not so much fun around town, although I can fully engage clutch without using throttle. I will swap to the 3.23 gears which I feel will be the ticket. This winter I am toying with the idea of converting to a Holley Sniper EFI system. So far I am very pleased. I will take it to the track in 2019.

I don't know about the Holley system but I have the Fi Tech and it works very well they are self learning but ne prepared to do a little tweeking and also
20171215_170449 (1).jpg
the throttle body looks alot like an old Carter carb.

ooops... wrong thread for the RPMs comment...lol

How much did that Liberty trany set you back ?
A lttle over $2000....all hemi internals that were shot peened and cryogenic treatment upgraded interlock setup and they added an A body aluminum tail stock.

What size rear tire are you using? I have 3.91 with a 275/60/15 which is about 28" tall.....and you are throwing into second pretty quickly.

-
Back