wagon pics added........painting roll cages

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
I've always spent countless hours prepping and taping up the inside of the car when the time came to paint the cages in my cars. Then getting inside and spray bombing with rattle can wheel paint. It always turned out nice, but scratched off really easy from climbing over the door bars.

So, I just got a cage put in my Volare wagon street/strip car. I had read about painting the cage with Rustoleum Hammered paint and a foam brush. Some guys had said it looks great and is very durable. so I gave it a try, and I'm very impressed. only took about 2 hours to do the whole thing, and it was completely dry about 3 hours later.

It looks very professional, and the Hammered texture looks great. I thought I would share this with anyone who is planning a roll cage install in the near future.

View attachment IMG_4524.jpg

View attachment IMG_4526.jpg

View attachment IMG_4525.jpg

Dam that looks good. I did the same as you, rattle cans taping and masking everything off and like you said it gets scratched very easy. I had my side bars coated in rainbow gold to get rid of the scratches, but not cheap. Next time I'm going your route, especially if it's durable.

I used the rustolum and foam brush on my duster cage works great and its real thick ..

Did the same with gloss black.... holding up good so far.

I used the roll gauge/ suspension spray cans from AutoZone, primes and paints at the same time, plus the satin black makes it look like powder coating.

Paint job looks good though.

And you're just gonna dangle the little piece of meat in front of all of us. How bout some shots of the whole car? lol

Cage looks real good!

Yup, I did the Hammerd tone paint on my cage after moving out to the mid west....I had the cage in the car for YEARS in Colorado and never needed to paint it, never rusted...I moved to Indiana and BOOM, the thing starts rusting in like 5 minutes, lol! Darn humidity.

Yup, I did the Hammerd tone paint on my cage after moving out to the mid west....I had the cage in the car for YEARS in Colorado and never needed to paint it, never rusted...I moved to Indiana and BOOM, the thing starts rusting in like 5 minutes, lol! Darn humidity.

I did the roll cage paint from oriellys, lasted about 6 months in the garage--total junk!

This may help too, at Home depot they sell clear plastic covers for florescent lights, the long tube bulbs. They come in 8 ft lengths and you just cut and slip it over the door bar or where ever you want the protection.

I've always spent countless hours prepping and taping up the inside of the car when the time came to paint the cages in my cars. Then getting inside and spray bombing with rattle can wheel paint. It always turned out nice, but scratched off really easy from climbing over the door bars.

So, I just got a cage put in my Volare wagon street/strip car. I had read about painting the cage with Rustoleum Hammered paint and a foam brush. Some guys had said it looks great and is very durable. so I gave it a try, and I'm very impressed. only took about 2 hours to do the whole thing, and it was completely dry about 3 hours later.

It looks very professional, and the Hammered texture looks great. I thought I would share this with anyone who is planning a roll cage install in the near future.

View attachment 1714799318

View attachment 1714799319

View attachment 1714799320[/QUOTE

Are those Summit wheels??? LOVE the hammer tone paint!!

Alright, here's the wagon.

View attachment IMG_4543.jpg

View attachment IMG_4542.jpg

Its a 410 cubic inch with ported Edelbrock RPM Performers. It has a solid flat tappet with around .589 and .605 inch lift. Don't remember the cam specs to the "T". I have them wrote down in the shop. Has a port matched Air Gap and 1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers. Transmission is a 999 with an aftermarket 2.74 first gear. Turbo action 3800 stall converter with an auburn locker and 3.73 gears in the 8 3/4 rear end. Has frame connectors welded up through the floor, and a 12 gallon fuel cell and battery mounted in the spare tire well. All of it is under the hinged floor in the back, under the tailgate.

Has 28x10.5 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials on the rear and skinnies on the front. Has Caltracs and Calvert shocks all the way around. the car weighs 3420lbs with me in it.

I drive it everywhere. Have driven it to the track and ran low 7.30's lots of times. The best it has ever been was 7.302 and it spun the tire off the line just a bit due to poor track prep that night. Had the track been prepped better I feel that it would have went in the 7.26 to 7.29 range.

View attachment 1714799318

View attachment 1714799319

View attachment 1714799320[/QUOTE

Are those Summit wheels??? LOVE the hammer tone paint!!

They are Jegs wheels. I just happen to have the Centerline center caps laying around, so I used them.

-
Back