Wanna see what winning the lottery looks like?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Pulled my intake to swap on a new one and my pops is like, (WHAT THE F@CK IS THAT!) I'm standing on the passenger side and am like what? I dont see anything?

he says come over here and look. I come to the driver side and I'm looking in the valley, looking at cam looking looking lobes, look all over, not seeing anything, so I'm like what the hell are you looking at?

He sticks his finger in #6 intake port and says, THAT, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

20180806_112541_zpsimnasmgy.jpg

Well God dam!! I was wondering where in the hell that throttle bolt went to. It's been right there for, I dont know, 6 months. Driving around at 5,000 RPM.....

pulled it out, bore scoped the valve and ran a leak down and all is fine....

WOW.......

Amazing! If it were me it would have got in the hole smashed everything popped out across the intake to the other side smashed everything on that side too.
Time to buy that lottery ticket.

Not the time for a lottery ticket cuz your 5 months of luck is done. Aren't you glad you didnt hog those intakes out?

Pulled my intake to swap on a new one and my pops is like, (WHAT THE F@CK IS THAT!) I'm standing on the passenger side and am like what? I dont see anything?

he says come over here and look. I come to the driver side and I'm looking in the valley, looking at cam looking looking lobes, look all over, not seeing anything, so I'm like what the hell are you looking at?

View attachment 1715207751

Well God dam!! I was wondering where in the hell that throttle bolt went to. It's been right there for, I dont know, 6 months. Driving around at 5,000 RPM.....

WOW.......
:-0

I had a Carter 500 4bbl on my 65 dart gt sl6 4spd car. I was driving it home from a job, and the idle kept increasing like it was stuck on the fast idle cam. I kept trying to kick it down off of the cam, but it wasn't really working. Finally pulled overy at my mother in law's house to take a look and found that the screws for the throttle plates, which are supposed to be swedge- locked in, were MIA, and the plates were working their way out of the slots in the throttle shafts and holding the engine at a faster and faster idle. I bought that carb brand new, and had been driving it for at least a year. I don't know where those screws ended up, just know they disappeared. I called Carter and they said I was crazy that could never happen. I think Carter disappeared shortly after that.

WOW.......
As per the thread title... you ALWAYS PAY ,in Cali ...:)

10920600.png

Thank God it was a square head bolt and not a hex, it hung up vs dropped in....

Had a T/A 340 in my 70 Duster in 1981 and was adjusting the timing and carb, had the air cleaner loose with the nut sitting on top of it. I moved the distributor while it was running and goosed the throttle, it backfired, the air cleaner went off the side of the engine, and the nut hit the hood and went right down the carb. The engine quit and white smoke came out the drivers sidepipe. That was the end of the 340. I took the intake and head off an there was a valve stuck sideways in the piston. You indeed got very lucky!

Had a T/A 340 in my 70 Duster in 1981 and was adjusting the timing and carb, had the air cleaner loose with the nut sitting on top of it. I moved the distributor while it was running and goosed the throttle, it backfired, the air cleaner went off the side of the engine, and the nut hit the hood and went right down the carb. The engine quit and white smoke came out the drivers sidepipe. That was the end of the 340. I took the intake and head off an there was a valve stuck sideways in the piston. You indeed got very lucky!
Murphy's Law right there: "whatever can happen, will happen, and at the worst possible time."

The first slant six I ever tore down was in a salvage yard. Popped the head off and there was a broken screwdriver tip laying in the cylinder, and the piston was smashed. I kept the head for years and even rebuilt it. It had a "+" stamped in one cylinder from the tip that broke off

You are very lucky indeed!

I too have seen the results of a piston contacting a valve (or similar solid foreign object).
Friend and I got an original '73 Challenger for parts about 25 years ago. It wasn't running due to some sort of internal (340) engine failure.
I eventually peered inside all the plug holes and found one with inside damage. Once the intake and head were removed, it became evident that an intake valve had snapped off and bottom part was crushed in the chamber. The upper portion stayed in the guide - with spring and retainer still attached.
Then, the pan was removed and 'faulty' piston / rod pulled off. End result was severely broken piston but unaffected rod and (cast) crank. Even the spiro type locks were still in place but severe damage to piston and lots of dimples and dents in head surface of chamber (from valve pieces being tossed and squeezed).
We ended up sleeving that cylinder and the block still sits as it was back then, plus the crank - sans the damper.
I used the cylinder heads, yes with light resto on damaged chamber, on my '74 E58 engine in 2002 - as the same casting no. for both engines. Five years later the car was sold.
I suppose smaller metal pieces may pass thru - but the larger ones will for sure create serious damage.
You indeed got lucky - this time. :steering:

Amazing! If it were me it would have got in the hole smashed everything popped out across the intake to the other side smashed everything on that side too.
Time to buy that lottery ticket.
Sad but True, he is one lucky s.o.b.

WOW.......
If it was me, it would have came out the side of the muffler!!

-
Back