Want disc brakes, what to do?

-
Hey Iron Mike

I'm running sbp ralleys and and no issues with the calipers. I plan to put on 14 inch steel wheels and poverty dish hubcaps. I've been told that they will work as well. The only problem that you would have using the Scarebird bracket is when you use 13 inch wheels.

Would like to keep it simple, so small pattern would bethe way I guess.

If I go with BBP disc up front, what then on the rear?

do yourself a favor and go large bolt pattern. in the long run the parts are cheaper, more avalible and there are a ton more wheels available. in my opinion going through the work of going small bolt disc is crazy unless its a concourse resto.

as far as the rear bolt pattern goes, you should be able to find a large bolt pattern 7 1/4 rear pretty cheap because there isn't much demand for them. and if you plan on adding any power tot he car down the road your gonna need to upgrade the rear anyway so you'll go either 8 1/4 (all ready large bolt) or an 8 3/4 rear thats easy to change over to large bolt.

74 with front drums???????
I thought all 73 and newer had disks from the factory.
Never heard of that and have never seen one.
Please if anybody has a factory one let me know.
Look at the K memeber mounts (are they spool?) and see what is really been changed on that car.
I bet that car was wrecked or some body changed the "K" or components to the drums.
Beat me with a stick if I am wrong I have big shoulders.

I have a 73 swinger with all 4 drums and sbp. In the process of changing that. This was my grandmas car.. pretty sure its original.

A body with front drums got SBP throughout the build years. 8 1/4 cars were disc brake cars.

The cheapest swap would be to find a set of spindles/calipers from an FMJ body car. It does make the front BBP. The wheel choices for you in SBP are limited and the brake systems with SBP are either stock KH brakes or some of the aftermarket stuff.
If you go with FMJ spindles, what lower ball joints do you use? I have a set of M-body spindles that I got form Tony Fields, and I remember there is something different about the steering arm or ball joint, but am drawing a blank about what it is.....

If you go with FMJ spindles, what lower ball joints do you use? I have a set of M-body spindles that I got form Tony Fields, and I remember there is something different about the steering arm or ball joint, but am drawing a blank about what it is.....

Use the 73-76 A body lower ball joint if putting them on an A body car.

Moog #'s K781 & 783

Pics of the FMJ spindles with 73-76 A body ball joints.

brakeconversion001-1.jpg

brakeconversion002-1.jpg

You can bolt 11.75 rotors and Viper calipers right on to a 1974 drum brake spindle. That is a fairly easy swap since it bolts right on, but it does convert the front wheels over to the 4.50 bolt pattern.

You can bolt 11.75 rotors and Viper calipers right on to a 1974 drum brake spindle. That is a fairly easy swap since it bolts right on, but it does convert the front wheels over to the 4.50 bolt pattern.

That just sounds too easy...

Tell me it's true.

Picture:
AR Engineering caliper kit, and Viper caliper.

Attachments

• Viper Caliper #1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 166
-
Back