want higher rear ride height w/o airshocks

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
I currently have air shocks on my 68 dart, love the higher ride height but obviously it rides rough, well one of the shocks are bad so im replacing it with some monroe spring assisted shocks. My question is, is there ANY known shocks that would raise my ride height that ride smoother than air shocks? My assumption is Im going to have to put on these monroe's then have my springs re-arched or replaced and that is kinda pricey.

thanks

shocks im going with, for reason on compressed and extension specs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-58496ST/?rtype=10

well anything using the shock to hold up the car is bad news... just a matter of time before you rip the whole mount out of the body...

new springs is what you need, and correct shocks...

I suggest longer adjustable shackles if you want to go the route to provide the most stock like ride. Spring assisted shocks would be about like the stiff air shocks. New longer shackles are easy to put on and pretty cheap also alot of parts stores stock them now. Shouldnt affect pinion angle or anything like that aslong as you dont raise it to much. If you go to high youll get into an area that affects pinion angle, ride, braking and so on. This is of course a temporary fix and if your springs are just worn out i would swap on a set of super stock springs.

Cheap pair of half leafs from JC Whitney will lift it about 2 inches also.

well anything using the shock to hold up the car is bad news... just a matter of time before you rip the whole mount out of the body...

new springs is what you need, and correct shocks...

never even considered that happening, thanks for the info

I had too low a ride with my mono leafs. I called Calvert Racing and they sold me some back halves that raised it 2", which doesn't sound like much but was a HUGE difference. I love the mono leafs. They run about $390 for a full set. Add Caltracs for $190 and you won't be sorry.

Not trying to knock anybody's ideas, BUT, springs are what hold the car up and support the weight. They are designed to work with the stock length shackles. Longer shackles are not the correct answer, because they increase lateral force on the leaf springs and can cause the shackle to rip out the mount on the rear of the frame. Shocks are also only meant as a dampening device to help keep the tires in contact with the road, NOT to hold up any weight. The market through the years has gotten "smart" coming up with fancy coil spring assisted shocks and whatnot, but unless you're running a dedicated coilover suspension, these are incorrect as well, because they keep the leaf spring from working properly. I don't even like to run gas charged shocks on a leaf spring car because even they have an effect on how the springs work. So, that leaves the springs themselves. You can either get a different set of springs or add some leafs to the spring packs that you have. Many people have done all of the above mentioned incorrect mods to raise cars, but it will either make the car unsafe, or even ultimately fail.

I know the shackles werent the "correct" fix i was simply suggesting them as an alternative to the coil and air shocks because in my mind the upper shock mounts would be more likely to fail before the rear shackle mount setup. Thats why i at the end of my post i said it was a"temporary" fix until springs were had. :thumleft:

like a add a leaf spring kit? This sounds like a good cheap temp fix till I have the $400 to spend on the correct springs?

As my kids say - it's only money, daddy. You'll make more. Seriously, though. You have a Mopar. Get a second or third job ... you'll need it! :)

i have ran air shocks for years and never had a shock mount fail. but i dont blast them full with 150 psi either. the PO had auto zone shackles on my duster when i bought it, and you could feel the rear end shifting in the corners

I know the shackles werent the "correct" fix i was simply suggesting them as an alternative to the coil and air shocks because in my mind the upper shock mounts would be more likely to fail before the rear shackle mount setup. Thats why i at the end of my post i said it was a"temporary" fix until springs were had. :thumleft:

Gotchya.

like a add a leaf spring kit? This sounds like a good cheap temp fix till I have the $400 to spend on the correct springs?

400 bucks? Are they gold plated?

Blunt, as usual, but correct! :D

Not trying to knock anybody's ideas, BUT, springs are what hold the car up and support the weight. They are designed to work with the stock length shackles. Longer shackles are not the correct answer, because they increase lateral force on the leaf springs and can cause the shackle to rip out the mount on the rear of the frame. Shocks are also only meant as a dampening device to help keep the tires in contact with the road, NOT to hold up any weight. The market through the years has gotten "smart" coming up with fancy coil spring assisted shocks and whatnot, but unless you're running a dedicated coilover suspension, these are incorrect as well, because they keep the leaf spring from working properly. I don't even like to run gas charged shocks on a leaf spring car because even they have an effect on how the springs work. So, that leaves the springs themselves. You can either get a different set of springs or add some leafs to the spring packs that you have. Many people have done all of the above mentioned incorrect mods to raise cars, but it will either make the car unsafe, or even ultimately fail.

i think the $400 is for the mopar xhd springs, new for a set
the SS springs are about $250 new for the set
caltracs springs are also expensive it says "starting at $378" on their website

I run gas charged load levelers on the rear of 4 of my cars now for 8-10 years including some racing with them and they never created any handling or other problems for me. They give just a bit of lift and the ride is great much better than pumped up air shocks

You are right on the money here with your response!

I bought some springs from Mancini Racing a couple of years ago for my 69 Barracuda, and got the set with an extra 2" lift built into the springs. I don't see them currently on their web site though. My rear springs were sagging really bad so the 2" lift made the rear end of the car higher than I thought it would be, but it's not too bad. I've grown to like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it normal for the right rear spring to sag after a while once the springs settle and you put some torque to the pavement with hard launches, some burnouts and driving it like you should?

What is the fix? Add a leaf, re arch?

I just bought some add a leafs with the intention of removing a leaf from the factory pack and replacing it with the added new one. I just need a ittle lift without a huge rake on the car. I got a set on ebay for $20. The spring rate might not be the same as OE, but I kinda want a stiffer spring in the rear anyway. Its not a family care anymore! As previously mentioned, as long as you don;t get the pinion angle out of sorts you are fine.

-
Back