Warmed-over 360+16 year old=too much?

-
In general I was a mild mannered kid. But still did a lot of crazy stuff behind the wheel. Should be dead a few times over. No way I would hand and serious power to young male.

funny, our posts are almost mirror images in time and message - must mean something :)

Exactly! My dad told me, "If you blow up the slant six, maybe we will put a 318 in it. Otherwise, you can wait til you are 18." He knew I wouldn't be able to blow it up...I tried. I was alot like him, a bit of an adrenaline junkie, and he saw it. Thank god.

Yes, too much. A 360 plus testosterone is giving him a deadly weapon. How would you feel if anything happened to him? He's too young, someday when he has a son he'll understand.

I agree. Even a stock 360 is too much. He likes to tell me how fast he went down this hill, or around this bend, on his bicycle. I worry my brown hair away when he is out on his bike. I trust him, but, crap happens. I don't like gambling.

I started out with a Daisy Red Rider. I got a .22 when I was older. Next was a .30-30 past from father to son.

When I was old enough and responsible enough to buy my own rifle, I got a .300 win mag.

That same basic plan should be followed with teenage boys and cars.

Good comparison, I actually read it to him, he understood.

I totaled my first vehicle, an A100 with a 6/auto at 17 years of age. When you're young you do stupid, reckless ****. If you're lucky you live to talk about it. My parents always had big cars like Electra 225s and New Yorkers, so I learned to drive in powerful cars, but I didn't drive their cars recklessly because I would've got my *** kicked if anything had happened. Six weeks after getting the A100 I hit a telephone pole because of driving fast through deep water to make it splash and lost control. Since I was wearing my seatbelt I walked away from it instead of being seriously injured, very lucky that night.

You don't need a lot of power to get in trouble, but it will get you there quicker.

I used to do the same stuff in my dart, I have accidently gone through yards, in ditches, you name it. In the end, it helped to make me a better driver because I learned what NOT to do, but had any of those times been a little different...and it could have been more than just MY life lost.

Ps I agree you can get into trouble with a slant lol . I could never get mine over 90 . lol thats all the little car had in it lol It was singin doing that lol

Your too far ive got a good slanty on a stand ......

Hmm...I did tell my friend I would like to make a road trip to Oklahoma in the spring/early summer to pay him a visit, he is stationed in Ft Stiles (I think, he always sends me craigslist stuff from Lawton, etc). And, Cliff won't give me his adress, so I could just have "someone" give it to me and I could just knock on his door and give him the part.

Yes I will sell it to you ....... As ive had to tell anuther member I dont have cliffs Addy lol . (Aint been there yet) If you want me to save it for you then i will . Ive also got a trans . But I have never seen it work . I know why the car the trans was in was parked (rod) .I can even hook you up with some slanty chrome lol

Yes I will sell it to you ....... As ive had to tell anuther member I dont have cliffs Addy lol . (Aint been there yet) If you want me to save it for you then i will . Ive also got a trans . But I have never seen it work . I know why the car the trans was in was parked (rod) .I can even hook you up with some slanty chrome lol

Sweet! I don't want to say for sure, alot could change by then, but if I can make it out there and you still have it then I will buy it! The trans I could rebuild, or try to (havent done that yet lol) I honestly think he would like a slant, he always wants to be different.

Would you believe I got my 225 up to 110 once? With 2.76 gears? Took about half a mile, and that was flooring it at 45 miles an hour. I don't think it had any more in it, lol.

I did get mine to 100 But that was going down hill lmao . Well its been here for a few years i dont think its going no where sice i gave up on my barracuda i aint going to use it . I just had it for an extra .

Sweet...I hope I can make the trip. Suprise my friend Aaron (been best friends since kindergarten, which was 1984 lol. We even survived the fact that he is a chevy guy, but, his 69 Nova with a 454 and 4.11 gears still is the fastest car I have driven, went 12.1@108, he had a valvetrain problem I think and it would barely hit 54-5500 when he put it in 3rd. He broke valvesprings pretty often too.), I would get to meet and hang out with some cool FABO guys, and get the hell away from ohio for once. I might start putting money back now!

Haha yeah. I've managed to do some crazy stuff with smaller engines than a slant lol dart doctor can attest to that lol

When I was 16 I had been driving for 5 years already.
4x4's, Wheeled tractors, caterpillars, road grader and 3 Mopars.
One day I sneaked off with my Dads Belvedere and was doing 100 down a little mountain backroad up around the Susanville/Janesville area.
I came up on a little rise in the road and there were two huge snow geese standing out in the road, but I couldn't risk trying to avoid them at 100 mph.

Looked like a big pillow fight was going on in the rear view mirror, and when I got home I had to pick all the feathers out of the whole front of the car before my Dad got off work.

Hmm...I did tell my friend I would like to make a road trip to Oklahoma in the spring/early summer to pay him a visit, he is stationed in Ft Stiles (I think, he always sends me craigslist stuff from Lawton, etc). And, Cliff won't give me his adress, so I could just have "someone" give it to me and I could just knock on his door and give him the part.

When you come to Lawton Ok Let me Know and we will meet up and have something to eat or in my case gum my food. LOL

When I was 16 I had been driving for 5 years already. 4x4's, Wheeled tractors, caterpillars, road grader and 3 Mopars. One day I sneaked off with my Dads Belvedere and was doing 100 down a little mountain backroad up around the Susanville/Janesville area. I came up on a little rise in the road and there were two huge snow geese standing out in the road, but I couldn't risk trying to avoid them at 100 mph. Looked like a big pillow fight was going on in the rear view mirror, and when I got home I had to pick all the feathers out of the whole front of the car before my Dad got off work.

Roflmao! I'm still hung up on the high speed pillow fight!

I did get mine to 100 But that was going down hill lmao . Well its been here for a few years i dont think its going no where sice i gave up on my barracuda i aint going to use it . I just had it for an extra .

That was when you was driving a Yugo right? :p

When I was 16 I had been driving for 5 years already.
4x4's, Wheeled tractors, caterpillars, road grader and 3 Mopars.
One day I sneaked off with my Dads Belvedere and was doing 100 down a little mountain backroad up around the Susanville/Janesville area.
I came up on a little rise in the road and there were two huge snow geese standing out in the road, but I couldn't risk trying to avoid them at 100 mph.

Looked like a big pillow fight was going on in the rear view mirror, and when I got home I had to pick all the feathers out of the whole front of the car before my Dad got off work.

That would suck! But, it is hilarious!

When you come to Lawton Ok Let me Know and we will meet up and have something to eat or in my case gum my food. LOL

I will for sure! Man, I am looking forward to it!

Roflmao! I'm still hung up on the high speed pillow fight!

That has to be one of the best phrases ever...High Speed Pillow Fight

That was when you was driving a Yugo right? :p

A friend of mine in High School collected Yugos. He even had a "high performance" model, with odd striping on the side. I don't know what else to say about it.

I would put a 318 in it with a cam. Make it sound good. Then slowly build a strong 360. Its what we did.
001.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input! I talked it over with him, and we may have it figured out. I explained it all to him, and told him nothing is set in stone, but here it is:
--find a bone stock, complete, 318 or 273 2bbl. We will go through it, replace gaskets, bearings, etc. Stock cam, etc. Exhaust manifolds. 904, stock stall. 2.76 gears, maybe even some 2.45 gears if I use the parts from my brothers old 8.25 rear at my dads. Maybe just the whole rear. He will do most of the degreasing, etc, and I will show him how to put it together.
--If I think he is being responsible, I'll let him start upgrading stuff. Intake/carb, headers, cam, port a set of heads, etc.
--Then I will probably sign it over to him when he graduates, possibly with a mild 408 shortblock or something. Unless he loses interest or something, and wants a newer car.

Pretty much the same setup i had in my car when i bought it when i was 17. Now that im 19... it has a whole new setup with a whole lot more power lol

exactly...

some kids can handle it, some cant. you know your son more than we would...

I know, I know. I like hearing others opinions and stories, I keep an open mind and sometimes listening to what others have to say might give me something to think about that I didn't think of before, or even a completely different view.

(this is said in a joking way, I know people can get these to run well, mine was a turd tho!)

Another option may be a big block. I had a 77 Chrysler Newport with a 400, and it was one of the slowest cars I have driven. Possibly THE slowest. It had 85K miles, and was daily driven by a supervisor at a previous job. Had an Edelbrock 600 carb, and an MP electronic ignition installed by him. On the way home, my brother followed me, and he said when I floored it, actual chunks of carbon were hitting his windshield! lol. I never tried to get it to run better, sold it to a friend to be a derby car. He still owes me the carb and ignition....Anyway, to get it to fry any tire, my brother and I had to pull off the road enough toget the passenger tire in the snow/mud, neutral drop it at about 3k rpm, and leave it in first. If we shifted, it would just stop spinning. Had to be in mud/snow, or it wouldn't do anything. PIG. I would feel completely safe with my son driving that! lol

Give him a 360 with a rod knock. That'll keep him from doing stupid ****. Worked for me for 2 years before I finally was able to rebuild it. The fear of blowing it up will keep him sane. Manual steering is a ***** at low speeds but is just fine for driving along. Plus, it gives you great forearm strength. Also, what's the harm in giving him a manual. It'll make the car more fun to drive. My little brother is selling his 1990 525i and it's got a 5 speed in it. I absolutely love driving that car because it's more involving that just sticking it in drive and going like everything else in our driveway. If I had the money, I would buy it from him. I don't care that it's a bimmer, to me it's just an awesome driving car that happens to be a bmw. If you give him a slow car, at least make it a manual so it's a fun slow car. I know, oxymoronic right?

*source a 21 year old who crashed into a light pole in winter 8 months after getting his license at 18. (I started a thread about it here the next day) Then spun his tires in that same parking lot, in the same car, and got a second reckless driving ticket 3 months later. I drove with 1 pt left for a year because I didn't think, that was some of the nicest driving I've ever done. Now I have a little more breathing room and have kept it more calm.

Give him a 360 with a rod knock. That'll keep him from doing stupid ****. Worked for me for 2 years before I finally was able to rebuild it. The fear of blowing it up will keep him sane. Manual steering is a ***** at low speeds but is just fine for driving along. Plus, it gives you great forearm strength. Also, what's the harm in giving him a manual. It'll make the car more fun to drive. My little brother is selling his 1990 525i and it's got a 5 speed in it. I absolutely love driving that car because it's more involving that just sticking it in drive and going like everything else in our driveway. If I had the money, I would buy it from him. I don't care that it's a bimmer, to me it's just an awesome driving car that happens to be a bmw. If you give him a slow car, at least make it a manual so it's a fun slow car. I know, oxymoronic right?

*source a 21 year old who crashed into a light pole in winter 8 months after getting his license at 18. (I started a thread about it here the next day) Then spun his tires in that same parking lot, in the same car, and got a second reckless driving ticket 3 months later. I drove with 1 pt left for a year because I didn't think, that was some of the nicest driving I've ever done. Now I have a little more breathing room and have kept it more calm.

I think he wants a manual shift because he has heard me talk about how much fun it is, and how I feel it makes you more "involved" in driving, keeping your attention on the vehicle and what is going on.

Since he opted to let the car sit to work on the cosmetics, etc, here is my plan. Find a 70's-80's 318 in good running condition. I buy the gaskets, timing set, oil pump, and anything else it might NEED. No performance upgrades, keep it a 2bbl with manifolds. Electronic ignition, good coil, etc. I buy the parts, he does the cleaning, etc. I supervise him while he uses a manual to disassemble/reassemble. Leave it up to him if he wants to research and do anything "special" like oiling mods, gasket matching, etc.
Result: bone stock, but dead-reliable 318 that he can say he built, and he will hopefully appreciate more. As he shows me he can handle it, I let him do bolt-ons, if he wants.
I will find a 3spd manual for him, I have the pedals, and I am leaving the stud reinforcment plate on the subframe. I also have a floorshifter/linkage out of a 71 Duster 3spd.
Rear will be my 3.23 8.25 one-legger out of my Dart Sport.
This way, it will all have been checked out and gone over. I will have less worries, he should have more appreciation. As a plus, he will have a rock solid foundation to build on if he chooses.

-
Back