Warmed-over 360+16 year old=too much?

-
I had a 68 camaro with a tunnel ram and two four barrels when I was 16. Got stopped 26 times in 1 1/2 years. Those were the days!

I had a 68 camaro with a tunnel ram and two four barrels when I was 16. Got stopped 26 times in 1 1/2 years. Those were the days!

Holy crap! I hope you weren't cited every time! I got ticketed 3 times with my slant, after I got my 360 I got pulled over 5-6 times over the years, but never a ticket. Just a warning to "go out of town to clean the tires off" or "well next time, make sure the transmission fluid is full" lol. Yeah, I went sideways at 30mph because my fluid was low and it dropped into first aaaalll by itself lol. Most of the time, the local cops wave when I drive my older cars.

It really comes down to your son. Having built the car with you, there tends to be that appreciation for time and money involved in getting something on the street.

My first car was a very salty 440. I drove it then like I drive it today. You'll always have people wanting to race you etc, avoid the stupid situations and you are golden.

If you feel good about him you should be fine with the 360. You can get into trouble with a mild build, but it isn't like your sticking him in a Viper. It sounds like he values the car and there are some people, at any age, that use that logic to base their decisions around.

Good luck!

I agree. My first car was a 318 3 spd on the floor, no power brakes or steering. I would build a solid 360 for his car and then throttle it back with a two barrel carb. A year or so later, after he's proven he can handle the responsibility, you can swap intakes and carbs. That way you only have to build one engine for it.

It really comes down to your son. Having built the car with you, there tends to be that appreciation for time and money involved in getting something on the street.

My first car was a very salty 440. I drove it then like I drive it today. You'll always have people wanting to race you etc, avoid the stupid situations and you are golden.

If you feel good about him you should be fine with the 360. You can get into trouble with a mild build, but it isn't like your sticking him in a Viper. It sounds like he values the car and there are some people, at any age, that use that logic to base their decisions around.

Good luck!

Thanks! I would love to build him something that just sounds badass, but...I know he would want to test the limits sometimes, or even just play around a little and go sideways on a back road. I know he will do that anyway, regardless of what engine he has lol. I just know that the more power it has, the quicker it can get out of control, and land him in a ditch, into another car, or worse. I guess I am a worrier, and I want to try to lessen some of the chances for something bad.

I even thought of an EFI magnum transplant, and using the computer to limit the timing lol. Or an MSD box that he doesnt know about, behind the glovebox, with a rev limiter set fairly low, or hiding an adjustable timing knob...lol

I agree. My first car was a 318 3 spd on the floor, no power brakes or steering. I would build a solid 360 for his car and then throttle it back with a two barrel carb. A year or so later, after he's proven he can handle the responsibility, you can swap intakes and carbs. That way you only have to build one engine for it.

I have been thinking about that too. I have a 360 block, and a magnum 318 block. Each one just needs bearings/rings, bores were still nice but I took them apart to inspect them.

Heck, I could build a fun 360 with very little cash outlay right now, just some shopping. Changing my stroker setup, so I have a strip dominator, 251/254 solid cam, 750 dp, j heads, just find some good used flattops, port the heads and put some chevy valves in them, dip/deck/hone the block, etc.

Too bad I need the money for the stroker lol.

I think you have the right idea.

Not that long ago I was riding dirt bikes with a friend and we decided to swap bikes. His has a lot more power. I'm a conservative rider, never hurt myself with my bike. Within 15 minutes on his bike I had 2 broken fingers and only my helmet saved my noggin from serious damage.

I think you will need to mix in a helping of newer iron also. Many times I hear that a young gun isn't used to how an older car handles compared to a newer car, so IMO both need to be practiced. Driving is a life lesson that can't be learned in just a couple short years, but practiced for many!! Give him the skills to enjoy driving whatever he is given, and he will be able to do just that!!

I personally will be giving my GTX to Ian when he is ready, and my old Martin guitar too!!

My seventeen year old daughter drives my Dart. Not everyday granted, but when the weather is nice. It's no power steering or brakes also. She respects the car and knows what it is capable of doing if you push the loud pedal too hard.

-
Back