Was the '64 Dart 170 ever made in convertible body

-

rdb

Reaction score
This is critical question to a wicked VIN problem I am having w/ my recent purchase.

Have 10K in a car I can't drive!!!

Also, is the VIN anywhere else on the car besides the plate in the driver's side door well?

That plate under the hood-- inner fender -- looks like other stuff but not VIN

Thanks

RB

Guess I answered one of questions -- no convert 170s

A- bodies, at some point, had VIN stamping on the radiator support and under the trunk seal, but I don't know what year that they started doing that.
My guess is that at some point the car didn't have a title, so someone made it assume the identity of a parts Dart that did have one. If you have no way of finding out the VIN on this car you really have no choice but to go by what's stamped on the VIN tag. Absent any evidence to the contrary, that IS the VIN number despite the apparent trim level discrepancy, and you shouldn't have any problems registering it in MD. This car came out before the modern VIN system; the VIN doesn't tell much (not even body type! Just year, engine type, trim level, assembly plant, and serial number) , and it's simply glued on. After 50+ years, this car is what it is. There were also lots of special orders in those days. My V100 V8 '64 Valiant's build sheet shows its bare-bones bona fides, even has a radio delete plate... but has uptrim cloth seats! Your car could be a one-off.

Also, is the VIN anywhere else on the car besides the plate in the driver's side door well?

To my knowledge the tag on the driver's door post is the only location for the VIN. I think maybe around 68 or so it was used in other places - core support, trunk lip, etc.

That plate under the hood-- inner fender -- looks like other stuff but not VIN

Thanks

RB

That plate is the data plate - a condensed version of the actual build sheet of the car. It will have the SO Number (Special Order Number) which should match the number on the core support. It has NO relation to the VIN number.

-
Back