Wasted time trying to make center console!!!

-

Back in Time

Reaction score
Just wasted a week and $ 50.00 worth of material trying to make a custom center console for my 64 Dart. Advise...1/4 inch plywood and liquid nails just doesn't cut it. No matter what you do it gets out of square and wobbley.Kept trying to brace it after I covered it with vinyl. It will function for now so I can move on but eventually must be redone. Cheap ends up costing more in the long run.Well that's off my chest...Feel better now.:soapbox::soapbox:

Pics or it doesn't exist

Feast your eyes on a piece of crap

100_0538.JPG

I gotta say that looks pretty damn good! Ive used "No more Nails" for trimwork in the house before and was pretty good.
There has to be a way to sturdy it up.
Whats the bracing like underneath? Pics?

Flip it over and post pics. Bet you can add some bracing to strengthen it. I am going to build my own very soon for a double din Android headunit. I will be using Masonite for the sides/top with a wood frame. I have boxed a couple trunks with that material and it works great!

Believe it or not that spray in expanding foam works great for stabilizing things like that.

Forget the liquid nails and use A quality wood glue and clamps. Titebond is great and after about 20 minutes being clamped you can handle the project if careful. 3/4 " quarter round trim on the inside 90' corners using glue and small brads will keep the shape after the glue sets.
Yote

Just wasted a week and $ 50.00 worth of material trying to make a custom center console for my 64 Dart. Advise...1/4 inch plywood and liquid nails just doesn't cut it. No matter what you do it gets out of square and wobbley.Kept trying to brace it after I covered it with vinyl. It will function for now so I can move on but eventually must be redone. Cheap ends up costing more in the long run.Well that's off my chest...Feel better now.:soapbox::soapbox:
I made one for my 72 Duster. I used that hard board. I think they call it Mica? Brown and has one smooth side. I only used two pieces. Top piece to go around my B_M shifter and the side piece next to the passenger's legs. I used wood corner molding/liquid nails and Brad nailed. It is held in place by one screw on top using one of the B-M shifter screws. Because the console runs up against the seat I didn't have to cover that end. The other end you can't see unless you get under the dash and the drivers side only shows the B-M shifter console side. I got a piece of scrap of Vinyl and foam from an upholstery shop for nothing. (scrap). Vinyl was stapled on and foam was glued on. Don't give up.... you can do it!
Trunk 004.JPG
trunk3 001.JPG
trunk3 004.JPG

Build it out of plywood and use Tightbond lll glue and clamp it until dry. I built picture frames out of it and they don't flex at all and it's waterproof. Trust me.

Wasted time? I don't think so. Are you a wood worker by profession? How often do you work with wood?

I say attempt this again and show cases it here with helpful advice on how to construct it from people who know.

I did a sub woofer box. I tried very very hard to make it square. And it is NOT a square BUT it does function and the causal eye never see's the wacky oh not square box for a POS. A little carpet and it looks great.

Feast your eyes on a piece of crap

View attachment 1715007664
no poop - that's got a good look - like everyone else is saying, that looks very salvageable - I would reinforce the corners and edges with 1/2" x 1/2" pieces glued in - let 'em dry good then do what Greg was saying with the foam - WOOD BLOCK method pictured below
p_SBI_063_03.jpg

no poop - that's got a good look - like everyone else is saying, that looks very salvageable - I would reinforce the corners and edges with 1/2" x 1/2" pieces glued in - let 'em dry good then do what Greg was saying with the foam - WOOD BLOCK method pictured below
View attachment 1715016723
That's similar to what I did and it worked well..Now installed in car.

I'm liking ScampMike's post! Thumbs up Mike!

Last edited:
-
Back