Water pump ?

-
Reaction score
i have a 74 dart swinger with a 318... i am removing my heater system and the port on the water pump that goes to one of the heater hoses..i need that to be blocked off somehow..i was hoping it would be threaded and i would just simply cap it off with a fitting however it isnt threaded..do they sell an after market water pump with just the bypass hose fitting and no heater hose port? or what im a little lost just need a water pump with out this port as i am running no heater, thanks

i have a 74 dart swinger with a 318... i am removing my heater system and the port on the water pump that goes to one of the heater hoses..i need that to be blocked off somehow..i was hoping it would be threaded and i would just simply cap it off with a fitting however it isnt threaded..do they sell an after market water pump with just the bypass hose fitting and no heater hose port? or what im a little lost just need a water pump with out this port as i am running no heater, thanks

A. Run a bypass hose to the fitting on the intake

B. Get really ballsy and chop the fitting off the water pump and tap it for a plug or a fitting that can take a cap.

C. get a plug welded in to where you chopped the fitting off.

Maybe someone else will chime in and correct me or say what they did.

Just a rubber cap with a hose clamp....done. They sell a pack of diff size black rubber caps at your fav local parts store. Never did care for the looped hose from the water pump to the intake. Looks cluttered and not sure why you would do it anyway. Anyone say if this serves a functional purpose for coolant flow at all?

Yep rubber cap and clamp is the simplest solution. To remove the nipple and install a threaded pipe plug is doable and might look a little better but... If/when you need to replace the pump you be doing this work again. Modified cores you exchange would be odd ball too.

Yep rubber cap and clamp is the simplest solution. To remove the nipple and install a threaded pipe plug is doable and might look a little better but... If/when you need to replace the pump you be doing this work again. Modified cores you exchange would be odd ball too.
be pretty funny if that core manages to circulate back around and someone posts about it on here :toothy10:

didn't think of a nipple.

i think ill get a new one...get ballsy and chop it off...run a 3/4 inch tap down and cap it...with a generous amount of thread sealer it should do...ill keep ya posted lol..thanks for the help fellas

i think ill get a new one...get ballsy and chop it off...run a 3/4 inch tap down and cap it...with a generous amount of thread sealer it should do...ill keep ya posted lol..thanks for the help fellas

Make sure that you use a NPT tap (National Pipe Thread) if you do tap it so that you can use a pipe plug.

Herb

I always run by-pass hoses. Water systems with dead ends always seem to cause trouble.

[quote="Dart67";1970084074]Make sure that you use a NPT tap (National Pipe Thread) if you do tap it so that you can use a pipe plug.

Herb[/quote]
This. You will want something that is made to hold pressure.

I always run by-pass hoses. Water systems with dead ends always seem to cause trouble.

I have run my 273 since 1980 with allen headed pipe plugs in the waterpump heater hose hole and intake manifold holes.

In 33 years never had a problem or a leak.

Herb

[quote="Dart67";1970084452]I have run my 273 since 1980 with allen headed pipe plugs in the waterpump heater hose hole and intake manifold holes.

In 33 years never had a problem or a leak.

Herb[/quote]

Those aren't dead ends. Caps on the ends of tubes are. However, plugs are tapered so if you crank them in good some thing can give. The OP now has the knowledge that it can be done, the question is can he do it without cracking the manifold or the pump housing. I'm not even sure why someone in Indiana would not want the heater. As prone to overheating as these cars can be, you would think a person would want as much cooling capacity as possible.

i wont be driving this in the winter......mainly from late april to mid october thats all....its a car show , cruiser, sometimes race......i dont need one...added auxillary electric fan , besides the flex fan it has....it stays cool so far........

-
Back