waterpump pulley help

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many different waterpump pulleys are used on 440s? I have a 440 out of a 1976 New Yorker, and do not have the original waterpump pulley. The Harmonic balancer is unlike most I have seen it is very thick and tapers slightly the pulley thatis on it has 4 grooves (I only need 1 groove). For the waterpump I only need one groove but I need to find out if there were a lot different sizes used, and what diameter and the depth I should be looking for. Also if anyone knows what other year motors might have a suitable replacement, as always Any help is appreciated.

Would it be worth your while to have the extra grooves machined off? As there are many pulleys and checking on ebay or any mopar web site can get you a pulley cheap or at a scrap yard.I would install the pulley and see if it is possible to remove 1 groove and the belt still lined up! Pulleys are sold from mancinnis,and other dealers,Mrmopartech

Don't take this as gospel, but.....I think that there was 2 sizes of water pump pulleys. 1 for AC cars and 1 without AC. The AC pulleys were all two grooved I believe. All of the mopar pulleys are now being reporduced. Bouchillon Performance(i think in NC) sells them and so does Mancini's. I just bought a new one for my duster. The old one wobbled. So did another used one that I had. The moral of this story is get a new one. My bad ones looked just fine to the naked eye, and new ones aren't that expensive. My two cents worth.

don

I know after 1972 they changed the crank to cast Iron, and the dampner is different. Does anyone know if the pulleys from pre 72 440s will work on a post 72 and line up right?

-
Back