Watkins Glen: Snobs vs the Slobs

-

CUDA69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So my son talked me into signing up to run laps at Watkins Glen in May. I checked the roster of cars and they are all Porches, BMWs, Z06's, and Vipers. We are showing up with a 69 Cuda and a 2008 Caliber SRT4. It sounds like a good group but we will be representing the working class. Since this is officially a drivers instruction event and not a competition it should be a lot of fun. Any advice from the road racers out there?

Yeah but who will have the bigger smile on there faces
i betting your son and you have a great day

I've done this many times in my Dart. Usually a great group. Remember, most of those people either have something old somewhere or used to.

Watkins Glen is one of my favorite tracks. My family campaigned super bikes there. Watkins Glen State Park is great too.

The Glenn is a great track, been there many times, live about 40 miles away.

Make sure your brakes and engine mounts on the Cuda are in the best shape possible. It's a bunch of fun, but you'll be putting stress on the whole car, not just the engine...lol.

Great track,...Tough track,....watched a budy totally wreck his red, white , and blue Rambler up there,...twice,....used to do Nascar up there back in the day,...then the (overzealous) cops came,...

Why is someone a snob because they own a expensive sports car? I've been around road racing all my life and 99% of the people I have met rich or poor have been fantastic people who live for racing.

Friend of mine goes the WG with his GTR and has a lot of fun. From what I've seen, it's about the cars not the money. Go and have fun and I'll bet the Cuda draws a crowd.

I've often threatened my buddy that I'll leave his Nissan in the dust with my 'slanted tower of power'.....lol.

Why is someone a snob because they own a expensive sports car? I've been around road racing all my life and 99% of the people I have met rich or poor have been fantastic people who live for racing.

I don't know about 99%, but when I asked the driver of a BMW M5 why he blocked me and wouldn't let me pass when I was obviously faster, I was told it was "because I couldn't allow myself to be passed by a Dodge." He even sneered when he said "Dodge." I'd say that's pretty much the definition of snob. In my experience the snob ratio of expensive car owners at the track is closer to 50%.

The snob vs slobs is just a joke, more of poke at us than anybody else.

OK, I finally got the car on the road this weekend after the latest winter upgrade. Brakes are good, upgraded wheels and tires to 17 inch with Nitto tires, Bilstein shocks, Schumacker torque strut, Eaton Tru Track and warmed up the motor a little. We tuned the carb yesterday. She pulls hard to 6000 and handles great. We have three cameras to hook up, so we should get some good videos.

I don't know about 99%, but when I asked the driver of a BMW M5 why he blocked me and wouldn't let me pass when I was obviously faster, I was told it was "because I couldn't allow myself to be passed by a Dodge." He even sneered when he said "Dodge." I'd say that's pretty much the definition of snob. In my experience the snob ratio of expensive car owners at the track is closer to 50%.

At road courses I'd agree 100%. But that doesn't make them bad people. I have that same problem wtih Smart Cars when I'm in my Neon going down the highway...lol.

-
Back