Wax over Stripes or not ??

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
I just finished the matte black stripes on my 72 Demon 340. Now as I get ready to wax for the first time I was wondering if I have to tape off the stripes or wax over them.

Thanks
Tom

Absolutely not. If you wax over matte black, the wax will pretty much ruin the stripes. It gets embedded in the material and will not come off

I wouldn't think you would have to tape it off. Yea I wouldn't put wax on it, it will give it a slight glossy look.

Depends on the wax. You can apply Turtle Wax "Ice" over anything. It actually makes flat black plastic & rubber even "blacker".

I do a ton of auto detailing so maybe I can be of a little help here.

Are these vinyl stripes? If so then do not wax over them. Wax is meant for paint and it can leave a white residue on plastic and vinyl depending on what wax is used. The other concern is getting wax in the edges of the stripe itself which might cause the edge to lift when the wax dries. Taping the stripes off isn't necessary if you're confident that you won't get any on the stripes. If you want to protect the stripes then i'd use a vinyl dressing of some kind. Just make sure it's not shiny if you want to keep the matte look. I have used Meguiar's interior dressing on my '14 Camaro's matte black stripes with good results.

Also, since we're on the topic of wax, what wax will you be using? I have had VERY good luck with Collinite 845. It's cheap at $20 a bottle, lasts for ages, is very easy to use (when applied correctly), and the look it gives off is very nice as well. A bottle will do 30+ cars so if you're just doing one car and wax it every 4 months then a bottle will last you over a decade. Best liquid wax money can buy IMO. As far as paste waxes go I really like AMMO Creme but it's pricey at $70 per tub. When you apply it you can definitely feel and see where the extra money went! I probably have 10 different waxes right now and these two are what I use 95% of the time.

Depends on the wax. You can apply Turtle Wax "Ice" over anything. It actually makes flat black plastic & rubber even "blacker".

Ehhhh, Ice is alright but there are much much better options out there. I have used it on my matte black stripes before and it made them shiny. Meguiar's Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax (D156 for short) is a better product and costs WAY less. It also streaks much less than Ice. Turtle Wax products in general are just not very good. I hang out on detailing forums and the first thing we tell people is to ditch the Armor All and Turtle Wax and get some decent products to start with.

Spray waxes also provide no long term protection and they're better suited for wiping off dust and bird poop than to actually be used as a wax. Washing your car or driving in the rain can wash a spray wax right off.

Phoenix Graphix does not recommend waxing stripes or taking you car through a car wash that sprays waxes during the rinse. Good cast vinyl should last a long time if it is quality vinyl and if you are concerned about protecting your investment further we do offer a protectant that we personally use on our vehicles. http://phoenixgraphix.com/detail.php

Thanks for all the info so far, I should have stated the stripes are vinyl, matte black, and I was thinking of trying the new barrett Jackson wax. Now I'm thinking of the Collinite 845 that Blue Dream Recommended.

Ehhhh, Ice is alright but there are much much better options out there. I have used it on my matte black stripes before and it made them shiny. Meguiar's Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax (D156 for short) is a better product and costs WAY less. It also streaks much less than Ice. Turtle Wax products in general are just not very good. I hang out on detailing forums and the first thing we tell people is to ditch the Armor All and Turtle Wax and get some decent products to start with.

Turtle Wax Ice is all I've been using on my '69 GTS (Which has black vinyl stripes) and all my new cars for at least 5 years. I've tried almost everything else over the last 50 years and Ice is all I'll ever use now. It lasts almost forever. I've been using the Ice paste on the sheetmetal, and the Ice liquid on the small detail parts. I do my cars by hand. It does need to dry a while, and you'll have to buff it twice with clean microfiber towels each time. Maybe it's no good for use with machines, and that's why "pros" don't like it? Or maybe it's no good on enamel, or on single-stage paints? I don't know, because everything I've ever used Ice on was clearcoated. Also, there is no white residue, and it did not ruin my black stripes, black trim, black bumper guard rubber, or black rubber seals.

Turtle Wax Ice is all I've been using on my '69 GTS (Which has black vinyl stripes) and all my new cars for at least 5 years. I've tried almost everything else over the last 50 years and Ice is all I'll ever use now. It lasts almost forever. I've been using the Ice paste on the sheetmetal, and the Ice liquid on the small detail parts. I do my cars by hand. It does need to dry a while, and you'll have to buff it twice with clean microfiber towels each time. Maybe it's no good for use with machines, and that's why "pros" don't like it? Or maybe it's no good on enamel, or on single-stage paints? I don't know, because everything I've ever used Ice on was clearcoated. Also, there is no white residue, and it did not ruin my black stripes, black trim, black bumper guard rubber, or black rubber seals.

I think we have a misunderstanding; I was only comparing spray wax to spray wax. I didn't know you were using the paste and liquid waxes. Those definitely would offer more protection and durability. Comparing those to a spray wax wouldn't be a fair comparison, they blow the spray wax out of the water. As for the trim staining, I'd agree with you here. I've had old style turtle wax leave stains on my trim but no problems with Ice. My favorite part is the smell though, the stuff smells wicked good.

Been waxing the stripes on my '70 duster for 7 years now..they still look great,so much for the wax being bad for them..

Sounds like BlueDream and I are on the same team for detailing. I like Collinite 845 as well as their 855 for leather and Vinyl and 915 past wax. I also like the look of Chemical Guys Jet Seal after I tried it on my Black Harley. Also as Blue recommend buy some Meguiar's Pro stuff in bulk and spray away. I use their quick detailer and x-press spray wax between polishes and waxes to keep up the protection.

That is why you can wax them with no issues. If you ever look closely at matte black vinyl, it is not a smooth surface - it is actually fairly porous. As a result, wax gets "stuck" in the valleys of the material and can lead to streaking especially with paste waxes that dry and leave behind a white residue. The micro-polymer waxes do not do this but they can still streak on matte material although a lot less than paste waxes. Gloss Vinyl is usually very smooth and nowhere near as porous.

That is why you can wax them with no issues. If you ever look closely at matte black vinyl, it is not a smooth surface - it is actually fairly porous. As a result, wax gets "stuck" in the valleys of the material and can lead to streaking especially with paste waxes that dry and leave behind a white residue. The micro-polymer waxes do not do this but they can still streak on matte material although a lot less than paste waxes. Gloss Vinyl is usually very smooth and nowhere near as porous.

Good tip to know:D

-
Back