waxing over graphics

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
Hey I have a 72 Demon with the full Phoenix graphics package in matte black. When waxing should it be avoided or just wax right over it. Made the mistake of waxing over flat black in my youth and it was a bugger to get off.

This is what I've been using on my Bee, no problems

Phoenix Graphix: Car Auto Decals Graphics, Factory Restoration Stickers

Product: SLIDE-OVER® UV Protectant
Size: 8 FL. OZ.

Description: Phoenix Graphix recognizes the importance of maintaining vinyl stripes and graphics. Help protect your decal from harsh elements and natural aging by applying our revolutionary Slide-Over UV Protectant & Conditioner. Slide-Over is not oily or greasy and does not attract dust. More importantly, unlike petroleum distilates, it does not draw moisture from the vinyl.

Benefits Include:
* Protects from the sun's harmful UV rays
* Restores faded colors and luster
* Helps repel dust, dirt and oils
* Graphics clean-up more easily
* Easy spray-on application

Chemical Guys makes a cleaner i n a spray bottle. So I guess others do as well.
Avoid getting wax on them. I also have Phoenix stripes and hood blackout.
Edit this is what I use and also on T/A hood
Meticulous Matte

Last edited:
Been waxing over mine for years still looks great..

20150920_164441.jpg

I wax over the side stripe decals. Don’t know if it the right thing to do, but doesn’t seem to do any harm.

I use Turtle Wax ICE liquid ceramic coating. It lasts longer than wax. Way, way less work applying and 3x way less work hand buffing it. It can go over rubber, decals, anything no problem. It used to only be like $7 at wally world.
I think it's been replaced by their "Hybrid" ceramic wax, but they doubled the price. Fortunately, I bought a bunch of the $7 stuff before it disappeared because I was so impressed with it.
True story: when I was waiting to take delivery of my 70 AAR, I saw a pink T/A parked in front of a business. I stopped to check it out, and the owner came out to check me out, I guess. Anyway, he had tried paste waxing the black Organisol painted fiberglass hood. He was asking me if I had any idea how to remove the now chalky-looking wax swirls all over the hood. I had no idea.

Thanks for the responses. It seems like a lot of work to polish to decals and not get any on them and then coat them with something different.

-
Back