Weighed my car today

-
My '74 Duster is 3040 lbs. No seats but driver. No wiper, heater, gas tank. Aluminum fuel cell. 451 with aluminum Brodex heads. 727. 8 3/4 Mosier geared/axled rear with spool. All steel tilt front clip.

View attachment DusterClip (2).JPG

That's not bad at all given all the modifications! You added some weight for sure in some places but definitely lost it in some others. But not bad at all considering you haven't gone too far out of your way to make it lighter.

I would suspect that scale has to be certified and is checked/inspected on a regular interval. It might not be accurate to a couple pounds and it won't give you corner weights, but I would bet the overall weight of the car is pretty darn close to that.

Corner weights can be had with a truck scale if the scale master is open to such things. If the approaches to the scale are flat and reasonably close to the level of the scale itself with enough room to get the car on it in a diagonal fashion 1 tire at a time.
One drawback being most truck scales are in 10 lbs. grads.

My Duster with all options it came with. Spare in trunk and original trunk mat. Factory floor mount cassette. resto 340 block very heavy compared to factory block. Aluminum top end. The car weighed 3850 with a 200 lb driver. Weighed on digital scales we have for our sprint car. They were dead on. The scrap yard scale was 200 lbs. lite . The track scale at the track was dead on. The car had a mild steel cage. Factory fuel tank and spare. full exhaust tail pipes and tips.

We have been weighing differences in parts applied to the new car on a monolog scale for a rough idea . such as Fiber Glass parts to steel. The new car will have chrome moly 25.3 cage, Glass dash fake gauges and radio. All glass parts and one piece nose. Any part that can be made from aluminum will be made . We are cutting all the sheet metal not needed out of the car as the build goes on.. Light weight suspension and brakes. Hoping to keep it under 2000. It went 10s' weighing 3850. around 800 @the crank 650 to the wheels SB 416. the new motor will be around 1000 on motor @ the crank Methanol injected. Small tire 315 radial and 275 radial street car. New headers will exit the front . We're also contemplating a Glide to replace the 727

98.JPG

99.JPG

spoiler pics 800.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

60.JPG

I’ve always wondered what my car weighs because it’s so far from being stock.
These are the things that contribute most to the weight differences I’ve made.

Iron 440 with iron heads
Headers
Mini starter
Aluminum intake and water pump housing
Aluminum radiator
QuickTime scatter shield bell housing
Full QA1 front end (PST 1.03 torsion bars)
T56 Magnum transmission
8 3/4 rear with homemade 4-link
18x9.5 wheels, 285/35 tires, 50# each
No A/C or heat
Manual steering/brakes
Still has back seat and a stereo
35# spare tire
Full size battery
All steel body
Subframe connectors.

I had a bunch of trashed transmission parts from my RamCharger that I was planning on taking to the recycling center, so I took them in my Duster.
After subtracting my weight, and the weight of my toolbox, the car weighs 3230lbs with half a tank of gas. I’m not sure how accurate their scale is, but I’ve heard that it’s almost dead on.

Down the road I’m planning on getting an all aluminum big block, fiber glass front bumper and hood, and some lighter wheels, so it will eventually be well under 3000!

Just curious on these items they are pretty heavy:
Sway bars? with size
Torsion bar size
Brake type/size/model front and rear
Stock or aftermarket bucket seats

71-70 dusters can be pretty light. They don’t have much trim, plastic grilles, no roll down window mechanisms, no tail light trim, no valence panels

I can’t imagine how much weight I added to my car, sub frame connectors, fender braces, bigger torsion bars, C- body tie rod ends, LCA stiffening plates, adjustable strut rods, sway bars, sound deadener, overdrive transmission, And battery in trunk with its associated cables.
Oh, and let’s not forget the mythically lighter than manifolds headers. Those TTI’s are heavy.
Though I did go with an aluminum radiator. But you can’t convince me that’s any lighter than the stock one either.
I bet this thing weighs almost as much as my Grand Cherokee hence the need to put a stroker in it.

Just curious on these items they are pretty heavy:
Sway bars? with size
Torsion bar size
Brake type/size/model front and rear
Stock or aftermarket bucket seats

71-70 dusters can be pretty light. They don’t have much trim, plastic grilles, no roll down window mechanisms, no tail light trim, no valence panels
Only a front sway bar, It’s a QA1 1 1/4”, PST 1.03 torsion bars, 73+ front discs, terrible Right Stuff rear discs (11” rotors), and Procar bucket seats. The seats are pretty light.

Only a front sway bar, It’s a QA1 1 1/4”, PST 1.03 torsion bars, 73+ front discs, terrible Right Stuff rear discs (11” rotors), and Procar bucket seats. The seats are pretty light.

my barracuda notchback is 3209 without spare tire

small block with aluminum heads
Power steering - heavier than manual
Stock heavy console
727 Trans - don’t know how this compares to T56
Rear Hotchkis leaf springs
15x9 old aluminum cast rims - might be lighter with tires?
Rear sway bar -tubular

about everything else is the same. Even the 11.75 front brakes, Procar seats, subframe connectors, aluminum radiator

CudaScale1_17_15Sm09.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="autoxcuda, post: 1973486669, member: 4432
“15x9 old aluminum cast rims - might be lighter with tires?”

View attachment 1715747227[/QUOTE]
Nah, they’re usually heavier with the tires

[QUOTE="autoxcuda, post: 1973486669, member: 4432
“15x9 old aluminum cast rims - might be lighter with tires?”

View attachment 1715747227
Nah, they’re usually heavier with the tires[/QUOTE]

I’m compering my complete 245/50/15 in 15x9 Optima Minilite cast package to his 18x9.5 tire to rim package.

just guessing. Need to weigh.

Stock heavy console
Rear sway bar -tubular

about everything else is the same. Even the 11.75 front brakes, Procar seats, subframe connectors, aluminum radiator

Do you still have stock seat belts? Or some kind of harnesses with harness bar? My Procar buckets are comfortable, but don’t hold me in around corners very well.
This is the seat I have.
9B336342-CCF1-42F6-A38F-887A8EE659CA.jpeg

15 yrs ago I weighed My '67 Valiant when it was still 340/4spd- weighed 3192 lbs with me in it. So 3000 lbs roughly.
Full interior with the exception of recaro buckets in front. Still heavy.

Stock heavy console
Rear sway bar -tubular

57 1/4 % on the front, with an aluminum head smallblock?!? Wow!

57 1/4 % on the front, with an aluminum head smallblock?!? Wow!

It’s a percentage

you could look at that as being heavy in the front. Or light in the rear.

that was no factory full size spare, factory Jack asst, no trunk mat, no tire cover. And most of all no driver.

this might be contribute to my car not being ultra low in the rear with hotchkis springs. But Peter Bergman’s 71 Dart being too low.

I’m sure a 68 Barracuda with fold down seat, rear glass, and interior structure weighs more in the rear. I will be getting a comparison in the next 6 month between a 68 Dart and 68 Barracuda on digital scales. But both don’t have rear seats and one is auto and one is 4spd

-
Back