Weird Engine In A-Body

-
ok ive got two 1 even lived where i work for a while
one of the techs had a 1978 dodge d-150 it had a 1970 continental radiator a 1972 chevy 454 a 1982 ford AOD 1975 jeep dana 300 transfer case and toyota axles front and rear but the coolest thing was the 2004 GMC denali interior including the dash it all even worked, funny thing was is he was a f ing god the thing looked factory until you started looking real hard at it.......

the other one was a 1973 240z.... drumroll please........ with a 426 hemi and a powerglide he still runs at the local track usually around the low 10s it is a blast to watch has old school tractor headers out the hood spits some sick fire

had a guy...back in the day....that had a chevy 283 in a 70 cuda...never understood his logic...that was in the 70's and mopar motors were plentiful...and cheap...go figure?

what do you guys think about stuffing a 84 NISSAN 3.0L V6....switched to a carb, with an eaton m90 blower atop? Did some research and the 3.0 V6 pistons and rods will handle 600hp, and the block and crank can handle 1000.

check out this pic of the main caps
VG30bottomend.jpg

If you're not going for high horsepower, might be interesting to try a RX-8 rotary engine. Should have plenty of room even in an early a body. East meets west type of thing.

I think I'd rather crush my Duster than put a non Mopar motor in it because a Mopar only deserves a Mopar engine.

I'd put a Mopar engine in a GM quick though. They been messing up our Mopars with small block Chevy engines for how many years??

I thought about a 2002 Nissan skyline gtr nur engine (better then standard) in my duster (including it's twin turbos) until I found my 340 block. Been 340 since and I'm not looking back

I saw a duster on Pinks with a 350 in it (needless to say it lost in the first round) . I have accually wondered about putting a 3.5L out of an intrepid into an Abody .

Haven't ever seen any weird Mopar engine s other than a diesel in a Dart once. Have seen an old Italian machinist used to drive a nice 66 GTO with a Mercedes diesel under the hood.
A 280 Z with a 440 on CL here in Portland a year or so ago, A customer's 2wd toyota pu with a 327 4bbl that I tuned up . and another car on CL here was a 85 ranger 2wd with a 70 Torino 302- I almost bought it for $1500- was blue with 69 Boss 302 black stripes, a ford scoop and slotted mags would have been a cool shop truck.

Now that you bring diesels up, the same guy I that owns that cuda I took a picture of has a 74 duster with a diesel motor in it. Funny because the motor bolt right up to a BB 727

I think it was a barracuda with a Mazda motor/tranny that was on CL Seattle a few times. There is an older post on here somewhere with a few weird ones.

24y697l.jpg

Yup. Horrid horror of a horrible *****. About a 67-68 Barracuda, someone had chopped up the front end and ....uh... melded .. a front wheel drive unit in there

Years ago used to be a guy that showed up at Island Dragway with a Challenger with a Ford 460 in it....

Not an a-body but cool none the less. I am currently installed an aluminum hood, dash and console it it to help shed some weight.

Here it is with the blower and injector on alcohol

IMG_2364.jpg

Here it is with dual carbs on the blower on racing fuel.

IMG_0681.jpg

On the other hand, there's the waste of a perfectly good Mopar engine......

33010011414_large.jpg

The most outrageous one I saw though was a Hi-po 283 Chev in an MG, the whole carb stuck through a hole the guy cut in the hood.

Not sure if it qualifies as "weird", as the factory built 'em, but an all aluminum slant 6 was built in very small numbers in the early 60s Darts. When you think about it, all-alum. motors were weird for the time, kind of "experimental", had great potential and being just an aluminum version of a proven design, parts were pretty easy to come by.

Just out of curiosity, what is the weirdest engine you guys have seen in an A-Body

Perkins diesel in a Canadian-built right-hand-drive '61 Valiant (with '60 grill and hood release):

RHD_Diesel_61V_1.jpg

RHD_Diesel_61V_2.jpg

A 2.0L Perkins diesel was available as basic equipment in the Barreiros-built Dodge Darts of Spain from '65 to '69 or so; talk about zero to some approximation of speed in an hour and a half! :shock:

I used to have a 48 Willys p/u with all the running gear out of a 69 1/2 440 sixpack 727 Roadrunner that a friend of mine totaled after only 3,000 mi from new. Swapped the 383 that came in my 67 GTS for the 440 because the Jeep was too hard to handle with the straight axle. Then got married and wife thought we needed a tv worse than we needed that Jeep so there went my original engine that I had swapped into it and sold it for $500. Big mistake!!!

Friends neighbor had a Ford Courier with a LPG 440 in it and the propane tank in the bed. Another friend has a 53 Stude truck with a Ford 400M motor/AOD trans and a Diplomat front end. Thing is cool. Guy has a Datsun 1600 roadster with a filthy 2.0 diesel in it. When the insurance totaled out my wifes LS400, I was seriously thinking 'bout motor/controller and trans for my '65. 32V quad cam 300HP and you can balance a nickle on the revving intake. Motor is pretty wide though.

-
Back