Welder good deal or not

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I have a chance on picking up this Hobart Welder for $200. I just wanted to know if this will be a good welder, and will it be big enough for my restoration job on my car?

Attachments

• !cid_19050FBB-6AF8-43B4-8ED7-EB9A92276715.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 660
If it has the gas kit with it, then I would say good buy.

It is a suitable size to do body work with. It does need the gas kit though.
C

I have the 210 handler and i dont think I have used it past the #4 setting (1-10) looking back I think something like that would be plenty for a house garage. I say buy it, and get the gas kit for it, you will be surprised at how easy it is to use.

They are a good welder manufactured by Miller as an entry level product without the cheap Chinese stuff. You will be happy with it for doing body work. As said for doing panels you will want to run gas with it.

I agree about the gas kit, I had a new Hobart 180 220 volt but was hard for me to weld floor pans as it was too hot. I borrowed my friends 115 volt Lincoln which I liked better. I traded my 220 volt even for a smaller Lincoln 115 volt. If I needed to weld anything thick anyway I prefer to stick weld with my portable. The cords are so short you need to be close so the 115 volt is lots more accessable than 220 volt. You will like it but gas kit makes prettier welds with less splatter,Joe

I believe you have to buy the mig conversion kit. It doesn't come with any of that stuff.

If the mig kit is not too much, get it. Welding is fun!

There is another model one step up from that one called the Handler 140. You might want to look into that and see if the price difference is worth it. The 140 has gotten good reviews in various consumer reports. It would already be set up for shielding gas too.

Thats what i'm useing Hobart Handler 140 with gas welds nice, great starter unit perfect for sheetmetal [i tried flux mig it sucked] and i'm a newbee welder!!!

The 140 is an great welder.
I picked mine up from nothern tool on sale for $475, it also included a cart for this price.

Thanks for the input. I will look at all this welder again I know it does not have the mig setup so that will be an additional expense.
Thanks again

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area, they are dealers for hobart welders.

Ok well I passed on this welder and wanted to know if anyone has heard of ATD brand welders?

Sounds like that's a flux core only machine. (Says optional conversion kit avail). Flux core has its purposes around the farm, but not suitable for bodywork or more precision work.

The Thermal Arc 3in1 welder line are the best thing since sliced bread. If you ever want to learn how to TIG weld mild steel or stainless, you only have to buy the TIG torch kit.

I don't trust that ATD welder...I suspect its a rebranded offshore, not that offshore is always bad.

Thanks.
I have never heard of ATD that is why I asked. I did not pick up the other welder because when I went to look at it, it was used and abused and only had the flux core setup.

Save your money up for a miller, lincoln or holbart that already is set up to run gas.
You will be much happier in the long run.
Plus 20 years from now you can still buy parts.

I went to Tractor Supply tonight and put this Hobart in layaway tonight comes with the gas kit and everything. Good price too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hobart-handler-reg-140-mig-welder-3812040

$479.99
$449.99

In stores only

Product Reviews
Overall Customer Rating:
rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

42 out of 43(98%)reviewers would recommend this product to a friend.
Read all 43 reviews
Write a review

Follow this product

Product Description
SKU Number: 3812040

Manufacturers Number: 500500
Brand: Hobart
Process Type: MIG, Flux Core
Welding Amperage Range: 25-140 A
Input Voltage: 115 V
Weld Thickness: 24 ga. - 1/4 inch - Single Pass
Duty Cycle: 20% @ 90 A
Product Length: 19-1/2 in.
Product Weight: 57 lb.
Warranty: Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Product Width: 10-5/8 in.
Product Height: 12-3/8 in.

• Description
  • Reviews

View Demo

View Demo Video

View Brochure
Built with Hobart quality & durability, the Handler® 140 is Hobart's most popular wire feed welder - it is MIG ready, no additional kit required. The Handler® 140 is a wire welding package with industrial performance, operating on standard 115V household current. Extremely versatile and perfect for the welder that wants to work on auto body, household repairs, or even heavier farm projects that require extra power. Tapped voltage gives you the best possible power and arc available while welding. Includes: comfortable 10 ft. H100S2-10 MIG gun with liner, built-in gas valve, dual gauge regulator and gas hose, 10 ft. work cable with clamp, power cord with plug, extra .030 in. contact tips, sample spool of .030 in. flux-cored welding wire and 8 in. wire spool adapter.

• Welds 24 ga. up to 1/4 in. mild steel in a single pass
  • Operates off 115V household current
  • 4 voltage settings for precise set-up
  • 30 to 140 output amperage
  • Duty cycle - 20% at 90 amps
  • Dual groove, quick change drive roll
  • Self-resetting thermal overload system protection
  • Built-in contactor eases use and is an excellent safety feature which makes wire electrically "cold" when not welding
  • Manufacturers limited warranty

I have a Hobart Handler 135 which I got at Harbor Freight a few years ago. I had a coupon from their website and got a screamin deal on it. It was set up for gas and I think I paid around $415 for it plus tax. I really like it. I did have to get the tank of course but everything else was included. I don't think HF carries Hobart anymore.

I have used it mainly for patch panels ect on the cuda body. Seems to work well for heavier stuff too (but haven't done a lot of that).

Has anyone ever heard of or used this welder?
Smarter Tools 120-Volt MIG Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder

Never heard of it before. Someone mentioned TSC as a Hobart supplier. I've noticed the TSC near me has really stepped up their inventory on machines, consumables and welding/fabricating tools.

Hobart is a very good brand, its Miller's econo line now. (farm and hobby line) In my opinion as a welder/fabricator, Miller and Lincoln are tops, followed by Thermal Arc and ESAB and then Hobart. You wont go wrong with any of the above machines. I've used them all, and they will all serve you well over the years if you look after them.
My suggestion in general is to spend a few more bucks and buy a 220V machine or one that has an auto-voltage feature (110/220v). Not only will you have the omph for heavier welding if you so desire (trailers, benches etc) but you also wont be working the bags off of it and its worth more for resale.

Should you decide to stay 110v, look for models with 100% variable heat settings (instead of tap switch selector).

Go with the Hobart or find yourself a used Miller in good shape. The other one looks a little cheap & probably a chinese brand. I've had a Mac Tools 135A welder that is a Miller for 20 years & it's never let me down. Works great & is rock solid sturdy.

-
Back