Well It Finally Happened

-
I think Glen is keeping his family.
I think I will keep my wife. That's not to say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy my supercharger. Bang for the buck is definitely there. I am going to have $10,000 into this 416 before all is said and done. I will also miss the attention my car got, just lift off the hood and people just flocked to it. Shawn knows what I am talking about as he had one before he bought mine. It's just that I have been lured by sound (rumpity rump) if the small block strokers lately and the success most are having with them.

Okay,
So it's been a while since I updated this thread. The machine shop still has my engine. The block has been hot tanked, bored 0.030, honed and zero decked. The heads are being worked on right now. They are checking the valve guides and installing the valves (2.05 on the intake) . The rotating assembly is already balanced and the short block is ready for assembly. In the mean time me and my buddy Larry are working on the engine compartment. We have welded all unnecessary holes shut and we rerouted the wiring for the headlights, parking/turn signals and horns through the frame. The voltage regulator, starter solenoid, MSD wiper resistor have been moved to a plate that we made that fits under the dash and will be totally concealed. I made the adjustable voltage regulators adjustment pot accessable through a hole in the plate. Additionally there is 2 fuse blocks the have LEDs that turn on when a fuse is blown. One is switched power and the other is battery. I also made a ground bus as well. Enjoy the pictures.

MSD/ voltage regulator side.
IMG_20180113_232403354.jpg

Redone engine compartment.
IMG_20171216_231138024_TOP.jpg
Notice the rerouted brake lines and line lock.
IMG_20171216_225012479.jpg
IMG_20180113_232216624.jpg
Fuse block side.

Okay,
So it's been a while since I updated this thread. The machine shop still has my engine. The block has been hot tanked, bored 0.030, honed and zero decked. The heads are being worked on right now. They are checking the valve guides and installing the valves (2.05 on the intake) . The rotating assembly is already balanced and the short block is ready for assembly. In the mean time me and my buddy Larry are working on the engine compartment. We have welded all unnecessary holes shut and we rerouted the wiring for the headlights, parking/turn signals and horns through the frame. The voltage regulator, starter solenoid, MSD wiper resistor have been moved to a plate that we made that fits under the dash and will be totally concealed. I made the adjustable voltage regulators adjustment pot accessable through a hole in the plate. Additionally there is 2 fuse blocks the have LEDs that turn on when a fuse is blown. One is switched power and the other is battery. I also made a ground bus as well. Enjoy the pictures.

MSD/ voltage regulator side.View attachment 1715130394

Redone engine compartment.
View attachment 1715130396 Notice the rerouted brake lines and line lock.View attachment 1715130397View attachment 1715130391 Fuse block side.
nice would love to be there to help and learn. Can't wait to see it finished. keep us updated

Looks real nice, Glenn. Neat and clean. Who painted your engine compartment?
Thanks Mike. My buddy Larry (with the twin turbo D150) painted it for me. Just talked to Shawn at Domhoff's today. The machine work is just about done. I am going to drop off a few more Benjamins tomorrow. I will get a few pics. Larry and I are going to do the assembly. I just have to get a few more items. I was going to let Doug put it together but I have to watch the cash flow. I was looking at a set of the Summit ceramic coated headers as the Doug's cost about twice the amount. What do you think?

Your machinist looks like he did a great job with the block.

No offense, but if you can see chatter in the seat (on the intake seat in the picture) that seat needs to be touched up. Just because it took the bluing off doesn't mean it will seal. That makes me nervous.

No offense, but if you can see chatter in the seat (on the intake seat in the picture) that seat needs to be touched up. Just because it took the bluing off doesn't mean it will seal. That makes me nervous.
I think that he is still working on them. I will get more pics when he is done.

What's your cam style choice? Roller or flat, didn't see it in the posts.
Its going to be a solid roller somewhere in the 570 lift area. I am letting my engine builder select the cam for me as he has done several of these engines. When I get the exact specs I will post them. I will be using my Comp solid rollers lifters and my gold Crane roller rockers from my old engine. All of the valves, springs, retainers and locks will be new.

Thanks Mike. My buddy Larry (with the twin turbo D150) painted it for me. Just talked to Shawn at Domhoff's today. The machine work is just about done. I am going to drop off a few more Benjamins tomorrow. I will get a few pics. Larry and I are going to do the assembly. I just have to get a few more items. I was going to let Doug put it together but I have to watch the cash flow. I was looking at a set of the Summit ceramic coated headers as the Doug's cost about twice the amount. What do you think?
Hey you know what everybody thinks about headers OTHER than Doug's or TTI. I feel the same way. All that hard work you might as well buy good headers. Doug's or TTI. There is no other choice, brutha.

Hey you know what everybody thinks about headers OTHER than Doug's or TTI. I feel the same way. All that hard work you might as well buy good headers. Doug's or TTI. There is no other choice, brutha.
Aw Sh*t Mike,
I wanted you to tell me something different. LOL When I went over to see Doug yesterday he asked me if I wanted him to open up the ports on the intake to match the heads. He said it was only worth 4 or 5 horsepower and I'm thinking iis it worth it? But like you said it's not good to cut corners after spending 10 grand on a engine and when he told me it was only $75.00 to do it I'm thinking "CHEAP HORSEPOWER". I am also gonna let him assemble the short block for me.

Aw Sh*t Mike,
I wanted you to tell me something different. LOL When I went over to see Doug yesterday he asked me if I wanted him to open up the ports on the intake to match the heads. He said it was only worth 4 or 5 horsepower and I'm thinking iis it worth it? But like you said it's not good to cut corners after spending 10 grand on a engine and when he told me it was only $75.00 to do it I'm thinking "CHEAP HORSEPOWER". I am also gonna let him assemble the short block for me.
Well every other header I have seen definitely hang way lower than the TTI or Doug's. Not to mention fit.

He'll I'll bet Larry could handmake a real nice custom pair!

Doug called me today to let me know that after 6 months, my heads are finally done! So, I'll be back on the dyno soon. Hopefully I'll be able to finally end my "Missed on this combo" thread with good results. Picking them and my intake up Monday. I'll say hi to your motor for ya!

Well every other header I have seen definitely hang way lower than the TTI or Doug's. Not to mention fit.

Doug called me today to let me know that after 6 months, my heads are finally done! So, I'll be back on the dyno soon. Hopefully I'll be able to finally end my "Missed on this combo" thread with good results. Picking them and my intake up Monday. I'll say hi to your motor for ya!

Yes Larry could but they wouldn't. be ceramic coated so I guess I'll have to go with Doug's. Keep us posted on the heads, I'm very interested. Good luck Mike

Okay so it's update time. Got a call from the machine shop today and MY ENGINE IS DONE!!! I will pick it up tomorrow and be another $1800.00 in the hole but I will be smiling. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Okay so it's update time. Got a call from the machine shop today and MY ENGINE IS DONE!!! I will pick it up tomorrow and be another $1800.00 in the hole but I will be smiling. I will post pictures tomorrow.
Awesome Glen, glad to hear that. Did you get it dynoed? It' been a while I can't quite recall if you had planned to.

Awesome Glen, glad to hear that. Did you get it dynoed? It' been a while I can't quite recall if you had planned to.
Not Dynoed yet. The engine is only a short block and I still have to put rest of it together. I will have pictures tomorrow and I will keep everyone informed. After I get it together I will schedule dyno time . It shouldn't be too long.

Well I got the engine back from the shop today and it still needs some work. We noticed that there is some edges on the heads that need to be addressed so my buddy Larry is going to take care of that (don't worry he knows what he's doing, he's a machinist) . But the really concerning thing is that the paperwork that came with the short block says that wit .039 gaskets my compression ratio will only be 10.25:1. I was looking for more like 11:00 :1. My question for all of you FABO members that have done this, is what is the thinnest gasket I can get to try to get some compression back? Naturally we we take all of the precautions of checking for piston to valve clearance. I see there is a .027 commetic available, let me know what you guys think......oh yeah ..... PICTURES!
IMG_20180217_154322087.jpg
IMG_20180217_154308085.jpg
IMG_20180217_154303702.jpg
IMG_20180217_154219270.jpg
IMG_20180217_154211513.jpg

-
Back