Well, it's my turn to ask for suggestions..

-
Good find, and what I was going to suggest. Thanks for reporting back w/ details. But, I'm confused by your timing set. The one I used in my 273 had 3 different marks - dot, triangle, square I recall. One matches the pair for the desired timing (+4 deg, straight, - 4 deg), though the symbols were a bit hard to make out. I would be even more confused by yours. I hope it had a clear instruction sheet, not one of those "everyone knows" assumptions. I was also confused that the dots lined up when #6 was on TDC compression, when I expected #1, but found that is correct. I used a cam w/ about the same lifts (0.422/0.440), termed "RV Torquer". I care most about smooth idle and good mileage.

Bill what he did (as I understand), and he is not the first...........

The three (or how many) crank keys are marked with the timing marks so that you know which mark to use with which key. The actual timing mark is then repeated "offset" from the key, IE with the mark at 12 o'clock the key is around 1PM oclock as I remember.

I believe what he did was to mistakenly use the "key" mark for the timing mark, thus putting the key at 12 instead of the correct mark at 12.

-
Back