Well, it's my turn to ask for suggestions..

-
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guyz............... Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta give me a minute ......... I will post a picture, and you tell ME what's up!!! Never before in my life has this happened!

I'll ask, do you see it????

Attachments

• DSCI2452.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 294
I will tell you, this one is on ME :banghead:

I lined up the dot on the key way, instead of the dot on the tooth. This put my piston almost an inch away from TDC, and I was 3 teeth off on my dot-to-dot alignment. I've never done that before, but hey, I own this one. I can't believe it ran, and didn't back fire or anything, just a SLUG.... lol. I will get this back as time permits, and I'm sure it will run as I expected. I will post the final results when she is back together.
Oh, here come the folks to chew me out for not using the degreeing wheel.....

Attachments

• DSCI2453.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 323
Lol I did the same thing one time, never again! I got confused with the three keyways.

I'm thinking you did the same thing I did 40 some odd years ago. I had never had a 3 way timing set and installed it with the middle keyway instead of using the dot by the other keyway.

And I bet we have another on the forum right now with the same problem......

Three of us were tying at the same time with the same info. lol

Mine was in a 88 Econoline in my landmark, that is a Cab and chassis made into a duely fifth wheel hauler, pickup. 460 engine, What a PAIN IN THE *** to redo! Was I mad!

Wow, guess that would do it. But I still don't understand why it did not run well.....that was only 47 degrees of cam advance!! LOL

Glad it has been found!

Mine was on a 69 Dart GTS 4 speed car back in the seventies.

Looks like post 8, 13, and 19 NAILED it! Glad you found the issue......should run much better now!!!!

Awesome. I've done it twice, but it never got to the point of running. It was something I noticed after the cam was in but caught before the timing cover went on. That mistake (well, repeating that mistake) was one of the main reasons I started degreeing everything years ago...lol.

I lined up the dot on the key way, instead of the dot on the tooth. This put my piston almost an inch away from TDC, and I was 3 teeth off on my dot-to-dot alignment. I've never done that before, but hey, I own this one. I can't believe it ran, and didn't back fire or anything, just a SLUG.... lol. I will get this back as time permits, and I'm sure it will run as I expected. I will post the final results when she is back together.
Oh, here come the folks to chew me out for not using the degreeing wheel.....

Been there,done that! Did the wrong keyway gig,got smoked one Saturday night. Found & fixed it, smoked the same puts next Saturday night...You fixed it,that's what matters.

Ahhhh........ that's better!!

Now it idles like a 318 2 barrel. I believe the cam to be the one mention (.427/.444 lift) in post 45. Runs really good, smooth, and what I expected when I dropped it in the car. I hope this post will help somebody else down the road that makes the same absent-minded mistake I made, of lining up the dots on the key way instead of the dot on the tooth.

Big thanks to all that through out suggestions......

Very good....!!

BTW.... If you get the chance, could you take some compression readings again? It would be instructive IMO to compare the before and after compression numbers to see how much that level of cam advance (about 47 degrees, or 3 crank sprocket teeth) changed the compression readings. Might be a good reference for the future.

I would just like to mention, one trick I used a long time ago to find the right keyway position on a multi keyway timing set was to use a factory timing set at dot-to-dot, then slide the stock chain and gears off, and lining up the keyway in the multiset to determine where "straight up" was intended to be on the multi keyway deal. Of course the correct way is to degree it in, but I was doing it in the driveway and I didn't know any better at the time, lol.

I did the same thing once. I noticed it before I finished putting everything together when I was doing a "once over" and noticed the dot on the tooth and decided to read the instructions. Glad you figured it out, and you're not the first to do it, and won't be the last.

-
Back