Were Rally wheels available for 69s from the factory

-

CudaGuy383

Reaction score
I bought a 69 Formula S 383 Barracuda that came with rally wheels on it. Several guys have told me they were available as special order items but I cannot find any documentation that shows that. I have a Dealers brochure for the 69 Barracuda and they are not shown in there. This is a correct, numbers matching, original 383 Formula S Barracuda. I want to restore it correctly. I am leaning toward buying standard steel wheels and painting them to match. Does anyone have info on these wheels and where and when they were available. Were they correct for 1969 A bodies? Thanks.

Your car might have came with the aluminum ''recall'' wheels.
Most of them were taken off by the dealer and destroyed.
They might have put on rallye wheels as a replacement for them if it was just as the new for '70 models were released at approximately early September of '69.
That would be my wild guess........

This brings up the question, which rally design was first? Acorn, cone, "mexican hat"? What years? I have heard conflicting stories over the years.

This brings up the question, which rally design was first? Acorn, cone, "mexican hat"? What years? I have heard conflicting stories over the years.

Here are your '70 "Styled Road Wheels":
1970-dodge-challenger-dealer-brochure-4.jpg

I have a set of those w13 deep dish covers in the basement. I had acorn rally's on my 68 when I bought it, thats why I was curious.

I ordered my brand new 73 duster with rallys. acorn style (5 on 4.5" first year). I order her before the brochures were even out. I didn't know what grill or tail lights I would get but they said they were changed. I had to wait an extra 7 weeks past the promise date for delivery. The car was build but the wheel manufacturer ( Kelsey Hayes I think) was on strike. Loved that car.

Centers do interchange within the bolt pattern. Light Sombrero, dark Sombreros then Acorns in that order

I bought a 69 Formula S 383 Barracuda that came with rally wheels on it. Several guys have told me they were available as special order items but I cannot find any documentation that shows that. I have a Dealers brochure for the 69 Barracuda and they are not shown in there. This is a correct, numbers matching, original 383 Formula S Barracuda. I want to restore it correctly. I am leaning toward buying standard steel wheels and painting them to match. Does anyone have info on these wheels and where and when they were available. Were they correct for 1969 A bodies? Thanks.
Mine too is a numbers matching, all original 383 barracuda. These were exceptionally rare cars, only 377 made in 1969. Yes, rally wheels could be ordered. The wheels you see in my photo came on the car. The car was a one owner and he had photos of when he drove it home. Rally wheels were on it then and my window sticker shows them as ordered. So they are correct, just not common.

-
Back