What’s the exact process to identify a real 66 Formula S Barracuda?

-
I once owned a 66 Formula S. It had the 273 Super Cammando, auto with the console, 7 1/4" rear end. No sway bar, no disc brakes, and no way of knowing if it ever had these options sue to it being lost in an ugly divorce.

I have been looking to replace that car for over 20 years. I recently found a "Formula S" car and was seriously considering buying it. However, after seeing the fender tag I found it to be a non-S 273 commando car. No sway bar. No disc brakes (which I thought were an option) and no 7 under the F.

My question is....even though I want a true Formula S car.....are these non-S cars still valuable? The one I found is being sold as an S car and even has the Formula S emblem on the fender. Any advice would be appreciated. If someone knows of a 66 Formula S for sale....please.....do share. I am ready to scratch this 20 year itch! Thanks!

This car had EVERY standard Formula S item, but was not a Formula S. Also had a four speed and disc brakes. Yes, it was/is valuable. I changed the color, however (back in the 1980s).
Lilcuda1.jpg
Fender tag.jpg

Disc brakes and an 8 3/4 were options, but, a front sway bar was standard on a Formula S. I wish you had asked a few years ago. I had several for sale then.

I spent a great amount of time on the classifieds on here. Nothing......yet. I can only hope the right car shows up!

It looked like this when I took it apart for paint in 1981. My wife and I actually had dinner tonight with a sister of the guy I bought it from. Lifelong friends are great. I loved the car, but it wasn't what I really wanted at the time I sold it. I wanted to build a big block Dart and wasn't about to swap a big block into the GTS convertible, plus our second kid was on the way and we needed something "practical" to go along with the GTS.
img319.jpg

It looked like this when I took it apart for paint in 1981. My wife and I actually had dinner tonight with a sister of the guy I bought it from. Lifelong friends are great. I loved the car, but it wasn't what I really wanted at the time I sold it. I wanted to build a big block Dart and wasn't about to swap a big block into the GTS convertible, plus our second kid was on the way and we needed something "practical" to go along with the GTS.
View attachment 1715784754

I always felt the front fenders of the 66 reminded me of a bulldog. Leaning forward to attack. I need another 66 Formula S in my life. Hopefully one day.....

My old one was soft yellow with black interior and a full console. I had it repainted Q2 Glamor Turquise with black stripes and pearl in the clearcoat. It was such a gorgeous car. Gone with the wind......

I always felt the front fenders of the 66 reminded me of a bulldog. Leaning forward to attack. I need another 66 Formula S in my life. Hopefully one day.....

My old one was soft yellow with black interior and a full console. I had it repainted Q2 Glamor Turquise with black stripes and pearl in the clearcoat. It was such a gorgeous car. Gone with the wind......

Build your own. Not much to make even a /6, 66 Barracuda into a formula S clone. Who cares about matching numbers? It will still be a great car.

That's like my very 1st '66, which I still have. It has all the options, but, not a FS. It's also a heater delete car. Very unusual.

It's why I love Mopars while my Dad has always been a Ford fan. It seems that no two mopars were built alike. I've seen 66s with 64/65 parts on them. Now learning that you could buy a FS with everything but the badge. They are all so unique!

Yes, early '66 models didn't get the fish emblems. They still used the V's. The only parts that visually carried over from '65 however, were the chrome plate below the back glass, and the horn button, but there were some other less obvious ones that did too. Near as I can determine, it was around the first week of Oct 1965 when the changeover happened.

came across this thread researching Formula S Barracuda's

i recently purchased one here in the UK that has only been here for a few years.

DSCF6843.JPG

The Blue one is the Formula S

the 'Gold' one i purchased from the US about 8 years ago.

The Blue car is a genuine S and has been featured in this forum before.

the Gold car is a Commando non S

DSCF6877.JPG

DSCF6878.JPG

DSCF6876.JPG

the Blue car is auto and has manual drums and steering

the Gold car i a 4 speed and has power drums and power steering. no tacho in the Gold car.

but i have managed to purchase a Kelsey Hayes disc set up and an 8-3/4 with a sure-grip to go on the Gold car.

came across this thread researching Formula S Barracuda's

i recently purchased one here in the UK that has only been here for a few years.

View attachment 1715804045

The Blue one is the Formula S

the 'Gold' one i purchased from the US about 8 years ago.

The Blue car is a genuine S and has been featured in this forum before.

the Gold car is a Commando non S

View attachment 1715804046

View attachment 1715804047

View attachment 1715804048

the Blue car is auto and has manual drums and steering

the Gold car i a 4 speed and has power drums and power steering. no tacho in the Gold car.

but i have managed to purchase a Kelsey Hayes disc set up and an 8-3/4 with a sure-grip to go on the Gold car.

That second car is the same color that my old one was originally.

-
Back