What’s the exact process to identify a real 66 Formula S Barracuda?

-
Who knows that the 1965 Formula S badge is one year only ? And any one know the code for the Blue Streak tires for 65/66 if it's on the fender tag ?
Correct about the emblem, it also is not flat like the 66-up ones, has the very slightest curve to it.

As for the Goodyear Blue Streak tires, they came standard on 65-66 Formula S cars and also non-S cars that had the heavy duty suspension with the 5.5” wide rims....no code on the fender tag for the B.S. tires

Here is my dads car

D65F3239-D318-40D1-8F49-C6F92842FCA0.jpeg

Some old pictures from 1976, restored in 1986, think the pictures of the car with the Goodyear Blue streak tires was taken in 1991, and those are original tires! Car now wears Coker repops and really makes the car pop...factory one as a spare yet.

73C5E9B0-F262-4A16-9363-ED16A7282D06.jpeg

F900F8A1-144C-4B49-96AC-56B613857F38.jpeg

BD68E4D6-B5E6-49B9-8358-2948495CB59F.jpeg

7DECAEE8-B0A9-44FC-92E8-BE02DF80BF88.jpeg

358BB613-9A53-403F-A6F0-A1BEC74B115B.jpeg

F582E045-6B79-4F6E-9891-595D3BC3CB22.jpeg

79A769B0-96D9-487C-AB7E-139CDC160172.jpeg

A70C0749-80F9-48FB-8EFE-B2A9CC2F630D.jpeg

Correct about the emblem, it also is not flat like the 66-up ones, has the very slightest curve to it.

As for the Goodyear Blue Streak tires, they came standard on 65-66 Formula S cars and also non-S cars that had the heavy duty suspension with the 5.5” wide rims....no code on the fender tag for the B.S. tires

Here is my dads car

View attachment 1715517946
Yep - just wounder about the tires - I have half of my build sheet on the silver one.

Some old pictures from 1976, restored in 1986, think the pictures of the car with the Goodyear Blue streak tires was taken in 1991, and those are original tires! Car now wears Coker repops and really makes the car pop...factory one as a spare yet.

View attachment 1715517949

View attachment 1715517950

View attachment 1715517951

View attachment 1715517952

View attachment 1715517953

View attachment 1715517954

View attachment 1715517955

View attachment 1715517956

See you still have the correct spare tire cover - it had the half C cut out for the larger wheel.....kinda hard to find those. Really nice car there !

See you still have the correct spare tire cover - it had the half C cut out for the larger wheel.....kinda hard to find those. Really nice car there !

Good eye! The trunk divider also has an area where it’s cutout for the wider tire when it’s down

Oh...on that 1965 Form S emblem - the pins are horizontal - and the rest - 1966 up are vertical - of course the 1969 trunk emblem is by itself.

Got one of those emblems right here on my desk. I cannot see a curve to it and it sits flat (the face) on the desk.

Hi everyone. They were making blue lined repro tires 15-20 years ago they were not blue streaks if I remember correctly. Any interest out there? Maybe we could get them to do it again if there is enough interest. Also I know of a tire mfg co wholesale only but I could ask them to see if there might be interest there, blue streaks maybe, maybe not. But they make some slicks there I don't what types but I plan to find out.

View attachment 1715517949

View attachment 1715517950

View attachment 1715517951

View attachment 1715517952

View attachment 1715517953

View attachment 1715517954
View attachment 1715517955

View attachment 1715517956

I didn't notice your post before, does Coker still make repops of the blue streaks? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice your post before, does Coker still make repops of the blue streaks? Thanks.

I think so, but expensive at $400 each....a guy we used to know had 10 originals and would not sell them...probably the only guy alive with that many originals. Dad borrowed a set for a few shows and took some pictures. The car had white wall bias ply Goodyear’s that he put on in 1987 and they just didn’t look right...a little skinnier too. These tires are the icing on the cake and drive really nice!

Dad has looked everywhere since he has had this car in 1976 for some and he has never found one come up for sale anywhere! He has only seen 1 or 3 used as a spare in the trunk. I have looked for these too for almost 30 years and bought the only 2 I have ever found! I found one here on FABO still mounted on the wide rim and I traded a set of rallye wheels for it and that’s the one he uses in his trunk. I found another one on eBay about 10 years ago or so and I got it so cheap, can’t believe nobody bid on it....that one will be a wall hanger I’m sure!

Last edited:
Got one of those emblems right here on my desk. I cannot see a curve to it and it sits flat (the face) on the desk.

I thought they had the slightest curve to them that was a little hard to notice. I have some nice originals I should look too, I could be wrong!

Last edited:
I thought they had the slightest curve to them that was a little hard to notice. I have some nice originals I should look too, I could be wrong!
I think so, but expensive at $400 each....a guy we used to know had 10 originals and would not sell them...probably the only guy alive with that many originals. Dad borrowed a set for a few shows and took some pictures. The car had white wall bias ply Goodyear’s that he put on in 1987 and they just didn’t look right...a little skinnier too. These tires are the icing on the cake and drive really nice!

Dad has looked everywhere since he has had this car in 1976 for some and he has never found one come up for sale anywhere! He has only seen 1 or 3 used as a spare in the trunk. I have looked for these too for almost 30 years and bought the only 2 I have ever found! I found one here on FABO still mounted on the wide rim and I traded a set of rallye wheels for it and that’s the one he uses in his trunk. I found another one on eBay about 10 years ago or so and I got it so cheap, can’t believe nobody bid on it....that one will be a wall hanger I’m sure!
I looked at Coker and the only tires they show are a 3/8 inch wide blue side wall tires and no blue streaks and about $350.00 each. I would pay that if they were the blue streaks but a bit pricy for me with just a blue line. I'll spend it on a set of TTI's and a pair of slicks. As I tell my kids grandpa needs a new pair of slicks. lol.

Not that it matters so much - not any one would notice. The 65 emblem ending number is 42 - this was off my first S car that was parted out in 1975.
20200430_154837.jpg
20200430_155145.jpg

Yep....also if you guys see a 65/66 fold down back panel - like this - it also was cut out like the carbon spare tire cover for the 14 wheel.

Just a note - the photo is up side down - and just throwing some stuff out there as if you find a car that perhaps is stripped of some of the parts - or if you have some different parts that are odd. Hope it's okay guys.

20200430_193332.jpg

Last edited:
I think I ordered the Blue Streak tires through Summit
I looked at Coker and the only tires they show are a 3/8 inch wide blue side wall tires and no blue streaks and about $350.00 each. I would pay that if they were the blue streaks but a bit pricy for me with just a blue line. I'll spend it on a set of TTI's and a pair of slicks. As I tell my kids grandpa needs a new pair of slicks. lol.

Amazing that we're still trying to decipher these things after 50 years.

I bought 66 mainly because it was unmolested.
273 2bbl
7-1/4" rear
factory 4 speed
13" wheels

I've actually never seen a factory 4 speed 66 with a console, but I had to add that...gotta have a place to put a coffee and plug in a cell phone
I have one....

The trip odometer on the 120 speedo was 1967 only (as far as 67-69, can't remember on '66).
I hate to say never since there was a lot of oddball stuff done back in the day, but, I've never seen a '66 Barracuda without a trip odometer......whether it was a 120, 150, tach type, etc.

I hate to say never since there was a lot of oddball stuff done back in the day, but, I've never seen a '66 Barracuda without a trip odometer......whether it was a 120, 150, tach type, etc.
The early Barracudas were very interesting cars. Many options that weren't available on other models and not tons of information about what was available.

In order to be a Formula S it also had to have the rallye suspension. Not everybody knew to check that box or to check the "S" package. My old '66 had every "S" piece, but was not an "S". I knew of another very similar to mine that was not an "S", either. Also, no such thing as a '68 383 Barracuda that was not an "S". Not until '69 when you could order a 'cuda 383...
I currently have one like that too.....all the performance goodies, but, not a Formula S. Strange, you'd think it was cheaper to order the S package than to order each thing separately.

I currently have one like that too.....all the performance goodies, but, not a Formula S. Strange, you'd think it was cheaper to order the S package than to order each thing separately.

Think it might come down to insurance - pretty sure they were wise by 1965.......

I once owned a 66 Formula S. It had the 273 Super Cammando, auto with the console, 7 1/4" rear end. No sway bar, no disc brakes, and no way of knowing if it ever had these options sue to it being lost in an ugly divorce.

I have been looking to replace that car for over 20 years. I recently found a "Formula S" car and was seriously considering buying it. However, after seeing the fender tag I found it to be a non-S 273 commando car. No sway bar. No disc brakes (which I thought were an option) and no 7 under the F.

My question is....even though I want a true Formula S car.....are these non-S cars still valuable? The one I found is being sold as an S car and even has the Formula S emblem on the fender. Any advice would be appreciated. If someone knows of a 66 Formula S for sale....please.....do share. I am ready to scratch this 20 year itch! Thanks!

Disc brakes and an 8 3/4 were options, but, a front sway bar was standard on a Formula S. I wish you had asked a few years ago. I had several for sale then.

-
Back