What’s the exact process to identify a real 66 Formula S Barracuda?

-
Maybe export? No biggie. Just a laugh as far as I'm concerned.
I might as well sidetrack some more. LOL According to the dealer data books, the 68 Barracuda wasn't available with a 273 (2 or 4 barrel)
The Valiant was available with a 273-2 though.

I think they went with all 318's in 68 as I can't recall any 273's.

In Barracudas, yes. Darts and Valiants could still be had with a 273 two barrel in '68 and '69.

OK. I just couldn't remember. Got that CRS disease. And old on top of it.

But now the BIG question what speedo does it have? And how long have you had it?

120 speedo. Nothing else from the decor group, vaccum gauge or tach were the only single gauge options, and it has the vaccum gauge.

The only other options it was ordered with were remote door mirror, underhood pad, sure-grip, and 383, which came with the Formula S stuff.
Bench seat, no radio, hubcaps.

I have the fender tag and IBM buildcard.

It had period, old, Cragars, Superior 500 wheel, Hurst, which is a one year only bench shifter, and traction bars.

I bought it from the third owner, who flipped it, spoke to the second owner, who verified the same condition.

My 120 speedo crapped out years ago, and I found a cherry 150 speedo here on fabo, so I grabbed it.

67 speedo is one year only, technically, due to the screw on cable. Tough to find a 150.

I also found a page that states in 66 only, the Formula S came with a tach.

I'd have to dig up the IP I have but I do believe it's a 150 with a tach. But it will be a little while before I can get to it.

In 1984 a teller at the bank at the Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne, PA had a ’67 convertible, white, white top and red interior, 273 4 Barrel, 4 speed, 8 ¾ diff, buckets seats and the single exhaust chrome tip. Nowhere on the car did it say Formula S! Does anybody have this car? Does anybody know about this car? I was out of touch for a week around the time the young lady was getting married and moving to Holland, yeah that Holland, in Europe, she couldn't take it so I missed the car. I don’t know if it was early or late production, did the dealer order something like a Formula S delete or did a customer walk in and order all the Formula S stuff by the piece? And then there was my friend’s ’68 383 4 speed Notchback non-S. It had so much rust it probably was considered a lightweight!

In order to be a Formula S it also had to have the rallye suspension. Not everybody knew to check that box or to check the "S" package. My old '66 had every "S" piece, but was not an "S". I knew of another very similar to mine that was not an "S", either. Also, no such thing as a '68 383 Barracuda that was not an "S". Not until '69 when you could order a 'cuda 383...

Yes they build notchback S's my friend had one with the mod top. How cool would that be today.

My friend had the car in 1972 or '73. As I recall the interior was stripped out except for the buckets, might have had the back seat. I don't remember any emblems although it may have had the 383-S hood trim. It would be interesting to go back and check the VIN and trim tags! I took it out on the highway and spun the tires through first, second and part of third!

this formula s thing is an interesting dilemma...A barracuda basically came with whatever the buyer and salesperson sat down and decided it would unless there was a order restriction that was not able to be changed. I have a 1965 barracuda with a 273 commando, 4 bbl, heavy suspension, sway bar, 4 gear, factory tach etc that is a non formula s car but rather a fender tag 5 option..."performance package barracuda"

That's what I've been wondering is did some guy, or girl for that matter, walk into their friendly neighborhood Plymouth dealer and say I want a 383 4 speed Notchback and was told it needed to be an S and they said said OK, no, see ya and the salesman says wait wait wait. In the late Seventies I met a guy who worked at the Newark Plant who said "You wouldn't believe the cars we've built". He never told me what though. I think when the sales manager called the zone office and said the customer was going to walk that they would get something built for them.

Oh I would imagine you could order almost every Formula S option separately. You would get everything except the badging.

Oh I would imagine you could order almost every Formula S option separately. You would get everything except the badging.
I think that's exactly it Mike...This car on my profile has every option except the badging...So is it less of a car...no its a little bit lighter and less wind resistant from not having the badging...LOL...but seriously I don't believe a purist would pay formula s value even though this car has all the options.

This has come up before. My early build 65 has 273 4bbl 4 speed suspension package with sway bar but came with 9 inch drums and power brakes. They sure built some weird cars back then. My car checks out by the build sheet.

You could definitely order almost anything, if not everything, separately from the Formula S package, it is clearly stated, especially in the 69 info.
Formula S emblems not available outside the S package.
150 speedo could be ordered independent of the Sport Package.

Imo, no way is it less of a car, it as unique as the owner who ordered it, and probably didn't want to pay extra for items that added nothing to performance or driveability, and added to the monthly payment.

In the late 80s early 90s my car had the fenders replaced with rust free ones and minor repairs to the lower rear quarters before it's only respray.
I know because I talked to the second owner multiple times, and I bought it from the third who never registered it.

So in 67 the only Formula S exterior identification was the emblem on the fenders, and used fenders bolted on obviously doesn't mean it's not an S. (unless 383, then 383 emblems and dual exhaust valence)

Stuff happens, and finding a set of rust free fenders at that time was probably an easier endeavor, may have even initiated a respray.

Formula S emblems, and 383 emblems, were never put back on, the V Eight emblems were left on, possibly on purpose.

Ironically, when I joined this forum I returned those emblems which led to comments such as, that seems to have grown some emblems since the last time a pic was posted.

The Formula S package was available in all three 1967-69 body styles. The only drive train option that was not available in the convertible was the '69 'cuda 440. 340, 383, and 440 ALL required the suspension package. 383 in '67 and '68 required the Formula S package ('cuda 383 was also available in '69). 340 in '68 required the "S" package. '69 340 was available in Formula S, 'cuda, and plain, but still came with the suspension package.

I'd have to dig up the IP I have but I do believe it's a 150 with a tach. But it will be a little while before I can get to it.
I just dug it up it's a 150 speedo with a tach and a trip (I misspoke before I said no trip).

You could definitely order almost anything, if not everything, separately from the Formula S package, it is clearly stated, especially in the 69 info.
Formula S emblems not available outside the S package.
150 speedo could be ordered independent of the Sport Package.

Imo, no way is it less of a car, it as unique as the owner who ordered it, and probably didn't want to pay extra for items that added nothing to performance or driveability, and added to the monthly payment.

In the late 80s early 90s my car had the fenders replaced with rust free ones and minor repairs to the lower rear quarters before it's only respray.
I know because I talked to the second owner multiple times, and I bought it from the third who never registered it.

So in 67 the only Formula S exterior identification was the emblem on the fenders, and used fenders bolted on obviously doesn't mean it's not an S. (unless 383, then 383 emblems and dual exhaust valence)

Stuff happens, and finding a set of rust free fenders at that time was probably an easier endeavor, may have even initiated a respray.

Formula S emblems, and 383 emblems, were never put back on, the V Eight emblems were left on, possibly on purpose.

Ironically, when I joined this forum I returned those emblems which led to comments such as, that seems to have grown some emblems since the last time a pic was posted.
The Formula S package was available in all three 1967-69 body styles. The only drive train option that was not available in the convertible was the '69 'cuda 440. 340, 383, and 440 ALL required the suspension package. 383 in '67 and '68 required the Formula S package ('cuda 383 was also available in '69). 340 in '68 required the "S" package. '69 340 was available in Formula S, 'cuda, and plain, but still came with the suspension package.
All good information but we need to remember the OP is talking about a 1966 Barracuda. A lot of things changed with the 67 model year.

Who knows that the 1965 Formula S badge is one year only ? And any one know the code for the Blue Streak tires for 65/66 if it's on the fender tag ?

-
Back