What’s the tool you bought and never use but saves your butt when you do need it?

-

Cliff Ramsdell

I'm just a guy.
Reaction score
Building a transmission today and some ham fisted idiot who, no doubt does not own a torque wrench, had stripped out a few bolt holes in the transmission case. Two, piece of cake, the third was in a spot that you can’t drill out.

In the back of the left bottom box, 4th drawer from the bottom lives my almost never used MATCO reversible, 90 degree drill. Out she comes and saves the day.

What lives in the tool box and never (mostly) gets used?

Cliff Ramsdell
FB4FB339-68AC-4E8D-B56D-6FF5BE8DA3C3.jpeg
B0C3E837-97AE-4100-AEB4-43FAE6486FD5.jpeg
image.jpg

I bought a PS pump pulley remover at a swap meet for $10, looked new, said he used it once. It's one of those where you chuck it up and turn a bolt and it pulled the pressed on pulley off. 6 years later, I but a new alternator for something and it doesn't come with the pulley so I said "oh I think i have something that will pull the old one off" sure enough, in the second place I look I find it dusty and ready to go. Those MF'n pulleys are on there good!

Trans. tailshaft bushing remover/installer.
intermediate dist. shaft bushing remover/ installer.
mastercool hydraulic flaring tool, love it. Let my brother borrow it and he had to have his own, of coarse a bigger set than mine:lol:

I had a whole truck full of those kind of tools. I was the go to guy when someone needed a special tool.

tool truck.jpg

My cotter pin puller gets alot of use.
Great for getting around and breaking the seal on fused heater or radiator hoses without destroying the rubber. Also good for installing springs in hard to reach areas and many other uses.
I never used it to pull a cotter pin though. Lol
Screenshot_20220705-180644_Chrome.jpg

Left hand drill bits I've had for awhile now. Never used them yet. Plenty of others.
I'll tell ya a tool I bought that was only used once. 1972 Chevy Vega rear brake pliers to release the adjuster.
The adjuster was a slide and if you used anything but the tool the tabs would break off and the adjuster was junk.
K-D tool sat in my box for 40 years. Never could find another use for it. Pitched it in 2012. Killed me to do it but it was useless.

Couldn't install my Doug's headers or upgrade my valve springs without these. 65'
20220705_183507.jpg

A mask, saved my butt every time I walked into a hospital the last two years.

My torque wrench, used it maybe three times the last 2 1/2 years.

My '73 Land Rover has a hand crank starter option. Alternator went out and I accidentally turned it off in the parking lot (Diesel). Got a lot of weird looks using that one, but it got me home!

My '73 Land Rover has a hand crank starter option. Alternator went out and I accidentally turned it off in the parking lot (Diesel). Got a lot of weird looks using that one, but it got me home!

not in my toolbox, but a mig welder , and a lathe ----

-
Back