What a 1968 340 manual transmission cam idles like in a 1969 340

-

VOETOM

Reaction score

Idling about low at 750 or so. This is with the VOE mufflers in the open mode.
It has stock exhaust manifolds and 2.5" pipes, both sides, running into a Dr. Gas X 2.5" junction and then into the mufflers. Tailpipes are stock, with the original small diameter inlet chrome tips.

Last edited:

This is the same speed, roughly 750 rpm, but mufflers are closed.

It has stock exhaust manifolds and 2.5" pipes, both sides, running into a Dr. Gas X 2.5" junction and then into the mufflers. Tailpipes are stock, with the original small diameter inlet chrome tips.

The X smooths some of the rumpety rump of the cam but you can still hear it in both pipes.

Last edited:
Sounds great Tom. I still need to figure out how to upload the before and after videos of mine with the Dynomax VT's installed.

QK, It was easy. Load it on Youtube and paste the link on the post. it does the rest for you! Its magic, baby!
Tom

Experiment on my 68 340 engine idle , small tailpipe
Thanks Tom for lessons on YouTube I didn't know how . Didn't mean to jump in on your thread

Last edited:
Both ways sound great! I really want to ad either an H or X pipe. Mine just sounds too loud as it is now with the Super 44's. I regret buying them to be honest. Great sounding car you got!

Love the sound. Nice lope. Cam specs and brand?

Both cars sound great guys. I know when I did my own redneck port job on the 273 it changed the sound enough that Lori noticed the change.
Videos of both of those rumbling down the road.

Idling about low at 750 or so. This is with the VOE mufflers in the open mode.

Sounds great Tom...what else is done to the engine?

Getting her out between rain showers for a bath Tom? See you in a bit!

Toolman it is a 2899205 1968 340 manual cam ground by CamCraft in 1982 or so.
65val, it has 1991 truck/Jeep cylinder heads and about 10.7:1 compression with a stock carburetor, intake and exhaust manifolds. It has an electronic distributor. The last time I ran it, with F70-14 bias ply Goodyear tires and better mufflers, it was running 13.60s at 104 mph. The cylinder heads were done by my friend that worked in the cylinder head lab at Chrysler and he did a lot to pick up tons of low lift and midlife airflow. They really picked up the power from low to high rpm and I raised the shift point from what used to be around 5700 to 6000 to 6100 rpm. It is a four speed with a 3.55 gear.

From another member a few years back. Here are the factory provided specifications on the cam: 68 340 4 speed cam: 276°/284° duration .444"/.453" lift, Int open: 26° BTDC, Int close: 70° ABDC, Exh open: 78° BBDC, Exh close: 26° ATDC, Overlap: 52° (thanks for this!)

Last edited:
Toolman it is a 2899205 1968 340 manual cam ground by CamCraft in 1982 or so.
65val, it has 1991 truck/Jeep cylinder heads and about 10.7:1 compression with a stock carburetor, intake and exhaust manifolds. It has an electronic distributor. The last time I ran it, with F70-14 bias ply Goodyear tires and better mufflers, it was running 13.60s at 104 mph. The cylinder heads were done by my friend that worked in the cylinder head lab at Chrysler and he did a lot to pick up tons of low lift and midlife airflow. They really picked up the power from low to high rpm and I raised the shift point from what used to be around 5700 to 6000 to 6100 rpm. It isa fur speed with 3.55 gear.
Your cylinder head guy wouldn't be Radar by chance?

No, a gentleman named Tim. He was/is a whiz with cylinder head airflow visualization.

Just curious. Radar is in my area and used to do experimental head work for Chrysler Corp. He worked for Gary Ostrich back in the day.

Next time, I'll put the dB meter on a stand and demonstrate the sound level changes.

-
Back