What a dilemma!

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
OK, I've recently received an offer on my car involving a straight up trade for another. I'm having some trouble with the decision... here's the deal:

My current car is a 1972 Demon that originally came with a 225/904/7.25 but is now equipped with a fresh 360/727/8.75 combo that I installed myself in the spring. The interior is 18,000 miles fresh but the car has very tired green paint and will require some bodywork when the time comes to shoot it. It's also originally a light enamel gold (GY4) on green car... hardly a cool combo in my mind but oddball enough to stand out at cruise night if I decided to go back to the factory colour.

The car I'm being offered is a 1973 Dart Sport 340. Factory black on black, buckets/console auto 8 1/4 w/ 3.55s. The engine in the car is a 68 340 that's seriously built up and although it's not the numbers engine, it is a real 340 car. Ironically, the car is wearing a complete 72 Demon front clip as the previous owner to the current one decided that the bulky 73 Dart nose wasn't to his liking and swapped everything including the shotgun scooped hood. The paint is pretty shiny and the body is arrow straight but to make the car right, I'd have to locate, install and paint a proper 73 front clip for it... of course then I wouldn't like looking at it as much as I do now.

So what to do? I prefer the 72 Demon style but I have had a Dart Sport before (1975 model) and like them as well and the fact that it's a real 340 car goes a long way. Still, only a Demon is a Demon, six cylinder or not and they've always been my absolute favourite Mopar... can you see why this is so hard? :(

Demon's are fairly rare, early 70's Darts you can get anytime you want, no offence to Dart owners, I'd stick with the Demon myself :-D

Just remember that if you do trade theres always a chance youll regret it later I ALWAYS REGRET SELLING MY BELVEDERE

but to make the car right, I'd have to locate, install and paint a proper 73 front clip for it... of course then I wouldn't like looking at it as much as I do now.

Still, only a Demon is a Demon, six cylinder or not and they've always been my absolute favourite Mopar..

I think those 2 comments in your post answer your own question. I think, based on what you said, that youd be better of having the body work/paint done on your Demon and keep it. New paint sure can make you feel like you have a new car!! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

There's no way I would ever trade a Demon for a Dart sport with or without a Demon front end.
And like you said a Demon is a Demon no matter what motor it originally came with. Also lets not forget it has one of the best names ever put on a car!

I would keep the Demon. The Dart is a 340 car and you may find it hard to mod it or change things around like you would a S/6 car. that is just MOA to each there own. It sounds like you have put a lot of work into your Demon and don't realy want to give it up to me.

stay with the demon....rare car, and once painted it will definatly look much more to your liking

Well I appreciate all of the feedback! I'm quite surprised that you're all on the same page as me and that no one has jumped on the "it's a real 340 car" bandwagon... only on FABO is an owner-modified slant six car on equal footing as a factory-built musclecar. I like it here. :)

If it's a swap, I wouldn't...........

I sold my Demon outright for $16K, then bought a 74 Dart Sport with a 360/727/8.25-3.55 Posi for $6500. clean.......add a thousand more, and I have a killer ride and cash in the bank.

Proceed with caution. :read2:

No decision in my mind. Your Demon is much rarer than the Dart Sport, and better looking IMHO. I'd love to have a Demon if I didn't have such a hankerin' to finish my '69 Dart to be like my old '69 340 Swinger I stupidly sold years ago.

Not a chance. Demons "rock". I drove ( 24 hours each way )from Perth Ontario to Miami Florida to trailer back my 1971 demon. I bought it from a guy on ebag. Besides, 340's are not that big of a deal anyways. An original H-code car may be worth more in the long run but only if restored back to original. Have fun with your demon the way it is and if you get tired, stuff a big block in it.

kenny b

Dave.... buddy..... sure, do the swap. Then I'll have to swipe the front clip for spare parts for my Demon. I'll be the vulture swooping in for the kill! :poke: :toothy10:

Seriously dude, keep the Demon. You know what it is and how much you've got invested into it. Your fresh motor, trans, 8-3/4, SS springs, and all the other upgrades that you've done. A paint job on your Demon will make you want to keep it.

Besides, have you ever sold a Demon and regretted it? Even just a little? As for an original 340 car..... it's not numbers matching. No big deal. Everyone's doing strokers these days. Enjoy your Demon.

Dave.... buddy..... sure, do the swap. Then I'll have to swipe the front clip for spare parts for my Demon. I'll be the vulture swooping in for the kill! :poke: :toothy10:

Seriously dude, keep the Demon. You know what it is and how much you've got invested into it. Your fresh motor, trans, 8-3/4, SS springs, and all the other upgrades that you've done. A paint job on your Demon will make you want to keep it.

Besides, have you ever sold a Demon and regretted it? Even just a little? As for an original 340 car..... it's not numbers matching. No big deal. Everyone's doing strokers these days. Enjoy your Demon.

Graham, always the voice of reason. :)

Not doing the swap, you guys convinced me (plus my wife said she leave me if I got rid of the car... she's a great gal!).

Also don't get to hung up on the factory color or motor of your Demon. Seriously, sometimes I think people put to much emphasis on this. Sure it's nice if it's a factory RARE color and you have the numbers matching motor etc and your going to sell it to a collector or on B.J. But some cars just plain have nice lines and they're always desirable.
Think about this, the last time you went to a car show, how many cars did you notice didn't have the factory paint job, or numbers matching motor? Like most people you probably didn't notice.
A nice looking Mopar is a nice looking Mopar, so paint it whatever color YOU think will look best on it, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Not doing the swap, you guys convinced me (plus my wife said she leave me if I got rid of the car... she's a great gal!).

I wouldn't do the swap. But by the looks of it you didn't have to ask us all you had to do was talk it over with your wife to find the answer you needed.

Though it was nice to be able to put in our two cents

Keep the Demon!!And buy the wife the Dart Sport!!Then everyone will be happy!!Then you can drive her car(vise-versa)A-body,s for everybody!!My 2 cents...

Keep it.

no......

TRADE it...

no......

Take what's in the box......

no......

I'll take what's behind Door #3 Bob...

I'm surprised anyone named "DemonDave" would even consider such a thing....:pale: lol

Glad you're coming to your senses :grin:

Demons Rock

-
Back