What adjustable rockers to buy at a reasonable cost?

-
I've heard good things about the PRW's as well, but not sure I'd compare them to those $230 rockers posted before. The PRW's are $300 more, and much of that will be presumably in machining, bearing quality and q.c. For that price, you're in Harlan Sharp and Mancini rockers territory and no longer talking about el-cheapo's.
Sorry..Wasnt meaning to compare to the cheaper ones was trying to promote away from them to something better such as the prw's or better quality stuff,aint nothing worse than a cheap set of rockers with breakage and ruining a good engine and wasting a bunch of coin and frustrations...

So I guess I have to digress again. I'm not doubting you but please tell me if
you are basing your opinion of the "cheaper ones" on price, on heresay or do
you have actual personal hands-on experience with the Pro-Comp Electronics
rockers? (I don't think I have heard from anybody yet that has.....have I?).

I bought a set of PRW rockers from KMJ a few years ago, and sent them back. I noticed pitting on a number of the rollers, and didn't want to take a chance. They may have improved since then.

See post #17.

I guess you're talking to me, but i was pretty up front saying i've never run the cheep rockers. I'm sure you've googled it and have read the hundred horror stories, and i get it if you're just looking for confirmation from guys you trust. But the evidence is SO overwhelming that they're junk, really, what would 1 guy saying 'run em' really mean?

I guess that's what he's lookin for to base his decision on. One guy whose had luck with them. Hay, run what you want. It's your money. I would run the stock stamped paddle rockers before the Pro Comps.

I guess that's what he's lookin for to base his decision on. One guy whose had luck with them.
I never said that. Maybe I'm looking for 10 guys who had bad luck with them to weigh in.
I want to hear from some people who have actually run them, not some with (probably
well founded) opinions.

Do an internet search. You'll find those ten guys real quick.

I'm sure you've googled it and have read the hundred horror stories, and i get it
if you're just looking for confirmation from guys you trust. But the evidence is SO
overwhelming that they're junk.......
Well, on your recommendation I did look. Checking about their Stainless Steel Roller
Rockers only, I found at least 8 very positive comments and one negative from a
failure on a Ford....but that guy came back and said that Pro-Comp had agreed to
pay for his entire engine rebuild.

I'd be glad to look at some evidence as you've described but simply didn't find any.
Most of the negative stuff was just railing on "Chinese Junk" in general.

If there were a lot of failures of these rockers, I'm sure they would be on the web.
That's where everybody goes when they have an ax to grind.

Do an internet search. You'll find those ten guys real quick.
As I just posted above, I did not find but one failure of their stainless
steel roller rockers and that was the type with needle bearings. The
ones for the Mopars are bushed instead for shaft mounting - no needles.

Never cheap out on rockers, I had a cheap 200.00 set in a 500 stroker well at 60 mph the roller tip pin fell out and the roller fell off you can guess what happened next yes totalled the entire motor including my eddy heads both sides. Lesson learned, the company actually credited me enough to purchase another stroker combo and was very helpful on the issue. After building my 521 I went with Crane golds 1.5 I like them a little noisey so I will be changing to T&D 1.6.

..do your build and cam specs prevent you from using stock rockers?
..just a thought?

Never cheap out on rockers, I had a cheap 200.00 set in a 500 stroker well at 60 mph the roller tip pin fell out and the roller fell off you can guess what happened next yes totalled the entire motor including my eddy heads both sides. Lesson learned, the company actually credited me enough to purchase another stroker combo and was very helpful on the issue. After building my 521 I went with Crane golds 1.5 I like them a little noisey so I will be changing to T&D 1.6.
Thanks Dave

I wouldn't cheap out on rockers either. The stamp steel heavy duties are good up to 500 lift I think. Hughes engines has a good tech section on rockers. A lot of my friends have used the ductile with banana groove shafts and shaft galling is still common because you have 2 hard surfaces working on each other. That's why a lot of people have them bushed. Now your getting into just buying a good set in the first place. Just my opinion. But the longer I fool with this stuff the quicker I learn.....pay now or pay later. Usually cost more later.

I just put comp pro mags in a warmed up 360. It was those or Harland Sharp. Most other stuff was too expensive or had horror stories by the dozen. Very quiet too.

only thru word of mouth a lot of guys i"ve talked to use and love Harland sharp very true this is a vital part to blue print or ink your ride or travel. Screws showed me a real good visual on the consistency of different types or company's that do not hold a standard in arm length. search under roller rockers and winstoninwisc it will shock you about the uniformity between different heads and rockers geometry from the pushrod length, to the valve guide on a rocker over riding the valve at higher rpms and im not talking 7000 a bad set up can go wrong at 4000 this was a true eye opener for me . Not inking this travel even side to side ,if you override that valve it will shut you down quick thanks to Mike my engine builder and Screws and Tony I saved a brand new engine . please go look up the graffics Screws put up for us all in that question ,let alone the springs catching a rocker arm or hitting on it until it goes BANG

RustyRatRod....I guess that's what he's lookin for to base his decision on. One guy whose had luck with them. Hay, run what you want. It's your money. I would run the stock stamped paddle rockers before the Pro Comps

I agree with rusty. ductile iron rockers have proven themselves over and over for the past 50 years. Your money do what you want.

^^^ i agree with bob

i also would add that if you are the type who inspects the valve train after every weekend of racing you might catch problems sooner so maybe you dont have to spend as much.

but if you are the type to put the valve cover on and forget them & never check your lash then yeah get irons or the most durable stuff you can afford

check this thread about some cheap rockers lol
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7796153

I wanted to use these on a 470" 400 street motor with a hydraulic roller camshaft
in the .585 lift range. Max 6500 rpm and not that often. I have used the ductile
iron Mopar rockers before (with a .750 mechanical roller) and no problems so
I am familiar with them......but that was 40 years ago.

I just cannot believe that the web is not rife with bad reviews if these things have
any kind of a significant failure rate - and I cannot find even one instance reported.

I don't think that Jegs would be selling anything that created constant problems either.

I liked the idea of a stainless steel roller tipped rocker (bushed; no needles). It is not
a matter of $$$. I'm going to take a set to my engine and cylinder head guy for his
opinion. He has a low 8-second B-body with an enormous wedge motor in it.

If anyone has a link that denotes an actual bad experience with THIS BRAND AND
STYLE/MODEL of roller rocker, I would like to see it.

Thanks

-
Back