What are the best small block to big block conversion mounts?

-

Jeremiah (jd)

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am considering switching over to a QA1 k member which will require LA to B motor conversion mounts. Any thoughts on which set to use? 440 Source, Mancini and others offer kits.

Thank you for any insight!

Give yourself room to work.

100_0115.JPG

100_0116 (2).JPG

1163993780lb.jpg

Some guys have recommended to me that even on a street swap I use a motor plate. On a B/RB this is relatively simple because you can just shave off the rear of the pump housing by the thickness of the plate, and still use the existing pulley setup. This frees up a fair amount of area for exhaust, etc

schumacher are the nicest in my opinion. have the transdapt ones in our dart now and don't like them. cheap imitation of Schumacher in my opinion.

I like the headers also due to multi purpose. If you bust a knuckle you can carderize it no bandaid needed. . Also hotdogs , Hamburgers and steaks wrapped in tinfoil can be warmed up in your pit area for a quick meal. Not to mention hand warmers on those cold mornings after maintenance.

Schumachers are now built and sold at Motech
Perf. in Murrieta, California.
They are a nice product and the owner Chris will go
out of his way to help you.
He did that for me consistently!!

Some guys have recommended to me that even on a street swap I use a motor plate. On a B/RB this is relatively simple because you can just shave off the rear of the pump housing by the thickness of the plate, and still use the existing pulley setup. This frees up a fair amount of area for exhaust, etc
I agree 100%. This is an original 383 4-speed GTS so no welding or cutting. Streeeeeeeet car lol.

I have a car with an tunnel ram/ Indy -13 w/ Ti valves and a Lenco...and a motor plate. It has glass doors and lexan.

My other motor plate app is a 511" (1000+ on n20) with a G-Force GF5r 5 speed, 2x beadlocks etc. More of a strip-street car.

The GTS is more of a run to the hardware store and stop at the local track for grudge night on the way home kind of machine. Motor plates are shiny...and for race cars lol.

Resized_20200724_202916001_817.jpeg

Screenshot_20210809-070812.jpg

Screenshot_20210809-070645.jpg

Screenshot_20210809-070540.jpg

I used Schumacher mounts to locate a mid plate and front plate with my mock up 400 block and gutted 727. It did take some wiggling around even with the Schumacher mounts but it worked well.
Oh I just read your gts is a high dollar car, disregard the mid plate and front plate, however it's easy to remove brackets and welds if you plan to bodywork and restore the car

I agree 100%. This is an original 383 4-speed GTS so no welding or cutting. Streeeeeeeet car lol.

I have a car with an tunnel ram/ Indy -13 w/ Ti valves and a Lenco...and a motor plate. It has glass doors and lexan.

My other motor plate app is a 511" (1000+ on n20) with a G-Force GF5r 5 speed, 2x beadlocks etc. More of a strip-street car.

The GTS is more of a run to the hardware store and stop at the local track for grudge night on the way home kind of machine. Motor plates are shiny...and for race cars lol.

View attachment 1716053465

View attachment 1716053466

View attachment 1716053467

View attachment 1716053468
Very cool

Schumachers are now built and sold at Motech
Perf. in Murrieta, California.
They are a nice product and the owner Chris will go
out of his way to help you.
He did that for me consistently!!
I agree with John. The diagram on the instructions was a little off in my application, but with loose factory tolerances and years of fatigue, that should be expected.

you can do the same with small blocks. i had 1/4" machined off the water pump mounting face of the timing cover for a small block so the pump still sits correctly spaced and the pulleys all line up right with the motor plate sandwiched in there.
neil.

my, that looks expensive. also my way eliminates the corrosion around the water ports where the pump attaches, bringing you back to good material.
neil.
As soon as my Steve gets into the other shop he wants to copy it. The material is getting expensive.

DSCN1178.JPG

Schumacher? Yeah, I have some here. They suck.

-
Back