What Are These Relays/Switches on the Underdash Harness?

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
As I try to make sure I have replaced every critical switch or relay in my electrical harnesses on my car, I was wondering if someone could tell me what each of these three relays/switches are on the wiring harness under the dash?

This relay (or whatever it is) comes directly off of the fuse box. I believe it has three wires that are shades of pink or red.

This canister-shaped component is mounted about mid way of the dash in the harness. It plugs into a multi-prong plug, but no wire branch off of it.

This last component is connected at the end of the harness closer to the glove box end. It has writing on it, but I don't know what it means.

Any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure what the first one is; 2nd looks like the time delay relay and the last one is either your turn signal or 4 way flasher

Not sure what the first one is; 2nd looks like the time delay relay and the last one is either your turn signal or 4 way flasher

Time delay relay for what? The 4-way flasher makes sense given where it is located on the dash. I will see if I can track down the schematic. The first one is really stumping me. Hope for some more feedback. Thanks.

i think the first is a circuit breaker for the accessories in case of a dead short.

Time delay relay for what? The 4-way flasher makes sense given where it is located on the dash. I will see if I can track down the schematic. The first one is really stumping me. Hope for some more feedback. Thanks.

How a year and make of the car???

Yup. Year, make and model This the reference you have to a 69 Dart, or something else?

Go to MyMopar and download a free factory service manual, as well as 3rd party simplified schematics. These however sometimes leave things out including options like "the time delay relay"

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

You can look at the connectors and wire colors and work out what they are, IE 4 way flasher is different colors than the turn sig. flasher.

I cannot tell from your photos what all wire colors you have, there

TS flasher is a red and a black

4x flasher is a red and two pink

Here is the delay relay right out of the shop manual

Attachments

• delay.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 335
This is my guess 1-horn relay 2-4 way flasher 3-turn signal flasher.

LOL.........Some of you guys are never going to learn, I guess, that there is 'good info' in those shop manuals. When I was a "kid" I actually had to buy them........from the dealer

Just answer the guy's question...that's all it takes.

1. The first relay with 2 PINK WIRES and a RED wire is the emergency flasher relay. Otherwise known as the 4-way flasher relay.

2. The second relay is the time-delay relay for the ignition switch lamp. That means your car must have a "light package"....glovebox, trunk and map lights, plus the aforementioned ignition switch light.

3. The third relay is the turn signal flasher.

My suggestion: Put everything together and see if 1 or more of those three fail to function. Out of those three, the timer relay is by FAR the most likely to be DOA. You can still get those relays with some searching.

Otherwise, don't spend money on things that are already working. The mymopar diagrams are extremely useful, as long as you aren't traumatized by trying to understand a wiring diagram.

If so, come here and ask your question and be prepared for your lecture as well:???:

IMO anyone working on anything involving voltage, need to learn how to read a wiring diagram. And there are good ones for free as mentioned by 67dart273.

Not disagreeing, but I don't recall an emergency flasher in my 69 Dart Custom, but that was long ago. I also don't recall a time-delay on the lights, but might not have had that option.

I recall a similar-looking component as #1 in my 64 Valiant. I suspect it has to do w/ the powered convertible top, perhaps an over-current breaker. That wire harness was pretty hacked by gomers.

As far as I know, nobody is getting paid to dispense advice here. I'm certainly not. I make a lot of technical Youtube videos, and I didn't start getting "paid" for it until I became a partner. I do it mainly because I like to help, to interact with other people and most of all become famous:D

Point is, nobody wants to be harangued when they ask a question. If you participate on a public, free forum, you have to accept that people are going to ask the same questions over and over again without searching. If it's annoying to the point of distraction, maybe it's time for either a break or medication. Not every person that visits this board has a Kreskin-like recollection of all the websites possessing nuggets of Mopar knowledge.

PS this was not a harangue, this was a lecture:cheers:

As far as I know, nobody is getting paid to dispense advice here. I'm certainly not. I make a lot of technical Youtube videos, and I didn't start getting "paid" for it until I became a partner. I do it mainly because I like to help, to interact with other people and most of all become famous:D

Point is, nobody wants to be harangued when they ask a question. If you participate on a public, free forum, you have to accept that people are going to ask the same questions over and over again without searching. If it's annoying to the point of distraction, maybe it's time for either a break or medication. Not every person that visits this board has a Kreskin-like recollection of all the websites possessing nuggets of Mopar knowledge.

PS this was not a harangue, this was a lecture:cheers:

No "Tyler" your haranguing, lecturing, ranting does not compute. MY point is since nobody is paying me for answers, this means "I get to answer questions any way I choose." What I'm trying to do here, is to encourage people to learn a little bit, so that if their old girl dies a smoking puking death on the freeway some dark night, and maybe in a dark part of the night, they might have some idea of what to do besides stand there and wave their arms and jump up and down.

And JUST maybe, some of it might rub off, so that after people like me die, "a few" of the youngsters will remember how and where to look up answers.

Here's what I'm trying to say to you, "Tyler." Screw off. Only, you and I both know, that is not what I "said."

This is beginning to sound like a republican debate! A simple question was asked? Answer it or watch CNN!

Well despite all the angst, I appreciate the thoughts. I dug out my service manual and tried to track down everything through the electrical schematics. Despite the haranguing/lecturing, I checked the various wire colors and it appears that Tyler W was probably right on all three accounts. Thanks.

Seems to me too damn many threads turn out like this. Maybe everyone should quit asking questions and buy a damn shop manual. Is that the message we want to send? Almost sounds like it. Maybe everyone dont have a 200 iq. I know i,ve read a lot of **** in my life and didnt understand it.

I asked the question and I have the shop manual, but I always like to ask anyway just to verify what I thought I might have seen, especially when it comes to electrical schematics.

They don't devolve until one person causes it to happen, and it should be obvious to anyone that reads the electrical threads who that is.

I'm going to stop responding to the provocateur in the name of keeping topics on track, but we'll see how well that brand of arrogance works out in the long run.

To the OP, glad you got it figured out. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here, enjoy!

No "Tyler" your haranguing, lecturing, ranting does not compute. MY point is since nobody is paying me for answers, this means "I get to answer questions any way I choose." What I'm trying to do here, is to encourage people to learn a little bit, so that if their old girl dies a smoking puking death on the freeway some dark night, and maybe in a dark part of the night, they might have some idea of what to do besides stand there and wave their arms and jump up and down.

And JUST maybe, some of it might rub off, so that after people like me die, "a few" of the youngsters will remember how and where to look up answers.

Here's what I'm trying to say to you, "Tyler." Screw off. Only, you and I both know, that is not what I "said."

Well good luck "67Dart273". You spend your days trying to yell it into them if you want. You may have a good message but you have a terrible delivery. Oh well, they'll ignore you and listen to those who are calm and pleasant to be around.

PS, I don't have to guess at what you "said". Based on everything else spouted off I'm sure it was "something" "just" "as" "classy".

-
Back