what brake flare tool should i buy

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
so i am doing a full disk setup on my 1964 dodge dart. i am going to buy a master cylinder from doctor diff. it looks like i may need to make all new brake lines. i want a clean look although the car is not a show car. i plan on using these tools a few times as i am also building another dart. i have never used a flaring tool and have been looking at eastwoods. i like the idea of being able to make more then just brake lines. does any one have a preference?

I would start with Craigslist and pawn shops. Find an old retiring HVAC guy. You want old school brand names. Imperial, Weatherhead, KD tool, Lisle, like that. I've forgotten quite a few.

You will need the double flare adapters, and if they "don't" you should be able to order them from any decent parts store or hydraulic hose shop

Most of 'em look like this. You must not flare directly after cutting. Rather, ream the end, and carefully file the end of the tube FLAT, then flare

flaring_93fb.gif

A Lisle with destructions

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=168

Make sure it's for 45* which it probably will be. Make sure it's NOT for 37* which is JIC / AN rather than common SAE brass / brake (inverted flare)

The one like eastwood sells is a pretty nice deal. Extremely hard to screw up. There are several brands of them which work like that. Doesn't hurt to look around.

The autozone double flare tool works good

The harbor freight one works fine for me, plus if you don't like it return it. Buy the better brake line I think dark green in color easier to bend and flare plus a better protective coating.

If you're planning on stainless brake lines, get a good quality tool. I had a cheesy POS and couldn't flare one to save my life. Dropped a couple coins for a good one, flares went rather easy. Just practice a few flares and you're good to go.

I have the OTC 4503 flare tool and it works fine. Did my complete transmission and cooler hard lines and fuel fittings. It was $35. I also purchased the Robinair 18548 4 in 1 tubing bender. Came highly recommended on several sites and puts tight bends into tubing while keeping it round.

Have an Eastwood, worth the money

The Eastwood part #25304 hands down best, flawless everytime able to make just about any flare imaginable single/double with pro results. If you make a lot of lines this is your Huckleberry.

Get a quality professional one like Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc.

The generic ones tend to slip when trying to flare, the professional ones don't...

Also, don't go stainless if flaring yourself, it's much harder to flare by hand....

I bought my Snap On double flaring tool about 30 years ago. It still works just fine and I have used the ever livin heck out of it.

I bought my Snap On double flaring tool about 30 years ago. It still works just fine and I have used the ever livin heck out of it.

I've broken many el-cheapo flaring tools, but still have my snap-on and mac flaring tools and they give me much less problems...

This is not the tool to be cheap on...

it. Buy the better brake line I think dark green in color easier to bend and flare plus a better protective coating.

Copper/nickel, well worth the money. Get a 25' roll with an assortment of fittings for around 35 or so.

I've broken many el-cheapo flaring tools, but still have my snap-on and mac flaring tools and they give me much less problems...

This is not the tool to be cheap on...

"Jegs" has a cheap one that worked excellent for me. remember to debur !

Get one that also does bubble flares it will come in handy if you ever need to make a repair on cars with bubble flare lines .I agree don't skimp on this tool.Ive bought the cheapo kits and they are not that great.

I did bubble flares with a cheapie HF kit on my 03 Dakota. There is a YouTube video showing how, it worked great to my surprise.

I've had the same KD Tool flaring set in my box for 40 years. Still works like new. Make sure to get a good bending tool for tight turns. Most aftermarket lines, either straight or in a roll have a higher soft metal content and are easy to bend by hand, exempt for very tight bends. I often will buy lines already flared in whatever length, then cut one end down to suit my needs and reflare. This also allows for different size nuts on each end of the same line. Or even reuse original odd end flare nuts.

I have NAPA 2199 (Easco, K-D Tools). Insure you get a "double-flare" kit. I have only flared factory steel tubes, and works fine. Some tubing was from newer cars w/ bubble flares (I cut-off), but the 6 mmD (?) works for our 3/16" tubing. Some here mention a better tubing material (nickel alloy) that bends and flares easier. Stainless is harder than regular steel.

BTW, you can make the newer "bubble flares" w/ a standard "double flare" tool. See youtube videos. The trick is to use the flat side of the tube holder and don't do the 2nd step w/ the cone.

wow thanks for all the responses. lots of help for sure. I will look into some of these others as well.

-
Back