what brand of battery do you run?

-
Post #13 battery shut off switch, that and a battery Tender Jr.
That will make batteries last for years.
Moroso make a simple dial battery terminal shut off switch, just twist the knob for $15, battery Tender Jr is about $35 at most motorcycle shops and part stores, they come with a plug in and alligator clips to charge the battery.

Cheapo $30 rebuilds. run 'em until they croak. Maintenance free still have big common caps dont they? Everytime you drain a car battery you knock 10% off its cranking power (old timers advice) Why cant you rebuild your batteries? Buy the plates and acid and charge them....? The Optima batteries take a special charge procedure. IF they are dead, they wont change. Put another battery in parallel with it and itll start to take a charge again. charger will see it as one big battery, charge to 10.5V then charge optima alone. HF battery tender is like $9 on sale.

The battery in my Duster died a few months ago, I did some research and was almost gonna buy an Interstate but I found out those are still also made by Johnson Controls which is the same manufacturer for pretty much all the "parts store" and Walmart batteries. Knowing this I just went with the cheapest 5-year warranted one which is the Wally World brand. Someday I might try a fancy Optima but I kinda agree with RustyRatRod the lead-acid battery has been proven a solid design for most all applications since the first cars were ever built.

The battery in my Duster died a few months ago, I did some research and was almost gonna buy an Interstate but I found out those are still also made by Johnson Controls which is the same manufacturer for pretty much all the "parts store" and Walmart batteries. Knowing this I just went with the cheapest 5-year warranted one which is the Wally World brand. Someday I might try a fancy Optima but I kinda agree with RustyRatRod the lead-acid battery has been proven a solid design for most all applications since the first cars were ever built.
Some body. paid attention ..

Check junk yards. Mine has a table of "decent" batteries. They are all $30 and I saw a yellow top there once...on the way out. Those batteries last a long time. The website shows them charging a 19 year old dead one to pass the load tester test. Didnt drop under 10.5V onder 400A load.

I have run Die Hard in the past, but I don't like the "new" way they are going about it.

They used to guarantee the Gold Die Hard for 3 years full replacement, and up to 7 years pro rated. Now you only get 3 year pro rated....

and it seems today's batteries won't come back after they have been drained all the way. Even on a slow charge, nothing....

I have run Die Hard in the past, but I don't like the "new" way they are going about it.

They used to guarantee the Gold Die Hard for 3 years full replacement, and up to 7 years pro rated. Now you only get 3 year pro rated....

and it seems today's batteries won't come back after they have been drained all the way. Even on a slow charge, nothing....

Interesting! I went out to start my quadcab to go to church last nite, "click" 4-5 yr old battery dead. was a wally world 7 yr deal that they have quit making, and waranting. optima went thru a stage around here where they almost weren`t worth carrying home, never got longer than 3-3 to 3 1/2 yrs. out of an interstate, even got a buddy that sells them. are the mopar batteries sealed batteries ? i like the idea of a sealed battery when it`s in the trunk, it doesn`t have to be in a box, if the rear firewall is sealed.

Interesting! I went out to start my quadcab to go to church last nite, "click" 4-5 yr old battery dead. was a wally world 7 yr deal that they have quit making, and waranting. optima went thru a stage around here where they almost weren`t worth carrying home, never got longer than 3-3 to 3 1/2 yrs. out of an interstate, even got a buddy that sells them. are the mopar batteries sealed batteries ? i like the idea of a sealed battery when it`s in the trunk, it doesn`t have to be in a box, if the rear firewall is sealed.

We used to sell interstate batteries at the 10 min oil change place we worked at when we were kids. The dam things used to go bad just sitting on our shelf.... :banghead:

Sealed batteries are ok for the trunk, but I would prefer one that I could top off for long term. That way you could keep the electrolite level up to keep it going. :D

I used to get 7 years out of the old 5 year Die Hards. Not anymore.... :???:

i bought a brand new optima it lasted 2 weeks a total waste of time and money....i now run a duralast gold it cranks everytime

I hear that went through 2 Optima pieces of ****..now using and Exide cars sits all winter cranks right over no battery tender needed:D:D

Something I learned years ago, is the difference between a 36 month, 48 month, and 60 month battery is the LABEL. What you are paying for when you get the 60 month battery is the warrantee. It is the same battery as the others.

This does not include the deep cycle batteries, they are made different, with thicker plates and lower CCA's

Something I learned years ago, is the difference between a 36 month, 48 month, and 60 month battery is the LABEL. What you are paying for when you get the 60 month battery is the warrantee. It is the same battery as the others.

This does not include the deep cycle batteries, they are made different, with thicker plates and lower CCA's

this not used to be true weigh them..........

Over all I've had good luck with several different brands.
Sears
Wallys
My '08 Glastron still has the original National and a Blue Optima I use for trolling.
The one I did have a problem with Advance Auto Gold in the Sebring.
On purchase they wouldn't install it (going against their ad) since it's in the well. It was nice of them to discount the battery further. So I went with the deal and installed it. 13 months later it wouldn't hold a charge and was junk. Advance did provide a new one so I got to honor of installing that one too. Damn, got to get a lift one of these days. (Now that's one for the procrastination thread!) So far so good on the second battery coming up on 1 year.

Duralast Gold. Take 10% off for a veterans discount at every Auto Zone and I don't need to look anywhere else.

The Duralast Gold just went bad in my Ranger truck. The sticker on the side says 05/10. Wouldn't you know it, a 60 month battery! Now I have 4 Duralast batteries on the shelf! Time to try something else.

I bought one of the NAPA batteries with a 5 year guarantee. It's going on 7 years. I use a Battery Tender when I'm not regularly driving the car.

I bought one of the NAPA batteries with a 5 year guarantee. It's going on 7 years. I use a Battery Tender when I'm not regularly driving the car.

I bought a battery from oriellys for the barracuda shortly after I bought the one that just died in the truck. alternated them for a while because the barracuda was a project,and I needed a battery to rewire it. thinking about going back for another one.

Advance auto gives hugh discounts on optima or other batterys if it was in store 6 months or longer. I bought a blue optima for my trailer winch about a year ago for 49 bucks.

had decent luck with interstate. used to get the ones that sat on shelf too long at discount until the store changed hands.

I buy rebuilt/reconditioned ones for $30-40/ just a crap shoot buying any battery. the warranty? Ha!
prorated BS, cheaper to get a new one!
than there prorated price.....

-
Back