what cam?

-

Reaction score
i'm doing some changes over the winter. one of the changes i was going for was heads but a recent '' cash diversion'' has taken place [ from spending on car to spending on sled] but i'm not willing to give up totally. my plan is some tti headers [from beat to **** headman] and x pipe and a cam change. here is my setup

75 dart sport, power brakes,power steering
727 2800 stall
391's
360 .20 over, balanced
smogger [1978] heads with mild pocket porting and 188 valves
750 speed demon
mallory ignition box/ rev limiter
9.5:1
mechanical rockers
crane cam grind# hmv-278-2
intake lift .467 dur-278
ex lift .494 dur-290
looking at the paperwork i have at least .048 before bind
what cam do i want [damn thing idles at 600 rpm and does'nt stall at the lights[crazy eh!]

First, measure your springs, I'll bet you can take more lift. Second, that ain't a half bad street cam. An XE268 is a more modern grind with a similar power curve. The XE274 would be my pick (unless a dead smooth idle is a must have). Either way, you'll probably want to swap springs and perhaps go to a lighter spring retainer.

i want lumpy idle!!!

there are only two springs that are .048 before bind, the rest are .055 and up [going from paperwork] .

I'm sold on the Lunati voodoo series of cams,for your setup i'd go with the part # lun-60403lk,this cam will give you .494/.513 lift,and worked very well in my stroker when i first put it together...

with a 513 lift, will i have to worry about killing the bottom end to much?

with a 513 lift, will i have to worry about killing the bottom end to much?
Actually it's not the lift that'll kill the bottom end so much as the duration. That Lunati should have good bottom end since the duration is only 226/234 at .050. Your only problem with going with a much bigger cam is the power brakes. I had a 274XE in my 360 and it only pulled 10 inches of vacuum. Luckily I don't have PB cause that's not enough to make them work right. I'd guess if you want your PB to work right you better stay with a 268XE or Lunati 60403. But neither of them are actually much bigger than what you have now so you may not notice a big difference.

You cannot have a lumpy idle, and working power brakes. If you ditch the brakes (I would...) then you can do more. That crane is a great street piece. I dont think the XE268 will be as good. But, without brakes, the XE274H would be a step up IMO.

I can tell you I have the MP .557 cam in the 440 in my 63 and my stock power brakes still work fine. Ron

Either a CompXE or better yet IMO a Comp XE hi-lift or a look at a Huges cam to replace the carne. Not more than 8* extra in duration.

Call Comp or Huges for a suggestion in a step up in cam vs. the Crane.
A chopy idle comes from a tighter centerline and it will effect power brakes.

-
Back