What can I do to make my 318 faster

-

UBNOXS1

Reaction score
Hello So I still thinking if I want to get a 360 or keep the 318. But I dont have the money for the 360 at the min and that fact I can blow the doors other cars with a 318 would be nice.

a good inexpensive start would be a 340 cam performer intake with 600 cfm carb and headers
This setups supposed to really wake up the little 318 and most of it can be found at swap meets and craigslist for cheap.
I beat the living snot out of a 318 all through high school with a bunch of used swap meet parts.
Just remember he right gears make a huge difference no matter what you build. If you really want to have fun and don't need to get on the freeway too often, drop in a set of 3:91s or 4:10s and let the games begin LOL

Agreed! Other things that the 318 going fast start to cost money and there a bit expensive if you wanna do it right and done well.

Things like'

Gear ratio change .... and boy that helps!
Hi-stall converter ... off the line help
light weight parts .. all around help.

Engine upgrades after bolt on parts and a cam;

head work which would include;

head milling, (Not much required)
up grade in valves and sizes, bowl porting

By the time you get into doing it, the 360 may be a better venue to travel.

You REALLY should check out the "best 273 and 318 builds" thread, there are tons of good ideas there.
A good cheap one is swapping heads. Even wrecking yard heads can offer HUGE gains. the easiest is just dropping some used stock 360 heads on it along with some used headers and a 4bbl carb. The open chamber heads KILL your compression, but the flow improvement, along with the headers and carb can put you at an honest 300hp which is plenty enough to have a tire boiling good time in any a-body.

I installed a comp he268h cam, 340 dual plane intake, thermoquad card (I know why not a holley) and a set of 1 3/4" headers. Woke that 318 right up. Doing a rear end swap right now form 2.76 open to 3.55 suregrip.

You should begin by telling us what you have now. For all we know, you have an alcohol injected nitro burning 318 and want to improve on it. In order for us to advise you on making your 318 "faster" it would help us if we knew how fast it is now.

If your not looking to spend much stick with the 318 and get out to your local swap meets. If you want to spend more go with the 360. Its as easy as that!

Also if you decide to swap to a 360 you can swap over your bolt ons.

-
Back