What carbie for my 340

-

Monaro

Reaction score
The saga continues. I have replaced std. manifolf with a air gap alloy manifold. Due to other factors I am thinking of replacing Carter with a Holley 600, however some are advising me to get a larger Holley 700-750, other are telling me that Holleys are crap. Can I get input, it is a std. 340.
Cheers,
Monaro

There is only one carb that was designed to be run on a 340................

009-8.jpg

I run a holley 770 street avenger and couldnt be happier, out of the box almost perfect just a accelerator pump squirter change.

The saga continues. I have replaced std. manifolf with a air gap alloy manifold. Due to other factors I am thinking of replacing Carter with a Holley 600, however some are advising me to get a larger Holley 700-750, other are telling me that Holleys are crap. Can I get input, it is a std. 340.
Cheers,
Monaro

Holleys are not crap if you know how to set them up. Use what you are comfortable with.

I like the Holley List # 80457. It is a 600 vacuum secondary carb (square bore) with electric choke and calibrated for a late 60's v-8. Available at Mancini Racing for $285 (about the same price as the edlebrock carb).

Then get the vacuum secondary spring assortment and put in the short yellow spring so the secondaries open fully before 6000 rpm. Be sure to adjust the accelerator pump before installing also.

I've run this carb on daily drivers in the winter and they start up right away in the middle of winter (10°-30°F average). If the choke is set up and hooked up to proper voltage, you just start the car, wait for oil pressure, then put it in gear and go. No stalling included. Also got 17.75 MPG on 318 with 4bbl in 68 cuda.

Like I said, it's what you're comfortable with. I used to hate them. Then with a little experience, I love them.

What trans, converter and rear gear do you have? Is the orig. AVS just worn out and you want a replacement or are you looking for more power? If i assume the car/engine is stock, with a 3.23 gear, then a 650 Eddy Thunder series would be all you would need....basically a bolt on.

-
Back