What caused this push rod wear?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
We are working on a 2005 Impala, replacing the intake gasket as is common on all 3.4l engines. We noticed the #3 and #6 intake push rods have the chrome rubbed off and are slightly pointy on top. The rockers look good with no unusual wear, so I went with a couple lifters as well thinking that they aren't pumping enough oil through the push rod. Hydraulic roller lifters by the way. These are $19 each. Why are my Comp Cam roller lifters for my 408 $680 a set? What do you think? What caused the wear? We put in the two lifters and push rods and it runs normally and is nice and quiet.

View attachment PUSH ROD.jpg

View attachment PUSH ROD 1.jpg

Oil delivery issue?
Over tightened rocker arm?

I went with a couple lifters as well thinking that they aren't pumping enough oil through the push rod. Hydraulic roller lifters by the way. These are $19 each. Why are my Comp Cam roller lifters for my 408 $680 a set?

maybe the difference in price is a hint on what caused the wear on them pushrods?

Yeah, but why only two? I agree with the oil delivery issue. The push rods themselves were clear. That's why we also replaced the lifters. 88,000 miles on this 3.4.

If that is on the rocker end, and in fact, the rockers looked ok, Id say break-in. It may have happened fairly soon after the car left the factory.If you didnt change the rockers, the new pushrods will likely look just like that, soon.
If, on the other hand, you had said the rockers were worn similarly, different story, different answer.
Since the lifter end was ok......

I've replaced dozens thru the years,, found it was generally the rocker end, usually replaced the rocker/s too..

-
Back