What caused this

-
If you didn't use new lifters when you went with the new cam, there's your problem.

When you go through it make absolutely sure the lifters rotate freely when you install them. If there's any binding they won't rotate and will fail quickly. Only use break-in lube on the lifter face where it contacts the cam lobe and drown the cam lobes with lube.

I think it was a combination of oil, additive, just bad luck was your problem.
Well,thanks I agree because other than a few. Burnouts in front of the house
I think it was a combination of oil, additive, just bad luck was your problem.
is
Screenshot952017-08-12-17-06-15.png

You absolutely have to put a zinc additive in your oil these days. Or buy oil that already has it. No regular motor oil has enough ZDDP (zinc) in it to properly lubricate flat tappet camshafts & lifters.
Actually there are quite a few oils that have enough ZDDP in them; you just have to do your home work to see which ones. In the olden days, the ZDDP levels were in the 1300-1500 PPM range. That got reduced to 1200 PPM and cams were not being lost. Then the ZDDP levels were reduced to 900 PPM's for one of the recent service grades, and that is when the problems started.

Those 900 PPM reduced levels are for generally found in the the lighter grade oils, 30W straight and multi-grade, and lower. If the service code is SN, then you have a newer, low ZDDP level oil.

Actually there are quite a few oils that have enough ZDDP in them; you just have to do your home work to see which ones. In the olden days, the ZDDP levels were in the 1300-1500 PPM range. That got reduced to 1200 PPM and cams were not being lost. Then the ZDDP levels were reduced to 900 PPM's for one of the recent service grades, and that is when the problems started.

Those 900 PPM reduced levels are for generally found in the the lighter grade oils, 30W straight and multi-grade, and lower. If the service code is SN, then you have a newer, low ZDDP level oil.

That's why I said "regular motor oil". I think for most of us, that means the readily available stuff. You know, walk into WalMart and grab the Castrol GTX 20W-50 that's on sale (for example). Even that oil, which most would consider "high-performance" is API SN. Yes there are special oils containing more ZDDP. I think I said that too.
:wtf:

Ah, I see.... 'regular'. I just did not want people to think there were not 'readily' available oils that have adequate ZDDP. 'readily' means it can be gotten without too much effort.... uh oh, I guess I need to define 'too much'.... LOL

Now you have me thinking to look and see what one COULD get off the shelf that has adequate ZDDP levels. Research for another day.....

Curious too why the MP was pulled.
Every installer needs to verify lifter rotation during assembly, plus a break in paste such as Crane's should be on the lobes and lifter faces, plus the engine should only be turned over to attach the flex plate to the convertor, and to start it. If you crank for oil pressure, and crank for fuel pressure, and crank to set the distributor you are asking for a failure these days.

-
Back