What color behind grill?

-

rick4106

Reaction score
We painted my sons 67 dart white. What color for the radiator support white or black? If black what color black satin semi gloss?

The procedure done at the factory level was to black it out, although most times very hastily done. I believe I used a 20% flatted black paint to knock out any glossy appearance, not gloss or semigloss, it would be too shiny. I also painted all of the grille supports and anything you can see through the grille. I didn't do this at first and had a couple of those components body color...they stuck out like a sore thumb!!! I also had 3 different grille centers painted... one the correct black, one body color and one body color with the stripes that continued through the fins. The body color centers just looked so out of place and the black one looked so right that I opted for the correct application. Hope this helps, Geof

This came up before and the concensus was that dark color cars sometimes got the body paint behind the grill but all light vehicles got flat black. Saw a Red 67 Dart with red behind the grill ands it was very noticeable, made the chrome grill look like chickenwire.

I see a lot of "pro" builds that have the body color behind the grille, along with polished radiators and little chromey things. It totally washes out the grille. I always thought the grille was one of the defining features of any paticular car and should stand out on it's own.

Like this? Too distracting...that goes for the models too.
4-11.jpg

This is the Valiant owned by Mopar Muscle Magazine. I personally don't like the look of the body colored radiator support. It needs to be flat black behind the grille and under the bumper. Very distracting.

Attachments

• 0510_01z+1967_Plymouth_Valiant+White_Body_Driver_Side_Front_View.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 225
Pishta is correct.
Black and dark blue cars did not get any black paint around the radiator.
All other colors got the body color hidden by flat black paint.

dupli-color DE1634 Chrysler/GM low gloss is the lowest sheen ceramic high heat paint that is in my opinion a bit better since it will resist oil, atf, etc., and less chance of "chalking" over time. Or the the DA1605 flat black if you go that route.

go flatblack, you´ll like it as i do, i´m very happy with that colorcombination on my ´69 dart

enginebayassembly.jpg

ready7.jpg

-
Back