what color locktite for intake studs

-

Rudy`s Ride

Reaction score
I picked up a used eddy air gap and am going to use studs for the carb and thermostat housing. I read to locktite them in so they don`t come out when I want to make changes. Is the blue good enough? I am a little scared to use red as I hate to f up the threads later if the studs do need to come out. Any advice or opinions out there?
Thanks Mike

As stated, blue is good. For future reference if you use red and need to take it apart, heat it with a torch CAREFULLY! You only need 400 degrees to soften the bond.

Good luck.

Why would they need that? Once tightened properly, they will not back out. I have never used locktite on those. I think the first carburetor I installed was around 1977.

Why would they need that? Once tightened properly, they will not back out. I have never used locktite on those. I think the first carburetor I installed was around 1977.

Thought he was asking about studs for intake to heads, and was thinking "Why would anyone need or want to do that?" :D

I am using studs for the 4 carb mounting bolts and the 2 thermostat bolts. I want to use studs because I am forever making changes and don`t want to run the risk of fuckin up threads in the aluminum. I will use blue locktite.
Thanks.

I've never used any locktite on those, and can't recall a stud ever coming out. I'm not as salty as some of these guys, but been doing it since the early 90s.

I am using studs for the 4 carb mounting bolts and the 2 thermostat bolts. I want to use studs because I am forever making changes and don`t want to run the risk of fuckin up threads in the aluminum. I will use blue locktite.
Thanks.

These Guys dont seem to understand race conditions, where Carbs are continually removed.

Here's a best kept Secret: JB WELD.
DO NOT USE the quik weld version.
Far exceeds the overprice Blue ****.

I use it religiously on my Torque Converter to Flex plate Bolts also
If you need to get them off, just 15 secs with a torch eases them up.

If you turn the bolt after it has hardened, you must reapply.
:angryfir:

Now let's hear from the PentaStar Pussies who ***** about everything on this website. :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga:

Tightened properly, 95% of all fasteners will never need loctite.

It is used more in contingency cases than anything. 20 most important fasteners on the car are the lug nuts, and they never get loctite.

Carbstuds get anti seize and thats it. Never a problem.

I never use locktite on anything that goes into aluminum.

If them coming loose worries you then use lock washers under the nuts

-
Back