What did I buy?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So, I picked up a 360 for my '76 Dart Sport('72 Demon clone) which is currently a slant/3 by the knee car. I wasnt really looking for a v8 and had intended on just building up a spare 225 I had an sticking a 4spd od behind it.

Then a local oldskool Mopar guy(Wayne Bowden) mentioned he had a complete 360 hed sell me. So I inquired more info and found that it had been rebuilt and only had around 5000 miles on it when it was pulled out. It was in a 70s era Dodge Vanbulance that was being used as a tow vehicle to pull a restored Dart to and from shows. I was told the motor was built as a torque motor. The specs, as best he could remember are as follows.
1970 coded 360 block bored .040 over
.040 over Hypreutic flat top pistons 9.5:1cr
New rings, bearings, mopar head gaskets, etc.
Jheads with new seats, guides, stainless valves(not sure on size), rockers, pushrods, lifters, double roller chain
New mystery cam(he thinks its a Comp 268 )
Edlebrock Performer intake mani with Holley 650 carb
stock 360 exhaust manifolds
Mopar Performance dizzy
electronic ignition
Accel wires and a MSD coil

The question is...

1.What do you think its good for hp and tq?
2.What should I change before I drop it in my Demon?
3.Was $600 a good deal on the engine?

Oh, and to go behind the Demon I have an early A833 to put in and am currently in the market for a suitable rearend. My goal is a fun driver that I can put some miles on and take to the track occasionally. Id like to run upper 12s to low 13s on pump gas.

First off, it probably ain't got 9.5:1 unless it has the KB107s in it. BUT, since it IS a 71 model 360 (even though date coded 70, it's a 71 year engine), it DID come with higher compression than any other 360. Question is, are the replacement pistons correct for it? If not, then it probably has lower than stock compression. Really.....all this is conjecture unless you tear it down and SEE what's in it. If it really does have 9.5 it'll be an honest 350 plus HP. Nice find either way, since it is probably a thick wall casting. Yes, 600 bucks was probably a good deal. Since it's out, it wouldn't take much to yank the heads and just see. You'd know first hand then. Plus, you could put the thin head gaskets back on it. Just a thought.

Sounds like a great motor for your Demon. The 360's have lots of torque and this one should pull stumps. You can keep a street friendly rear gear and still have enough power to smoke the tires. You will need a solid transmission and stronger rear end. The price was very reasonable too.. The J heads are worth $600.. You may make it to the 12's with the right combo. tmm

you did pretty good for a running 360. i bought a moderate 318 a few years back for $650, got me into the low 14's and i think i resold that engine for a grand.
I will say remember to be realistic about the never ending quest for the 30mpg daily driver that runs 12's.
350 (?) horse is going to struggle to see 12's without a hell of a converter and gear set...both of which make it less streetable. plus being sold to you as a "torque" towing engine, could be his way of telling you it's out of RPM at 4500. not really going to light up the quarter mile with a comp 268 they rate to 5100 RPM.

you'll just gave to get it in the car and see how it acts/revs unless you are doing a tear down. good luck and good find!

"I will say remember to be realistic about the never ending quest for the 30mpg daily driver that runs 12's." Im not remotely expecting 30mpgs! I'll be happy with 15mpg!

What would you guys suggest cam wise vs the 268?

If it's an XE268, keep it. Find and A833OD for it rather than the sid A833. That will give you acceleration and mileage. The engine sounds fine, just replace the manifolds with headers and make sure you can launch it.

Before you do anything, I would verify what's there. If you're thinking of a recam, there's the intake, valve covers and timing cover off right there. Doesn't take much more for the heads. At least that way, you'd know what you have and you could matche parts up better.

300 hp. @ 4500 rpm and 400 lb/ft @ 3500 rpm with headers.

"Find and A833OD for it rather than the sid A833. That will give you acceleration and mileage."

I heard that the OD trans wasnt as tough amd shouldnt be used behind a V8? Ive got a 833od out of a late 70s slant6 truck, as well as an A833 out of a '64 Dart GT which has the steeper 1st gear(3.09 vs 2.44-2.66) than the later non od 4spds. And performance is more important to me than economy. Thats why Im pulling the 6 for a 360.

Also, what does a 360 .040 over end up being in inches?

And I think I will pull the top end to see whats in it.

"Find and A833OD for it rather than the sid A833. That will give you acceleration and mileage."

I heard that the OD trans wasnt as tough amd shouldnt be used behind a V8?

No, no. They hold up at that HP level fine.

Ive got a 833od out of a late 70s slant6 truck, as well as an A833 out of a '64 Dart GT which has the steeper 1st gear(3.09 vs 2.44-2.66) than the later non od 4spds. And performance is more important to me than economy. Thats why Im pulling the 6 for a 360.

You do know that 833 out of the 64 is not an OD and it also will not have a slip yoke tail shaft if it is a 64 model.

Also, what does a 360 .040 over end up being in inches?

And I think I will pull the top end to see whats in it.

Im aware the early A833 trans is not an OD(but it does have the 3.08 first gear like the OD), and yes it has the funky early tail shaft housing(along with the early speedo cable hold down setup), which would have to be changed. It was only $200 for the trans and came with the original Hurst shifter and knob, so I had to pick it up.

The OD trans is out of a slant6 truck, and I was intending on putting it behind the slant for extra mpgs, then the 360 showed up. That was another good deal at $150 for the complete trans assembly.

Im actually starting to consider saving the 4spd and 360 for a 64-66 Abody. I was looking for an early Barracuda or Dart GT when I came across the Demon clone. I enjoy the Demon but Id rather sink the time and money involved in a swap into a car that I intend on keeping long term.

-
Back