What Did You Get To Do Growing Up That Your Kids Will Never Be Able To?

-
winston, that first part might be true (and all too common these days) but it's pretty offensive. This is a family site after all.

Taking the auto shop teacher's car,beating on it . With his permission.(Gotta learn,about power circuits somehow...).How often,does a 74 four door Buick Electra,get pulled over?.

Im only 19 and I have done 40-50% of the stuff listed here.

Times haven't changed as much as you all think.

- going to the music shop and stay there for hours...
- playing soccer at the street
- travelling with the airplane without 2 hours check at the gate
- doing sightseeing in a town without seeing a McDonalds or Burger King
- listen music from a ghettoblaster and running every 2 hours for buying 8 monocell batteries
- going to a shop to buy a package of Marlboro - and the clerk doesn´t asks "Light, medium, red, silver, 100er, menthol, natural, ... ?"
- riding bicycle without stupid dresses and helmets
- putting cards or icecreamsticks into the spokes of a bike...

I'm guessing... get stung by a bee given how many are dying.

I don't know if this topic has ever been done before but I thought it would be fun for us "experienced" guys to list some things that we were able to do while growing up that our kids, most likely, will never have the opportunity to do. This will show our younger FABO members just how much the world has changed - and probably not for the better.
I'll start off with some things that come to mind. I know there will be more.
Oh, and I grew up in SoCal just east of Los Angeles, not out in the country somewhere.

* Sit on my dad's lap and steer the car while he works the pedals
* Go to sleep on the package tray staring out through the rear window at all the stars while my parents drove on an all-night vacation drive
* Walk to the movies with my friends and spend most all of Saturday at the matinee - cartoons and two full-length movies, probably westerns
* Ride in the bed of a pickup truck with my friends while one of their dads drove us somewhere
* Take off on my bicycle right after breakfast during the summer and go anywhere we wanted with my friends and not have to check in with our parents - as long as we were home before the street lights went on at night
* Dial a rotary telephone
* Sneak into the drive-in movie in the trunk of a friends car

OK, that's just a couple. Let's hear from the rest of you.....

Build and race wooden coaster karts down the street we lived on. It was on a hill. Babycarriage wheels, axles and clothesline rope steering, only brakes were the heels of your shoes lol.

Play whiffle ball or stick ball in the street. We painted bases on the street lol.

Playing manhunt. Its like playing hide n go seek but with teams.

Catching fireflys, i dont ever see them anymore.

never wearing seatbelts. my dad thought they were a nusance, he used to cut em out of every car we owned till it became law to wear them LOL

That reminds me... Ride a go kart or mini bike around the neighborhood.

Well, I'll probably do that with my son anyway, but it's not like the old days where for the most part the cops would look the other way.

Eat Halloween goodies, often homemade, without worrying what might be stuck inside.
Stand at attention (I was a Cub Scout) while JFK's motorcade drove by.
Buy candy bars for 5 cents.
Watch a movie at a single screen theater for 10 cents.
Pump gas at 29 cents a gallon.
Crank start our family's Hillman.
Most of today's kid's won't know what a 'three on the tree' is, let alone know where to find one.

Glenn

Making a phone call and checking to make sure no one else was on the party line. Going to the gas station to get free air for a tire! I didn't have to sneak into a drive in 'cause all I had to do was drive up to the window and say, "HI MA" and drive right on in!!! Go outside and play "Combat", remember that show? complete with shooting at each other with sticks in place of guns.

Fetch water, drinking water out of a ladle, deliver over 300 piglets and cut there teeth, tail and there sacks, enjoying working side by side with your mom and grandmother all day as I prayed for rain :D thus why I said enjoy a rainy day in my earlier post :D

X3 Leanna..

Drive In movies are long gone in this area.

Vinyl records were the thing when I was growing up and that was followed by the cassette.

Gas was at 18.9 cents a gallon.

Buy cars that are all metal.

Buying toys that weren't mostly plastic.

Having a total of 3 channels on television.

Talking on a party line telephone.

Buying a brand new car for less than $3000.

Buying really really nice Road Runners, Chargers, Super Bees etc.. for $300 or less any day you looked.

7 year old playing dominoes with the old guys at one of the local bars.

Riding your bicycle any direction you wanted without having to check in or telling where you were going that day.

we still have a drive in theatre in Abilene TX, its called the town and country drive in. they have a website too. my wife and i dated and used to take my pickup there with a blow up mattress in the back. i actually never got to see the green lantern that one night LOL, now we take the kids in the suburban. you tune in the audio thru your car stereo now, no speaker to hang on your window.

Going out for $.15 burgers at McDonalds.
Picking up hitchhikers without worrying about getting robbed or worse.
Paying for a new car at $99 per month for only three years!

Going out for $.15 burgers at McDonalds.
Picking up hitchhikers without worrying about getting robbed or worse.
Paying for a new car at $99 per month for only three years!

Paying for a new car at $36.00 a month for 3 years! (1971 Dart Swinger, gold, black vinyl roof, cream color vinyl interior, /6, 904, a/c, auto, ps/pb, rear defog, remote mirror, pass mirror, map light, deluxe steering wheel, rally wheels (dealer installed option), am/fm radio. Mono with front and rear speakers. lol

Remember the clicker TV remotes...I used to get yelled at for twirling my keys and change the channel with the noise they made....
Collecting coke bottles to ride my mini bike all day (5 cent each and 25 cent for a gallon of gas)
Making prank phone call before caller id.
Playing spin the the bottle....

great thread, reminds me of the good ol days, never repeated and forever gone.
I could have grown up with anyone of you, I sure miss shooting paper clips with a rubber band,they sure stung.

How bout riding backwards in the back seat of the family station wagon with that big window down..

Or playing "pitch" for hours out in front of the house...

Hitch hiking everywhere you needed to go, although if you waited at the window and drank your coffee you could pick which neighbor would pick you up as you saw them leaving for work...

Hanging out in the town square with about 50 other teens, just playing frisbee and "other" things...

Pooling your money with 3 or 4 friends and buying a pony keg and starting a party...

We grew up in an old farmhouse with no insulation, cold as heck in the winter. Everyday my brother and I would have to break up palletts to burn through the night. One year dad decided to buy a ton of coal to prolong the wood supply as pallets would last very long...made the whole house smell like a train yard!!

We also got that spray in formeldehyde insulation, and there was a scare about the health benefits of the smell of it,'so my parents refused to come home for almost 6'months while the house was tested and the results came back. It was alright for my brother and I to stay and run the farm, but not my little brother and parents!! Hmm, come to think of it,'that may explain a few things!!!LOL!!

Ah, the good old days!! Geof

make believe my hand was a gun and point it at another student in school.

my 8 year old was punished at school for doing that & he simply stated his fingers spread that way helped him push back his hair lol

running out the front door after school & not coming home till dark....

my 8 year old was punished at school for doing that...

Isn't that a sad statement of what each of us have lost as a result of the rediculus Big Brother attitude this government has brought us?
Zero Tolerance and Political Correctness are the antithesis of common sense and truth. Pity.

Sounds like some great childhoods! I'm only 29 but enjoyed most of these things. Going camping with just or blankets and a handful of change on our bikes. Driving my dads old truck to the store way before I had my license.being able to get a deer every now and then for extra food and having the sheriff join us for back strap.having to save a breach born calf shoulder deep at ten...ewwww. But worth it to watch the guy stand up when I got him out. Having street lights as cerfew and not having to worry about 50 sex offenders on one block or meth heads stealing anything left out side.

I'm only 28 and have done many of these things but it also helped growing up in a rural area i'm sure. I remember riding in back portion of my grandfathers 63 split window corvette. There's only two seats in those things lol. I had a little fold up chair he would put in front of the back glass and thats where i would sit. Waving at cops and everyone else. Had bb gun wars, hauling hay not real fun there but i don't see to many kids doing it anymore. When i was 12 or 13 i would drive my grandfathers rusted 66 charger down dirt roads to go fishing at the creek with buddy's. Dad just droping us off in town to go to movies and the drug store for ice cream. Yes my little town still has to this day a scoop of ice cream for a nickel.

-
Back