what did you spend ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
On your motor build ? Every way I add it up (differant heads and piston combos) I'm at $3500 in parts. Add in the machining cost Im looking at a good $4500 motor. :cry:

AdamR said:
On your motor build ? Every way I add it up (differant heads and piston combos) I'm at $3500 in parts. Add in the machining cost Im looking at a good $4500 motor. :cry:

I had mine done complete by a racing motor guy. Pan to carb everything new and top of the line with Eddie heads ported and polished . Except original crank and rods. $ 9000.00

Block, stoker crank, forged pistons, h-beam rods - $1500 from an individual.

Machine work (bore and hone with 4 sleeves, zero deck, line bore, neatral balance crank, etc, etc) and short block assembly - $2200

Eddy aluminum heads, out of the box - $1300

Misc parts (cam/lifters, head studs, gaskets, deep oil pan, roller rockers, etc, etc) - Another $1200-$1500

The look on ricer boy's face once I get it installed.... priceless!

AdamR said:
:tongue9:

Gotdart is up to 6500 without labor and a few misc thing.

So as I see it for a motor that runs on the street without a hitch and runs
12.9 so far hoping for 12.7 or .6 in the fall off the line from idle without a glitch or hickup. No leaks not one single problem mechanicaly, I DID GOOD!!!!

Bought my motor from junkyard as a rebuildable core, On tear down found forged crank (later discovered it was a stroker )

engine ......................................................................$200.00

all block machine work .................................................$175.00

"J" heads rebuilt and bowl blended, milled .020-.030
2.02/1.60 valves and seats............................................$250.00
valve springs ..Sig Erson ...............................................$80.00

Cam ...donated by partshouse.........................................$0.00

Lifters...Rhoades...........................................................$90.00
2nd set lifters Racer Brown.............................................$120.00

Rockers & Pushrods & shafts...HD.....................................$240.00

1st intake ..Torker........................................................$120.00
2nd intake ...TM5..........................................................$80.00

carb 750 Holley dp...........................................................free
rings gaskets bearings ...................................................$250.00

sub total ..... $1440

BUT I had no labor involved since I
did it myself normally labor we charge $850.00

total $2290.00

No doubt you can build a good engine for less than what I have spent. It all depends on what you want. My motor is for street use, not track use. I will run it on the track, but it is not optomized for that. I should have killer low end torque, but it probably won't pull much past 5500rpm. But then again I will be running a 3.23 gear and hopefully at some point an overdrive tranny so I can cruise the Interstates at 80mph turning 2200rpm and getting 20mpg. :happy6:

OUTLAW said:
1st intake ..Torker........................................................$120.00
2nd intake ...TM5..........................................................$80.00
Slight deviation from the thread topic, but I am curious on your opinion about these two intake manifolds Outlaw. Are you still using the TM5? Where is the power band with this manifold? Does it flow enough to keep up with your stroker? This is the manifold I have for my engine.

Here's the break down for my 360 build;

360 engine complete: $50.00
New Intake: $144.00
Mag. Heads: $100.00
Engine Kit: $500.00 (pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump)
New Rods: $227.00
Carb: $ 0.00 (had it on the shelf)
Water Pump: $ 45.00
Distributor: $ 35.00 (rebuilt with custom advance curve by me)
Cam $110.00
Push Rods $ 39.00
Lifters $ 63.00
Machine Shop Work: $1300.00

TOTAL: $2613.00

Items I sold from motor I removed or didn't use from 360;

\6 Engine: $350.00
\6 Headers: $100.00
Heads: $100.00
360 Intake: $ 75.00

TOTAL: $625.00

NET COST: $1988.00

Was going to rebuild my 340 also untill I started looking at cost. Instead I found another motor all done (383) with low miles for 1200.00, so I bought that. I got lucky because the guy was local and I got to hear it run before he pulled it. Maybe you could look to doing something like that. Or, if you like the way your motor ran, and its just an oil pressure problem, put in new cam bearings, a reground crank, hone it ( assuming the cyl. aren't egg shaped) re ring it and stick it back together. You'd be surprised how many motors my dad rebuilt in his garage with JC Whitney rebuild kits for a few hundred buck that are still running after 10 years. Good luck with it

According to my records, I've put a little over $10k into my race car since 2001. That includes buying the car, new motor, new heads, new tranny, upgrading the rear, brakes, lots and lots of parts, new tires, etc.

If I remember correctly the motor was around $2000 (complete aside from the intake), the heads were $500. But the motor was fresh when I bought it, so I guess my response here is kind of worthless. :dontknow:

AdamR said:

Let's see....:-k

On second thought, I'd rather NOT add it up.... I'm into this lump for alot more than I bargained for. And I bet I'm no where near the 12's.....:angry7:

you could always do what i did. bought the dart for 17000.00 and guess what? he thru in a excellent built 340 for free! installed, broke in and all (lol)

When I added up the complete power train installed and running,including motor tranny and diffy,this is a 440 stroker 500 with max wedge heads and intake and the exotic valve train parts and pan to carb and pump to flywheel,the 727 manual valve body with trans brale and the dana 60 all set up running,I am into it for a little under 20,000$,and I have not done the transffer into canadian funds yet,and for gods sake,please do not send this post to the wife or I am history.She thinks every thing is only 50-100$ for each piece,Mrmopartech

Hey GOTDART!!
Ya the TM5 is great! All I have done to it is a little port matching and on the carb flange I opened it up to match my spacer plate I run. I have had a torker and a Weiand Victor (i think thats what weiand calls it) and a highly modified LD340 on this motor and the TM5 is without a doubt the better of the group. Pulls stronger from 2500 to past 7000 better than the torker (which didnt pull until 3500-4000) . Mine is a street racer and its is very comfortable in traffic(as comfy as any single plane can be ) would b my recommendation for any small block street manifold . Trust me you'll like it on everything but an all out banzai motor. I heard too that it is good with nitrous motors but dont know from experience

I bought everything new from carb to pan. It may have been cheaper to have bought a complete motor from a "warehouse" builder, but we wanted to pick an choose our pieces. 26K

572, Didnt know you were a member here. Love your wheels up luanches !

I always build my own engines. The 440 I am building for my 63 will cost me about 2k in parts. I do all my own porting and valve work but dont have a milling machine so I have to pay for that. My brother has a boring machine also and the scales to balance everything other then the crank. But I figure by the time I buy all the parts:

piston rings
cam brgs
rod brgs
main brgs
oil pump
oil pan
main studs
head bolts
freeze plugs
dist bushing and shaft
pushrods
rockers and shafts
valves
springs
gaskets
timing chain and gears
and so on !

I figure I will spend close to 2k in parts and I will do all the work myself plus I got my KB pistons and MP .557 cam for free ! Ron

Heres my update.

340 dynoed at 450 horse $2500
Built A904, 2.74:1 1st gear, 8" converter 500
3.91 suregrip 500

total $3500

Not bad at all.

To be totally honest I have no idea. I know I've bought several intake manifolds, cylinder heads, camshafts, torque converters and gear sets because I didn't have anyone to ask questions of. I do know I've spent over $30K on the car. Although I believe you could probably duplicate it for around $10K not counting the car itself.

-
Back