What do I need for a proper under-dash rewire?

-
I did the same as Redfish. If you pull the instrument cluster, that is 90 % of the wiring. With the instrument cluster & radio out you get to about everything. With the cluster out, you should probably solder all of the connections on the circuit board to the pins. A pencil eraser cleans up the copper nicely. I also put star washers under the ground nuts for better ground bite. Probably should replace instrument cluster voltage regulator while you are there if it hasn’t been done.

This can be like pulling a thread on a sweater, pretty soon there is a big pile of thread on the floor and no sweater left.

I bought a roll of under cabinet led light (off the clearance rack) the flexible kind with adhesive on the back and stuck it up under the dash. Lit it up really nice. Old eyes really need light. My dash was cut up for an aftermarket radio already.

355213ED-4D63-4AB8-9D95-B20825F0E078.jpeg

Wow! You guys are awesome, thank you for all the info! I do have a question about protecting the wiring, I know that Ma Mopar used tape to wrap the harness from the factory, but what's everyone's thoughts on the braided harness sheathing? We used it at my work and I like it a lot, it's relatively easy to install and gaining access again is easy if you need to fix or add something. I'm not too worried about keeping an original look at this point, but what do you all think about it?

I used black hockey tape to protect the wire harness after I was done. Just make sure you are done cause it isn't the easiest to remove after. It protects really well though.

Cley

Wow! You guys are awesome, thank you for all the info! I do have a question about protecting the wiring, I know that Ma Mopar used tape to wrap the harness from the factory, but what's everyone's thoughts on the braided harness sheathing? We used it at my work and I like it a lot, it's relatively easy to install and gaining access again is easy if you need to fix or add something. I'm not too worried about keeping an original look at this point, but what do you all think about it?
Post a photo or link. Its probably fine. Some guys use plastic convolute like later vehicles did and do. Regardless, I'd still wrap any splices with tape, then put the loom over it.

I stayed with the no adhesive tape wrap under the dash. Mostly because there are sooo many tape outs. I figure that's why we still find tape wrap in brand new vehicles.
I did add the vinyl split loom at engine bay harnesses when doing the upgrades there ( electronic ignition, headlight relays, etc.. ). Mostly because it looks better than the tape wrap. Pick and pull yard is the best source for that stuff. More than enough of all different sizes, a grocery bag full, 10 bucks total. New retainers from amazon or ebay.

Don't use black electrical tape for the harness, stuff is nasty after it gets warm/old and leaves residue on the wires. Rod

Don't use black electrical tape for the harness, stuff is nasty after it gets warm/old and leaves residue on the wires. Rod
And acts like a fuse if you get a fire, just ask me how I know that!:mob: I use "racers tape" Flame resistant not cheap though. I would go with the braid if you have access to it we used it on the aircraft in the USAF.

Ron Francis wiring kit check it out 24/7 and Kwik wire there are still some inexpensive solutions on market

I'm talking about this stuff. Looks pretty nice and easy to gain access to stuff if you need it again. View attachment 1715254203
Looks similar to what was use don the body harness into the trunk. Buyt my guess that is a little different if its the same as used by USAF like Halifaxhops says.
Those have a closure? velcro?

-
Back