What do I need to do to build a 1000hp turbo small block

-
Still building mine but I went ritter block, ported magnum heads hughes 1.65 rockers, super victor intake, twin 76mm with air/water intercooler. Motor is bored and stroked to a 426cid, should made 1000hp on pump and 1500hp on c12, fuel injection with megasquirt 3x system. I went with the ritter block due to extra insurance on enhancements over stock and priority main oil feeding, that and r3 blocks are hard to come by. I have the XR cast iron block. Once it's all done finally will post numbers on my build thread.

Still building mine but I went ritter block, ported magnum heads hughes 1.65 rockers, super victor intake, twin 76mm with air/water intercooler. Motor is bored and stroked to a 426cid, should made 1000hp on pump and 1500hp on c12, fuel injection with megasquirt 3x system. I went with the ritter block due to extra insurance on enhancements over stock and priority main oil feeding, that and r3 blocks are hard to come by. I have the XR cast iron block. Once it's all done finally will post numbers on my build thread.

And you are under $15000 right :) lol

Naw I tell my wife I'm under 6 lol jk, honestly I'm not sure but if your going to build it, build it right. I might be just under, thing is I cheated lol I bought the car with the turbos(smaller ones) inter coolers, fuel injection system, cage, and mini tub, so that's how I might be under on that, I'll have to add it all up once I'm done and see just what the engine costed not counting the little things like fittings but more then likely 15k plus

Anyone here had any experience at 800 horsepower at the wheels and what is needed to survive.[/QUOTE] Are you talking about the driver or the block? LOL

Good luck OP. You will need it. We have an avenger show up at the track occasionally with a crazy HP small block mopar and I would not want that headache in my life. Too many other options in life for that kind of power that won't require a second mortgage or psychotherapy.

However if you want to taste this forbidden fruit look up Bill Harris on FB. He is out of Maryland and will probably give you the info needed or atleast a starting point...

Good luck,
JW

From what I read the OP is asking about a turbo engine at or around 900-1000fwhp not an NA combo. A solid 408 combo with decent heads and a single 76 would get the job done.

Thanks for your reply. Finally somebody whose hit the thousand horsepower Mark. You guys are hard to find
We have built thousand horsepower engines before but they are six cylinder rice burners we call 1.5J and it takes a lot of RPM and boost to do it. I just don't know how the small blocks or big blocks hold up to that sort of horsepower and just trying to put up this post to find out more info before we invest money into something that could end in tears. We would much rather prefer to have an old school muscle car with that V8 sound. So apart from intake, turbos and heads etc is anything done to the block and in the Chrysler what is a 416. Is it a destroked 440 or a stroked 400 or small block. Thanks
It's a 340 based small block. This is my setup. Mopar small block r3 , forged 4 in stroke crank , h beam rods , custom turbo pistons with tool steel pins , Indy 360-2 cnc heads dun by Ryan at shady dells , roller cam Victor 340 intake and Csu carburator . Anything over 650 your going to need after market block and forged internals. Remember in a perfect world at atmosphere 14.7 presure a 500 hp motor . You put 15 psi of boost you get 1000 hp. But we don't have a perfect turbo system . If you do your homework and build a good system . A good flowing 1 to 1 pressure ratio system . You can get there with no problem .

From what I read the OP is asking about a turbo engine at or around 900-1000fwhp not an NA combo. A solid 408 combo with decent heads and a single 76 would get the job done.

Unless your 408 combo is a Ritter block or a race block I’m afraid not.

My friend is building at 1400hp Procharger small block with W9 heads and an R3 block...my guess would be it’s a 50 grand build with everything

Unless your 408 combo is a Ritter block or a race block I’m afraid not.
That would definitely be a plus but not necessarily a requirement. We’ve done 1400ish fwhp on 360cube sbf’s and I think the stock 360 block would be better than that ford. We’re only talking 900-1000fwhp here.

That would definitely be a plus but not necessarily a requirement. We’ve done 1400ish fwhp on 360cube sbf’s and I think the stock 360 block would be better than that ford. We’re only talking 900-1000fwhp here.

Was that in a factory iron ford block?

Non Siamese 351 Ford block using an old Y2K turbonetics. It did have modular iron caps. We also did a procharched sbf on a better Motorsports block that made 1635hp on the dyno.

I’ve never built a sbm to failure but I was planning a 700 hp build two years ago. I saw enough evidence on here to convince me that my block wouldn’t live long at that power level. I then talked to two reputable builders and both said the limit for a sbm is right around 600/650.

I’ve never built a sbm to failure but I was planning a 700 hp build two years ago. I saw enough evidence on here to convince me that my block wouldn’t live long at that power level. I then talked to two reputable builders and both said the limit for a sbm is right around 600/650.
Everyone has their opinions and it’s the same with the big blocks. They argue it all the time. For an NA or nitrous combo, the threshold is lower than with a turbo combo so those comparisons don’t translate directly. Obviously the R3 block would be preferable but a turbo sbm with some steel caps and a short fill would live at 800whp. Staying stock stroke would be even better. Just my opinion.

A 528 Gen II Hemi with a screw blower on alcohol . Done every day . OR a the same motor normally aspirated on nitro . Also, done every day . N.B., alky fuel is about $3.00 per gallon . Nitro is about $86.00 per gallon

A 528 Gen II Hemi with a screw blower on alcohol . Done every day . OR a the same motor normally aspirated on nitro . Also, done every day . N.B., alky fuel is about $3.00 per gallon . Nitro is about $86.00 per gallon
A screw blown G2H on M1 should make twice what the OP is looking for at a minimum.

Well, your 2 reputable builders are wrong. You spread a myth, an incorrect myth. This is why the internet is so dangerous.

Everyone has their opinions and it’s the same with the big blocks. They argue it all the time. For an NA or nitrous combo, the threshold is lower than with a turbo combo so those comparisons don’t translate directly. Obviously the R3 block would be preferable but a turbo sbm with some steel caps and a short fill would live at 800whp. Staying stock stroke would be even better. Just my opinion.

Finally a voice of reason. With a good intercooler and an even better fuel injection set up with a safe tune a stock block small block Mopar will take 1000 anytime. I've done it. And much more. Stock stroke is always a good idea because its lighter and less stressful on the block. I would say if one was really careful on parts purchases you could build a long block for under 10K pretty easy. I spent 7K on heads and valve train that really wouldn't be necessary at that level. A set of ported Eddy RPMs and LA rockers from comp would do the trick and save a ton of money. I made over 1000 with a small solid flat tappet cam and Mopar W2s.

I like Hemirunner's ideas. I think with block fill and a a stout girdle with steel mains would do it.......or come close enough. The thing is though, why chance it? What if it fails? It's gonna fail at the worst possible time. At HIGH RPM under LOTS of boost. It's gonna tear up everything. How much more would an aftermarket block add to an already astronomically expensive build? Why take the risk? But if you do, I think Hemirunner's layout is as "good" a one as you can come up with for a stock block. Now, moving to a big block would be a game changer. More meat, more weight, more metal. I think a big block prepped in the same manor would live better. Honestly though, spending this much, the aftermarket block ain't too far of a jump. JMO.

I like Hemirunner's ideas. I think with block fill and a a stout girdle with steel mains would do it.......or come close enough. The thing is though, why chance it? What if it fails? It's gonna fail at the worst possible time. At HIGH RPM under LOTS of boost. It's gonna tear up everything. How much more would an aftermarket block add to an already astronomically expensive build? Why take the risk? But if you do, I think Hemirunner's layout is as "good" a one as you can come up with for a stock block. Now, moving to a big block would be a game changer. More meat, more weight, more metal. I think a big block prepped in the same manor would live better. Honestly though, spending this much, the aftermarket block ain't too far of a jump. JMO.

Its funny how people suppose or think what it will take. No high boost or high RPM necessary to make 900-1000 RWHP for a stock SBM. If you build a solid motor that makes 500hp an intercooler 15psi on a soft tune will do 900 pretty easy. It doesn't take exotic hardware to make 500hp in a stock cubic inch SBM so one could be done on a budget and live just fine. Block fill is old school technology and no one thinks about the unnecessary heat that it contributes to the pistons and rings. This is not the way to go anymore.

Jason Digbys limited drag radial Dart is putting down closer to 2000 hp
You spelt 3000 wrong. :D I'd build a 6.4 BGE Hemi with apache heads, Good internals and a decent sized turbo will make 1000+ easy. This will most likely be my next build...

Last edited:
You spelt 3000 wrong. :D I'd build a 6.4 BGE Hemi with apache heads, Good internals and a decent sized turbo will make 1000+ easy. This will most likely be my next build...

I’ll be watching that car run in a little over s month! I’m pumped

-
Back