What do you guys think about the new Avenger pro stockers?

-

ssduster360

Reaction score
After two rounds qualifying at Pomona:

Allen Johnson - #5 - 6.611 @209.39MPH
Vinnie Deciglie -#6 - 6.613 @209.23MPH
V. Gaines -#13- 6.647 @207.82MPH

allenjohnson.jpg

vinnydecigle.jpg

vgaines.jpg

I think the Stratus was WAYY better looking. But..Ive been a big fan of pro stock forever........so I will take what i can get...

I guess you mean their appearance, but I lost interest in Pro Stock years ago when they became cookie cutters, like Nascar.

FUGLY! They have been melted down to the pontiac size. This is what has hurt nascar, Pro Stocks version of the COT.

Meh, Looks just like all the others.
The sound and physical feeling you get watching the cars go down the track is great but I lost interest in pretty much all forms of car racing (except baja) along time ago due to the John Force syndrome.

Granted Conders did burn a lot of people all the way from Seattle to Cali building this rail and he just had to sell the rail and the push wagon to pay off some debt but the guy tells it the way it is!
He explains damn near all auto racing within the first few minutes of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otvLbe54iZU

for the most part I agree they are cookie cutter cars, but if it makes the Mopars more competitive I like them. My version of pro stock would be the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro bodies. Not one body with different stickers. but THAT WOULD MAKE TO MUCH SENSE.

for the most part I agree they are cookie cutter cars, but if it makes the Mopars more competitive I like them. My version of pro stock would be the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro bodies. Not one body with different stickers. but THAT WOULD MAKE TO MUCH SENSE.

I agree 100%. Bring out the Chally pro stocks!

Wylde1.

Psn Driver Vehicle ET Speed
1. Mike Edwards Penhall/K&N/Interstae GXP 6.578 211.00
2. Jeg Coughlin Jegs.com Cobalt 6.591 210.08
3. Ron Krisher Valvoline Cobalt 6.595 209.75
4. Allen Johnson Mopar/J & J Racing Avenger 6.595 209.56
5. Rodger Brogdon Kent Services & Trucking GXP 6.603 209.36
6. Greg Anderson Summit Racing Equipment GXP 6.608 209.82
7. Vinnie Deceglie Mountain View Tire Avenger 6.613 209.23
8. Greg Stanfield Nitrofish GXP 6.617 209.30
9. Jason Line Summit Racing Equipment GXP 6.619 210.24
10. Ronnie Humphrey Pro Stock Grills/THM GXP 6.619 209.75
11. Kurt Johnson Mark Chriastopher Cobalt 6.627 209.39
12. Johnny Gray Gray Motorsports GXP 6.627 208.52
13. Steve Spiess Billet Specialties Cobalt 6.631 208.26
14. Shane Gray Gray Motorsports GXP 6.642 208.23
15. Larry Morgan Lucas Oil/Summit Mustang 6.645 207.88
16. Justin Humphreys RaceRedi Motorsports GXP 6.650 209.10
--------- Not Qualified ---------
17. Bob Yonke Adrenaline Motorsports GXP 6.654 208.14
18. Danny Gruninger www.usrecognition.com Stratus 6.657 207.62
19. Warren Johnson K&N Filters GXP 6.659 208.36
20. V. Gaines Kendall Oil Avenger 6.661 207.82
21. Rickie Jones Elite GXP 7.859 129.29
22. John Nobile Nobile Racing Mustang 14.265 207.82
23. Gordie Rivera Gordies Speed Center GXP NT

challenger is too big of a car...too wide..

avenger is 8 inches narrower then the stratus at the A pillar...goes thru the air easier....

The Challenger couldn't compete, it's too big. That's the reason Warren Johnson was bitching when the Neon Pro Stocker came out, it was narrower than his car. It's also the reason the Dakota Pro Stock truck wasn't real competitive when they started. The Chevy S10 was way narrower. Later NHRA relented and let them narrow the Dakota but the class never really took off. And it's probably the same reason why the Mustang isn't going to be a real contender despite having a nearly identical design engine to the Hemi Mopar.

Either way they are not the stupid and totally misnamed COT one size fits all that NASCAR has. They retain their original shape although the Avenger has been converted to a 2 door. I'm sure Warren will ***** about that too until he figures a way to use it to his advantage.

Yes I know they all share many similarities in their construction but they are different.

I know the Challenger and Mustang can't compete with the cobalt or gxp aerodynamically, but what I was talking about was a body with the factory dimensions for all three AMERICAN car companies, Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro.

Meh, Looks just like all the others.
The sound and physical feeling you get watching the cars go down the track is great but I lost interest in pretty much all forms of car racing (except baja) along time ago due to the John Force syndrome.

Granted Conders did burn a lot of people all the way from Seattle to Cali building this rail and he just had to sell the rail and the push wagon to pay off some debt but the guy tells it the way it is!
He explains damn near all auto racing within the first few minutes of the video...

Very interesting and thought provoking video. I like stuff that makes me think, but he has it all wrong.

Building a race car that can't win a race is like breeding a dog that can't bark or bite. He's "all about the art" but art in it's own end is expensive as he found out. It's just for the rich like fancy choppers that break going over railroad tracks and Donks that can't get out there own way. No Siree, not for me. Then he talks of mega thousand dollar paint jobs........ no thanks, can't afford it. He says "It's not about being cool at all" yet he has a skull stuffed in his scoop. C'mon pal, give me a break. Is that rail cool? Fk YES! Could I afford to own it and maintain it? Fk NO! Nor could anyone I know personally.

He entirely misses the point of winning a race. He never once says how winning makes him feel or the how the heft of a first place trophy seems so light at photo time. He never mentions the games people play at the starting line or the feeling of having a tach cable break in the middle of a run but still winning 'cause he knows his machine so well he can guess his shift points by ear. If no one ever raced to win, there would be no such thing as racing...!!

All of the goofy looking stuff came out because someone thought it would give them an edge. Form followed function! That's the inherent beauty of it all. :-D

One point I do agree on is how expensive it is to go to the races as spectator. It's ridiculous. The sound and feel is insane though and can't be duplicated in any motorsport. I have to admit I spend more time walking around the pits trying to get someones attention and asking questions, especially at the local E.T. drags. I've met some nice people (the majority), some dickheads (the minority), and always come home from the races with a little bit more knowledge than I went in with. I guess its all about how a person approaches the sport, the crew and the drivers and one gets out of it what they put into it. :read2:

Just food for thought.

The Challenger couldn't compete, it's too big. That's the reason Warren Johnson was bitching when the Neon Pro Stocker came out, it was narrower than his car. It's also the reason the Dakota Pro Stock truck wasn't real competitive when they started. The Chevy S10 was way narrower. Later NHRA relented and let them narrow the Dakota but the class never really took off. And it's probably the same reason why the Mustang isn't going to be a real contender despite having a nearly identical design engine to the Hemi Mopar.

Either way they are not the stupid and totally misnamed COT one size fits all that NASCAR has. They retain their original shape although the Avenger has been converted to a 2 door. I'm sure Warren will ***** about that too until he figures a way to use it to his advantage.

Yes I know they all share many similarities in their construction but they are different.

WJ will ***** and cry all day long. Cant stand that guy.

I cheered out loud when I saw he didnt make the Pomona field !! :cheers: :cheers:

oh , and congrats to AJ going to the semi !!

Great thread, wish I had seen it before the race. I am going to watch it again now, thanks!

I am going to a dinner on Thursday night were Allen Johnson and some of the other Mopar drivers are the guest speakers. There are only 50 guests.

Phoenix races start on Friday.

Mike

I am going to a dinner on Thursday night were Allen Johnson and some of the other Mopar drivers are the guest speakers. There are only 50 guests.

Phoenix races start on Friday.

Mike

post thoughts/observations/ opinions ...

THX!

I generally watch nhra and ihra for the prostock class only..unfortunately mopar hasn't been a force in the class in 20+ years..

Has it really been 20 years since Alderman and Geoffrion dominated with the Wayne county motors? Seems to me there was 2 or 3 years in the mid ninetys that they were untouchable... or am I just remembering things? I remember WJ whining his *** off then too! :)

-
Back