What do you think? Best outside car storage for this winter

-

Popdart

Reaction score
When there are no other choices but to store a car outside during a northern winter, what do you guys think is the most effective way to do it? (Without portable garages, new buildings, etc.).:dontknow:

Tarp on the ground first, then a tarp over? Then wrap it up?

What do you think?

I gotta do it, but want to be smart as I can. Rog

Did it a few years ago, much like you, with no choice.

I didn't put a tarp down under the car, just had the car cover over it.

I was sorry, as the wheels took a lot of time to clean up in the spring. Other than that, everything was fine.

Of course, I always throw moth balls around on the floor, just to prevent any mice from liking the environment. I do that whether it is inside, or outside.

Dryer sheets inside the car is a mice deterrent and works very good and you don't have the moth balls gas smell in your car. put a couple under the back seat and a couple under the front seat and same in the trunk and engine bay.
I parked mine in 4 jack stands and kept the tires off the ground so I could go out and start it once every two weeks and let the trans and rear move a bit.
Do not park it under a tree , I am sure you know this already :happy10:

Great advice MeMike! I will try the dryer sheet thing this year. Getting the moth ball smell out used to take some time, but with the convertible, it disappears rather quickly. :D

Did it a few years ago, much like you, with no choice.

I didn't put a tarp down under the car, just had the car cover over it.

I was sorry, as the wheels took a lot of time to clean up in the spring. Other than that, everything was fine.

Of course, I always throw moth balls around on the floor, just to prevent any mice from liking the environment. I do that whether it is inside, or outside.

I've also heard of putting baking soda on plates inside the car to help soak up moister.

Dryer sheets are great for a few things, I wipe my pants legs down with them for a tick deterrent and it work's, also for mosquitoes :happy10: Just whip your hat and shirt a little and it keeps them away, I learned this stuff a long time ago because I contracted lime disease 12 years ago and I do everything I can to prevent this from ever happening again, blood test's for three years Know I am clean :happy10:
Look it up on line :read2:8)8)

never heard of the dryer sheets, great idea . . . better than moth balls (which I have been using!). It will be parked on the ground, so do you think tarp under will help prevent moisture on the underside?

Becareful just wrapping a tarp around the car, when I kept my Dart convertible outside with just a tarp on it, the window would blow the tarp around some ( it was still securely bungee corded to the car ) and ended up scratching the paint. It didn't bother me since I knew the paint was gonna need redone but if yours has a nice paint job you probably don't want that. I know there are some car covers that are 'padded' so that doesn't happen.

Rich

I've also heard of putting baking soda on plates inside the car to help soak up moister.

In high humidity areas, I am sure that is a good move. My boss has a condo down in Ft. Lauderdale, and they keep a bowl of baking soda in the front floor board.
I jumped in one of the cars to go see a customer, and my hands turned black from the mold on the steering wheel. The whole dash was covered as well. Uhgh!

Right now my interior is out, mice would freeze to death in it... Mines off the gound, guess I'll just tarp it...

If you are parking over dirt or grass a tarp on the ground is necessary. I had a tarp over a car parked on dirt one winter and the entire car rusted and oxidized so bad it looked like it was under water. I even put plastic down before building the shed floors and under the garage slab before pouring.

Bring it to my house for the winter, hehe. :toothy10:

Tarps can trap moisture as others have mentioned. X2 on the dryer sheets discouraging critters.

Don't EVER leave a car with a tarp over a car, you are better off leaving it uncovered! Putting a tarp over a car is the worst thing you could do because it just traps the moisture under it.

Don't EVER leave a car with a tarp over a car, you are better off leaving it uncovered! Putting a tarp over a car is the worst thing you could do because it just traps the moisture under it.

Agree.........get a good quality car cover, use a tarp for the ground. Cheaper is not better when it comes to a car cover, at least that's been my experience.

A steel shed located on my highest/dryest ground. It cost me 725 bucks total. I had spent half that amount on car covers before getting wise. Also , We get atleast one day in every winter month when I can drive it out for some fresh fuel, ( show 'er a lil love ). Just hook up the neg' battery cable and go.

Tin foil pie plates with barbecue charcoal will absorb alot of moisture,tarp the ground and spray underside with rust check(aerosol)vaseline your chrome.Nova Scotia(where I'm from) is surrounded by salt,this what we do.

Tarp on the ground won't hurt. Put it on jack stands off the ground. As others have already said, no tarp over it. use a breathable car cover that has a soft under layer. The wind working on the cover can buff through the paint given enough time. It wouldn't hurt to protect the hard edges where the cover is really tight with something like a folded towel. The "corners" of the car like the end of the front fenders and the end of the rear quarters is where this is likely to happen. L8r

Jim

Ok, it looks like a tarp on the ground and a car cover is pretty good advice. It will get me through this winter, next year I won't have this problem. Ok, ready for a laff? This isn't for my Dart, it's in the polebarn all comfy. It's for my 86 Corvette. I plan on working on the Dart this winter. So the Corvette gets the "couch". Unless someone is interested in buying it. Thanks gentlemen . . . Rog

Do what ya want but I would never wrap my vehicle in a plastic tarp and the moisture from just over the winter would make you wish you didn't. My Signet had never been parked outdoors till last year and all I used was plywood on the ground and a great car cover.

Memike's suggestions are spot on. Building some sort of lean too over the car to shed rain/snow and cover with a breathable soft lined car cover would protect it the best otherwise don't cover it with a tarp. Tie it down securely so the wind won't beat your car to death with it. Gravel or cement will drain best. If over dirt or grass lay down a tarp 1st. Put it up on jack stands to save your tires and allow better airflow underneath. The rodents will have to jump higher to get in! This will allow you to start it up and put it in gear to spin, slowly, to help burn off moisture inside the motor and the engine compartment, keep the fluids circulated, your seals lubricated and the battery charged. If you can't start it regularly spray some light oil down the carb till it dies and disconnect the battery for storage. Coat battery terminals with grease to prevent corrosion either way. Wipe down chrome with a greasy cloth to slow down the rust. The home/hardware stores sell a desiccant that will suck up moisture in the interior and trunk and is more industrial than baking soda. You will need to monitor and replace this stuff regularly as it doesn't last forever. Some form of rodent repellent under the seats, trunk, glove box and maybe engine compartment. They love the top of motors as nesting sites. Don't forget to remove if starting. This is about all you can do except pray to keep the rust demons away.

If you use rodent poison or decon besure to check it very often, if the rodent eats that crap and dies in your car, it is really going to stink. I would only put these outside your car. Cheap mouse traps work well, we always put them around the car on the outside....get them before they can get in :snakeman:

I forgot to mention put some fuel stabilizer in the gas and run it a while so it makes its way completely through the fuel system.

Got in a bind with my valiant first winter i owned her & just bit the bullet and put the car in a 10 x 20 storage area a mile up the road. Cost $80 dollars a month and ended up using it 3 month's. Was easy to access car and start periodically. Just a sugestion but might be good option if just storing one winter.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back